The First Meet 5/17. Reaction Thread

I'm not sure I agree there is a 'rowdy frat boy ' image on the board.

Numz and I have been extremely vocal with our songs at all of the supporters groups meetings since day 1 and as a result of this were invited onto the board as 'directors of song'. Wanting this club and any SG to succeed we obviously accepted. However, we have made it clear from day 1 that even though we are extremely keen to ensure this side of the game-day experience grows organically and not to have the "at minute 8 sing this song" scenarios during a season. It's unfair to view the entire board an unorganized, drunken mess due to a small group of people singing songs and having a few pints.

If you do have loud and at times, obnoxious fans as part of the SG (which I'm sure we can come across as) surely the place to do it is through chanting?!

As my good pal @Numz15 was getting at earlier, if you feel uneasy with the drinking and the singing I'm sorry guys but that is your own issue, the pair of us are more than approachable and I will happily chat for extensive period To anyone about all aspects of this fantastic sport and this potentially great club.

Hey Lawson, I should take it back. As I said it the post, it's not a "frat-boy image". I don't know how many times I can take it back lol.

I appreciate the work you guys put it and I look forward to following your lead with the chanting etc. All I am saying is that there are all different types of people coming to this club. Let's go out of our way to make them feel welcome, especially if they are new to this culture.

To preface my post I wasn't able to read each post thoroughly. I do have a general idea of peoples' reactions but bare with me as I may repeat some of the same points. I will try to break my post up into my individual reactions to different issues that have come out of Saturday, they are as follows:

My reaction to meeting overall:

I agree with many of you that it was a disjointed and unorganized. There is plenty of constructive criticism that can be directed towards our leaders. But at the same time we must look at ourselves as well; whether we are officially leaders or not we have strength in numbers and we have a duty. However, those are topics I want to address later.

As for the meeting itself, I think we should consider having official meetings outside of bars. I loved the atmosphere and getting together with you guys and then heading to Nevada's but if our model is, for example, Timbers' Army (which I personally don't mind) then this meeting left a lot to be desired. When someone has the floor then we shouldn't be shouting out and interrupting. The nature of the meeting was an official supporters group meeting, it is meant to be professional. Meetings of other organization don't included knocking back a few pints. We do the official organizational business bit and then we can go out to get drinks, sing, and get rowdy.

Otherwise, I applaud and thank Zach and the rest of the guys for introducing themselves and providing us with some more information as to the structure of the board, the supporters' club, the name vote, and other issues (such as charity and community outreach). I feel comfortable with the efforts we've made thus far and the foundation we are laying. This leads me to my next point.

My reaction to the board structure/leadership/transparency:

I came into the meeting with concerns about the board structure, leadership, and transparency and I left with concerns about them as well. I do not have any issues with our board structure, how duties are segregated, or all the guys we have on it. I don't have issues with most of our organization and plan.

I do take issue with how it was all decided. I recognize and appreciate the efforts of all the guys that have taken the lead in the past year (Yes, a year of thought and effort and organization and passion) and I think most, if not all, of them have already more than proven to me that they meet the burden of their positions. Of course, time will tell, but up to this point, with the bumps and bruises along the way, I am behind them. But that being said, I would have preferred and continue to prefer the current board to be interim until more transparent and democratic vote can be taken.

As I said, our leaders have put in a lot of time and effort and have done and said the right things and if I am correct their efforts and leadership will stand even through a vote. A vote simply brings legitimacy and a sense of fairness to all those who have joined recently and will continue to join throughout the year and the further future.

My reaction to the Shiekh:

I'll keep this short and sweet. I initially liked the Shiekh character, I had concerns, but I got swept up in it. Andy is one of the guys I am in closest contact to in the group. I consider him a friend. Even now I do not have any problem with it. But now that everyone has made their opinions clear, it is clear to me it has to end.

In this hypersensitive PC world, it doesn't matter whether you are okay with this caricature or not. It also doesn't matter if you think it is racist or not. It doesn't even matter if it is truly racist or not. We live in a world of opinion. These pictures get out there and we are branded racists. It can end us, so we must end it.

My reaction to you, the supporters:

You're blue, you're white, you're fucking dynamite.

Last edited:
Hey Lawson, I should take it back. As I said it the post, it's not a "frat-boy image". I don't know how many times I can take it back lol.

I appreciate the work you guys put it and I look forward to following your lead with the chanting etc. All I am saying is that there are all different types of people coming to this club. Let's go out of our way to make them feel welcome, especially if they are new to this culture.

And I look forward to following YOUR lead with chants etc!!

Numz and I are only in this position as the board felt it needed representation - I have always believed that chants and everything should be a spur of the moment kind of thing. However, I did grow up in England and understand things are done slightly different here so that needs to be respected and embraced by the SG and that is where we are trying our best to help.

Reactions: Samuel Youn
To preface my post I wasn't able to read each post thoroughly. I do have a general idea of peoples' reactions but bare with me as I may repeat some of the same points. I will try to break my post up into my individual reactions to different issues that have come out of Saturday, they are as follows:

My reaction to the Shiekh:

I'll keep this short and sweet. I initially liked the Shiekh character, I had concerns, but I got swept up in it. Andy is one of the guys I am in closest contact to in the group. I consider him a friend. Even now I do not have any problem with it. But now that everyone has made their opinions clear, it is clear to me it has to end.

In this hypersensitive PC world, it doesn't matter whether you are okay with this caricature or not. It also doesn't matter if you think it is racist or not. It doesn't even matter if it is truly racist or not. We live in a world of opinion. These pictures get out there and we are branded racists. It can end us, so we must end it.

I agree wholeheartedly. It was a fun character for a while, but after seeing the outburst on Facebook and on twitter, it has to end. We have enough enemies in the area and on social media and this just provides another round of ammo for these guys. Like someone said on Facebook, it’s not about whether it’s politically correct or not, it’s about covering our ass. I don’t want the SG to get swept up in a media frenzy and have it reflect poorly on our club before we even take the field.

I have absolutely no problem with how the board was formed. They formed the group and the structure, hell the meeting would never have happened without them. If anyone wanted to have a leadership position they could have, but these guys took the initiative to form the group. Instead of complaining, people should be thanking them for their time.

I was at the meeting as well and came in with concerns regarding board transparency and organization. I left content. It was made very clear that the model is the Timber's Army and Timbers 107ist. It was stated they are in contact with them with regards to organizing the group along their, incredibly successful, lines. The current leadership was not elected, which is regrettable but necessary. The leadership stepped up and have been successful so far in my opinion. However, it was explicitly stated that every leadership position will be elected. They mentioned a model of two year terms with elections in the off year and a shadowing period of one year so that the newly elected individual can learn on the job. That was a highlight that made incredible sense to me. I agree with earlier posts that stated that future meetings should not be in a bar and should be more serious. When I spoke to Brian, who is one of the VPs he agreed and that is a goal moving forward. Overall, I thought there was an excellent mix of views at the meeting, between rowdy fratboys and pensive graphic designers. I am very happy that I was able to attend and hope to be involved as much as possible moving forward. I am confident that the leadership is moving in the correct direction on all fonts (except the names, which I didn't like :(). As for the sheikh, I thought it was harmless silliness. But since it got blown up should probably be avoided. Although I will say that when the sheikh bought Man City that costume was highly visible at matches and no one threw a tantrum then.

Also, read how the model works at the timbers army website: http://timbersarmy.org/aboutus/who-we-are

I like the discussion that I am seeing here. I think we are all heading in the right direction as a group. Nothing that starts from scratch without much direction happens smoothly. As a group, we all have different aims, and ideas for what our ideal SG looks like. We all have different sensitivities. This forum and this particular thread is a place to air it out. I understand how many can feel that the SG has some frat boy tendencies, but when you get a group of lads together with drinks involved this behaviour is a possibility. I was in the back with numz and the other lads, and they were chill as fuck. As a loud person myself, i understand that it may seem intimidating.
I put my two cents in on the sheik costume not because im some upright citizen, but because i worry that what seems like a joke to us, could offend, and possibly end, our SG before we even have a chance to grow. As a group we need to step back and look at how we may be seen to the outside world. I would rather have an overly cautious view of this then get a fair right repuation in the ML fucking S.
I want to state that I am grateful to those who took the onus to start the SG, and I have full faith behind them.

Cornell - I think it's the blackface which has people up in arms about the Sheikh costume, rather than the costume itself. The blackface never happened in England.

If that's the case then I of course apologise - I've just seen a few people commenting on it already.

Cornell - I think it's the blackface which has people up in arms about the Sheikh costume, rather than the costume itself. The blackface never happened in England.
did you see the picture?? Clearly wasnt blackface

Briefly, on my phone. It wasn't easy to tell when the picture was as small as it was.

I do not really want to get into this again, but I think people were equating people wearing blackface to someone wearing a thawb (i believe it is called. Sorry if I got it wrong).

I have absolutely no problem with how the board was formed. They formed the group and the structure, hell the meeting would never have happened without them. If anyone wanted to have a leadership position they could have, but these guys took the initiative to form the group. Instead of complaining, people should be thanking them for their time.
Agree 100%. To my knowledge not only were these guys the only ones to step up, do all the leg work and get things rolling; to this day they're still the only guys willing to step up, do all the leg work and get things rolling. Is there a group of guys out there looking to get voted in, because they think they can do a better job? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is.
Again I think the board should remain in place and would survive a vote.

I would vote for each and every single one of them.

And for the record I do thank them and hope they keep up the good work.

Same here. Thank you to all who have done the heavy lifting to get things rolling!

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny
Agree 100%. To my knowledge not only were these guys the only ones to step up, do all the leg work and get things rolling, to this day they're still the only guys willing to step up, do all the leg work and get things rolling. Is there a group of guys out there looking to get voted in, because they think they can do a better job? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is.

Same here. Thank you to all have done the heavy lifting to get things rolling!

I made mention of it because original concerns I had. To my knowledge there isn't anyone else out there to step up. Other people brought it up and I just wanted to echo the sentiment.

At the end of the day I think it would be beneficial to the board because it would make them undisputed.

I agree with most of what you said, except for the fact that people who missed the 3 events shouldn't have a say, which is ridiculous. Being supporters and having other life responsibilities should not diminish your say. And that is exactly the kind of snobbery that has upset people to begin with.

I see where you're coming from. I just think at some point effort matters. Obviously life responsibilities take precedent over things like a Supporters Group, but at what point does that make you a fan of the team and not a supporters group member? Serious question not rhetorical. I don't think its being a snob at all. I think it's being rational.

Yeah I thought blackface was a metaphor. The guy was not wearing blackface, he is a brown skinned man. I'm not sure but he may in fact be middle eastern. I also think he works in finance and has volunteered and has been working on the financial aspects of the group, so we started calling him the sheikh. He seems to have embraced the nickname ;).