The First Meet 5/17. Reaction Thread

I see where you're coming from. I just think at some point effort matters. Obviously life responsibilities take precedent over things like a Supporters Group, but at what point does that make you a fan of the team and not a supporters group member? Serious question not rhetorical. I don't think its being a snob at all. I think it's being rational.

I agree effort matters, but there are cases where other commitments come into play. At least in my case, I'm in college not in NYC so it's hard for me to make a lot of meetings and stuff. I don't think that should make me any less of a member. I'm also under 21 for a few more months so the bar crawl would not have been an option if I was able to attend.

I agree effort matters, but there are cases where other commitments come into play. At least in my case, I'm in college not in NYC so it's hard for me to make a lot of meetings and stuff. I don't think that should make me any less of a member. I'm also under 21 for a few more months so the bar crawl would not have been an option if I was able to attend.

Well I think is an overlap between what is a practical and real versus what is ideal. Ideally, voting makes sense, being able to have a strong voice regardless of missing a few events.

However, in reality, we have to understand that the effort was put forth by members of the board. They've borne the risk of donating their time and effort. They've done more than any of us and it makes sense for them to be the custodians of our supporters group.

They are our founding fathers. We didn't vote for our revolutionaries before we won the country. We had to win it first.

I think it would be more productive to just get more involved if you want to help shape things. Despite any of the concerns I voiced before I think the guys have given us every opportunity to join and help and grow.

I see where you're coming from. I just think at some point effort matters. Obviously life responsibilities take precedent over things like a Supporters Group, but at what point does that make you a fan of the team and not a supporters group member? Serious question not rhetorical. I don't think its being a snob at all. I think it's being rational.
Not being at meetings has no impact on being a supporter. Its about supporting the team, not going to a bar to hear 40 minutes of announcements, drinking, and dressing up in controversial outfits. Maybe you are less of a supporter because you have fewer posts online than I do? Please.

Its about supporting the team. Its about paying the fee. Thats all being a supporter is. Are you saying I am not really an American Outlaw because I haven't been to any administrative meeting? That my opinion sho m?

So yes, it is being a snob to suggest that you are more of a supporter than someone else based on you definition of how much effort they put in to support the club. Everybody supports in their own way, and everybody is equally important. The only people who aren't supporters are losers who spew exclusionary bullshit.

Last edited:
Well I think is an overlap between what is a practical and real versus what is ideal. Ideally, voting makes sense, being able to have a strong voice regardless of missing a few events.

However, in reality, we have to understand that the effort was put forth by members of the board. They've borne the risk of donating their time and effort. They've done more than any of us and it makes sense for them to be the custodians of our supporters group.

They are our founding fathers. We didn't vote for our revolutionaries before we won the country. We had to win it first.

I think it would be more productive to just get more involved if you want to help shape things. Despite any of the concerns I voiced before I think the guys have given us every opportunity to join and help and grow.
I agree with this, I only take issue with the people who say we dont deserve a say because we have not attended the meetings to this point. If you narrow down the "supporters group" to people who have made the meetings, you get under 100 people. Good fucking luck with that.

Reactions: Buckley
I agree with this, I only take issue with the people who say we dont deserve a say because we have not attended the meetings to this point. If you narrow down the "supporters group" to people who have made the meetings, you get under 100 people. Good fucking luck with that.

As long as it doesn't let it stop you then I say let the haters hate. The SG needs members and I believe want more people to take active roles, no matter when they started coming to meetings.

According to his rationale myself and Dan don't belong either. Shit, all the ideas used by the group were in some form or fashion grown and sown here. So all the members of our Forums, despite being the creative arm of the group, have no say? This is the attitude that divides.

I know this isn't what John meant and I'm not trying to villify him but I think we (those that haven't been to all the functions) deserve a voice. If even a small voice.

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC

I have no problems with the board, I'm just saying that I have not been able to attend a meeting and don't want to be seen as less of a supporter because of it.

Reactions: NYCBlue
Not being at meetings has no impact on being a supporter. Its about supporting the team, not going to a bar to hear 40 minutes of announcements, drinking, and dressing up in controversial outfits. Maybe you are less of a supporter because you have fewer posts online than I do? Please.

Its about supporting the team. Its about paying the fee. Thats all being a supporter is. Are you saying I am not really an American Outlaw because I haven't been to any administrative meeting? That my opinion sho m?

So yes, it is being a snob to suggest that you are more of a supporter than someone else based on you definition of how much effort they put in to support the club. Everybody supports in their own way, and everybody is equally important. The only people who aren't supporters are losers who spew exclusionary bullshit.
I don't think attending meetings affects whether you are a supporter or whether you should have a say. I think the answer is yes to both regardless of attendance. However, attendance at such events is a rough (ROUGH) gauge of interest and activity in the group. It carries more weight as well for the leadership positions of the group. If the president or vice-president was infrequently attending organizational meetings that would be a problem. But attending a bar crawl or not, and attending an organizational meeting or not does not affect supporter status, if you will. Being a supporter is just that, supporting the team.

Reactions: NYCBlue
IF NYCFC IS YOUR TEAM THEN YOU ARE A SUPPORTER IN MY BOOK!!!

Exactly. I couldn't care less what people here or elsewhere think of my effort or lack thereof. Why should anyone? I'm a season ticket holder. What more do I need to do? Even if you're not a season ticket holder or go to matches then you can follow the team in other ways.

I'm glad there are those here who have the time and can make the effort to put things together. I'm probably not going to go full out and join up in other events or whatever because I don't have the time or interest in doing it.

If that's not enough for some then tough.

vintage_steampunk_i_am_your_biggest_fan_post_card-r1453a8693a3c457ba8894ed60a0b6d4a_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

i had a massively good time on Saturday. Keep it simple, don't overthink and have some fun.

Reactions: lawson
I think there's always room to improve. Having CONSTRUCTIVE discussions is always the way to go. We just got started we can't and won't be perfect. We all got our hearts in the right place. Let's work together and make this right.

Reactions: einwindir
Once in the history of the game people that perhaps knew each other or just happened to frequent the same pub or meet their friends in the same square tended to go to games together.. Perhaps they got a few songs that they all knew, perhaps they even had to stand their ground on occasion meeting rival fans before or after the game.
In due time supporters groups was formed by some of them, others became firms or the nucleus of Ultras or but most just stayed a bunch of people that knew each other and attended games together.

What on earth makes it so complicated nowadays? :D

Reactions: grandsolo
I'm glad we got this all out. Now if everyone could just vote for the Third Rail as our name...:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene