The First Meet 5/17. Reaction Thread

I'm joking of course. If you want to support the team from your computer or home thats fine, I like many others, support a team thats in Europe. Of course going to events, fundraisers, games, ect. gets you a bit more familiarized with the regulars. You recognize faces, friendly hellos, become bear hugs, and stiff hand shakes with a stiff drink after. Its good to see everyone is starting to calm down a bit. As one of the "frat boys" I will do my best to try "rush" each and everyone of you, in person or on the web.

I voted for the Natives. I don't get "Third Rail," is it because we are electric? SCNY is too bland, I think it will be an impediment to branding and marketing, which turns into an obstacle to recruiting.

I voted for the Natives. I don't get "Third Rail," is it because we are electric? SCNY is too bland, I think it will be an impediment to branding and marketing, which turns into an obstacle to recruiting.
Third Rail is a nod to the subway, a staple of NYC history. The third rail supplies power to the train, as a supporters group we provide energy to the team.

Wow. I took a beat down today. In my mind, unnecessarily, but that's because I poorly constructed what I wanted to say. Thanks to einwindir einwindir for being firm and having a good idea that I didn't mean it so harshly. The original point is that it's pretty shitty to lob bombs at people from afar when you're not doing anything or offering suggestions on how to change whatever it is that's bothering you.

As for the who is a supporter or who isn't a supporter... Maybe that's me being a soccer noob. It was a legitimate question that I asked. What makes someone involved in a supporters group? Dan has said that THIS FORUM isn't the supporters group on countless occasions. In my mind, supporters group in soccer means the guys attending games, meeting up, singing, and the like. Everyone else at the stadium loves the team, maybe even equally, but cant or don't want to do all of that. In America, we call everyone fans. There's something being lost in translation to me. Maybe I'm just thinking of Supporters Group = Ultras or something.

Anyway, the main point of my "exclusionary" talk (ridiculous to make that leap) was to say "offer help, suggestions, or your time if you want to criticize."

And MyBoyCity, I know you get all fired up. We agree, we disagree, whatever... but wow you like to attack like an insane person. Just have a conversation, man. You're really wound tight. As for your American Outlaw comment, yea paying your dues and supporting USA makes you an American Outlaw, but do you have any say whatsoever in the decision making process at AO? No. So that's a horrible comparison.

I have strong opinions, and it is probably apparant to anybody who has been on this site for a while. I like to think it is conducive to better debate, but some people have a tough time handling it. I am sorry you felt like I was attacking you.

Edit: I see einwindir agrees with the above post as well, obviously I have challenged you as well, and I did think it was beneficial for the site to have someone questioning it, if only to force clarity for the admins and users. I guess it was not well recieved either.

This is just the way I am. If that is unwanted here, I will step back and leave you guys to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrMartinezNYC
I have strong opinions, and it is probably apparant to anybody who has been on this site for a while. I like to think it is conducive to better debate, but some people have a tough time handling it. I am sorry you felt like I was attacking you.

Edit: I see einwindir agrees with the above post as well, obviously I have challenged you as well, and I did think it was beneficial for the site to have someone questioning it, if only to force clarity for the admins and users. I guess it was not well recieved either.

This is just the way I am. If that is unwanted here, I will step back and leave you guys to it.

Be yourself man and if need be raise hell. If you are passionate about something then you have the one trait absolutely necessary in a supporter.

I do second most of the sentiments here about the Facebook group. I just left it because I felt like I did not fit in. It does have a very immature feel to it. If you do not agree with someone over there you get bashed for it. I am very glad I came over to the forum because it seems that this is more my type of group. We can actually have a constructive discussion.

Having said that I think we all need to take a deep breath and relax a little. This was the very first meeting ever. Things are going to be rough and bumpy for a while. We are building something from the ground up. From my understanding there will be an umbrella group with smaller niche groups under it. I for one did not want to associate with many of the guys from the Facebook group but as evident from this thread there are people more like me involved. I think everyone will find their own group of guys/girls and then on game day we all come together as one large group singing and supporting our club. I don’t think anyone should just leave the group right now without seeing where things go, its way to early.

For clarity I like to think of the LIKE button as an ADDS TO THE CONVERSATION button. You and I have had it out before but that in no way means I want you to take a step back. I agreed with most of what John said, except for that bit. FWIW I agree with 90% of the things you say, and whatever I don't agree with I respect because you speak your piece. I've said it before, don't go anywhere.

I do second most of the sentiments here about the Facebook group. I just left it because I felt like I did not fit in. It does have a very immature feel to it. If you do not agree with someone over there you get bashed for it. I am very glad I came over to the forum because it seems that this is more my type of group. We can actually have a constructive discussion.

Having said that I think we all need to take a deep breath and relax a little. This was the very first meeting ever. Things are going to be rough and bumpy for a while. We are building something from the ground up. From my understanding there will be an umbrella group with smaller niche groups under it. I for one did not want to associate with many of the guys from the Facebook group but as evident from this thread there are people more like me involved. I think everyone will find their own group of guys/girls and then on game day we all come together as one large group singing and supporting our club. I don’t think anyone should just leave the group right now without seeing where things go, its way to early.

Totally agree. I think that everyone has different voices and it's great that everyone is being open about it. Overall, everyone involved seems to be working towards the same goal. Just looking at the evolution of this thread, we've all had our own issues but we are working towards the same cause. I played a hand in blowing shit up but I think it's good to get it all out there one way or another. This is NYC and we are all different and opinionated. New Yorkers are known to be particularly aggressive. We should use this as our strength in a positive way.

Since this particular thread has started I've seen the board members get more involved and the community as a whole has responded in a positive way.

This club forms it's identity with each member's interactions. Let's keep the dialogue/constructive feedback/optimism going and always remember that we are the first few that will build this club's identity.

I've been a union member for almost 20 years. I've sat in on many meetings and brainstorming sessions that have driven it's members through the gamut of passion and emotion. Nasty things were said, feelings were hurt, opinions hammered home. This was us fighting for pay, benefits etc. In the end we all knew we were fervent for a common cause that we can all benefit from. A common cause.
I'm using this analogy because it helps put some perspective on what many have already commented on: Discussion and frank opinion is essential for growth and health of the group. There is no right or wrong way to say what you feel, short of name calling.
I applaud the effort that the founding board members have put in, it is yeoman's work. Same here on the Forums, thanks for your efforts in creating a community for us.
I believe it's clear that the most fleshed out discussions happen here on the Forums and I would encourage more supporters, and leadership, to take part. FB is ok I guess for notices and the like, but the format here is conducive to cohesive ideas/opinions.
I'm still unsure of how ideas/opinions are conveyed between the two groups and it feels discussions that could be helpful, fall through the cracks occasionally.

P.S. Who is Chance Michaels and why is he not on these forums ;)

P.S.S. I love you guys

P.S. Who is Chance Michaels and why is he not on these forums ;)

Second time in the same thread this has popped up! Seriously @BToto920 Z zl10 @Jon Sanchez @lawson @Buckley Numz15 Numz15 (god i hope i didn't forget anyone) can we get an intro from Chance? We only got to see him speak for around 5 minutes at the meet. I approached him and inquired about his presence on the Forums - said he'd get around to it. Anyway we can get him to get around to it??

Also, Rich, your analogy is perfect. I'm a union guy as well (Teamsters Local 810!) maybe this is why I've preferred the format of the Forums since the beginning - it reminds me of a City Hall/Union Hall style of business . Rather than FB or Twitter where we just respond in a series of headlines and blurbs.

Hello everyone,

This is Chance. I joined this board when it first got started, but haven't been around in a while. I post under the name "NYisBLUE" here to match my Twitter account and blog, but might have to switch to something more obviously "me". We'll see how this works.

First of all, I was glad to meet so many of you in person on Saturday, and talk with you about what you like so far, and what you don't. Since then, I have been reading as many threads here as I can. It makes me very grateful for your constructive criticism. I have read a lot of it, agree with a great deal, and take all of it in the spirit it was intended. As I said at the meeting, we will stumble and fall as we get this thing going. I'll need all your help to pick us up and keep marching forward.

Many of the questions and concerns posted in this thread seem to have been already addressed, and I don't want to drag them back out again. But I'm starting a thread called "Ask Chance" where you can ask me questions or make suggestions directly. I look forward to hearing from you.

Chance Michaels
President, [Group-You-Can-Help-Us-Name]

Thanks Chance.

Do we all agree that we should just legitimize the "board" temporarily with a vote? That way we can move forward. Seems like there is overwhelming support for what these guys have done so far - they certainly deserve an opportunity to move us forward.

Do we all agree that we should just legitimize the "board" temporarily with a vote? That way we can move forward. Seems like there is overwhelming support for what these guys have done so far - they certainly deserve an opportunity to move us forward.

If there's an overwhelming support, why is a vote necessary? I think its a little premature to be voting people in and out of the board; we've only had a few meetings that couldn't have happened without those people and we're still months away from the new season.

Do you have someone else in mind that is more deserving of a board member spot? Im just wondering, not trying to bust balls.

Reactions: Johnny and Gene
If there's an overwhelming support, why is a vote necessary? I think its a little premature to be voting people in and out of the board; we've only had a few meetings that couldn't have happened without those people and we're still months away from the new season.

Do you have someone else in mind that is more deserving of a board member spot? Im just wondering, not trying to bust balls.

A simple solution would be a vote of confidence. Not a position by position vote. And hell it can happen months from now.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm not sure I'm crazy about the Community Outreach project they've decided to pursue either. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/unchartedplay/soccket-the-energy-harnessing-soccer-ball
It's a soccer ball that acts as a battery. Kick the ball, energy is "created", plug in your iphone so it can charge for 20 minutes. I'd rather the members of the SG choose a project to get behind. Instead of investing money in someone's kickstarter, why not sponsor a Youth Soccer team? Why not hold a drive where we can provide uniforms or equipment to underprivileged children so they can play in a league? Why not find empty lots that could house a proper soccer field for kids? Anything other than throwing money at a kickstarter.

Z zl10 @BToto920 please consider this.

That's not true at all. Look at their website, http://www.unchartedplay.com/ It's also one of the fastest growing, exceptional innovations in the world. Not to mention that they are entirely global, energy efficient, and soccer based.

Reactions: NYCBlue and DiRoma
That's not true at all. Look at their website, http://www.unchartedplay.com/ It's also one of the fastest growing, exceptional innovations in the world. Not to mention that they are entirely global, energy efficient, and soccer based.
In fairness, this is the same thing from the kickstarter and not much different than what I described. I've got no issue supporting this cause, but if I had a choice I'd prefer something more community oriented. Something local to NYC.

Reactions: 413Blue