Tim Pernetti Out As Nycfc President

It's not easy to get a business off the ground, and despite being a Rutgers guy, he's done a fantastic job of opening doors to different sponsors and commercial partners. He should be thanked for that.
You a Syracuse fan or something?

doctorhoosier doctorhoosier they don't need a yes man, they can do whatever they want anyway. They need someone to run the club well, and they picked a guy with experience. What experience did Pernetti have running a soccer club?
Don't get me wrong - I'm not certain that Pernetti was the right guy for the job either. The people who I trust had a generally high opinion of him, but the club's been a clusterf**k under his leadership.

The fact, though, that this is a Manchester City guy being installed less than a month after the biggest point of conflict the club's had with ownership tells me though that Manchester felt NYCFC was out of line. You can have a different, totally justified view on it. But that's the conclusion I've come to after looking at the facts and this club's track record.

It's impossible to know what's going on behind the scenes unless you are a decision-maker, so it's difficult to weigh in at this point. I will reserve judgment until I see what, if any, effect this has. On its face it seems like a positive move (TBD). I like to focus on what I see as easier to gauge, squarely crucial and readily apparent, namely the coaching, personnel decisions, scouting prowess, and whether the bosses are willing to spend money in the best interest of the team. I've been very impressed with all of these so far (hiccups aside). I am a tough critic, and notwithstanding that I love the positive wave leading up to March.

Yes, its impossible to know what's going on behind the scenes. I doubt that Pernetti was fighting the good fight for NYCFC. Probably just not suited for the job.

Doesn't change the facts about his replacement, either.

Glick's very experienced, and I'm encouraged by his experience. I don't think a guy with his resume is a bad hire, but as someone who is uncomfortable about the farm team image, I'm very concerned for a few reasons.

1. Why is Pernetti bailing? A month before the start of the season? It's really odd timing.
  2. If this move is to give NYCFC more autonomy (as I'm gathering from some of you), why would they put a Manchester City employee in charge of NYCFC? That seems like it'd give Manchester more influence over the club -- not less.

To be clear, beyond this point - this is speculative.

The question I'd ask - did they tell Pernetti that he had a new boss, and he bailed? It appears they created a position above Pernetti, installed a Manchester City employee to take charge of the NYCFC operation, and told Pernetti to deal with it.

The fact that the hire was announced simultaneously with Pernetti's departure lends credence to this argument.

My guess? The NYCFC front office was pushing back too much on the lack of club autonomy, so Manchester installed a puppet head to the club with clear Manchester City ties and allegiances.

That's a tried and true corporate and political tactic, not "black helicopter shit", for the record.

That's all speculative, from whichever point.

This guy's remit wherever he's been has been bringing in big corporate sponsorship, which he's achieved. CFG have appointed a guy with a proven track record. He's a corporate guy, his allegiance is to whoever is paying his wages and now that's NYCFC via CFG.

There's going to be a flow of employees between clubs, the same as there is between any businesses with a shared ownership. This time NYCFC is 'pinching' an MCFC employee, a good thing for NYCFC surely?

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm also neither for nor against this.

I'm not sure that the stadium deal is driving this. I think to get that done you need someone with lots of connections in the clubby world of NY real estate and politics. Glick doesn't seem to be that guy. You also probably don't put that person in charge of your entire business operation but hire him or her as a consultant. I would hope NYCFC has someone like that working for them, possibly behind the scenes. I would think Glick is coming over to take charge generally.

Jokester in me says he's running from the coppers and everyone here better be more alert on the roads:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...s/manchester-city-executive-tom-glick-6812241

Martin Edelman is a New York guy with real estate connections. I didn't realise he was on the NYCFC board too.

As a City fan I really don't know anything about Tom Glick, other than he is an American and was the Chief Executive at Derby County.

I don't think there are many who do know much about him.

He joined the club about 2 years or so ago and has been working in the background steadily increasing our sponsorship throughout the world.

He definitely seems to have done a very good job, so hopefully he will continue to do so for New York.

Grant Wahl has been irritating the hell out of me. I swear he has never had one good thing to say about NYCFC, but for some reason he loves Orlando and takes every opportunity to remind us how amazing they are. It's NYCFC, so he has to put a negative spin on it....
I wouldn't worry about him too much. He's clearly against NYCFC so he'll take his shots when he can.

As a City fan I really don't know anything about Tom Glick, other than he is an American and was the Chief Executive at Derby County.

I don't think there are many who do know much about him.

He joined the club about 2 years or so ago and has been working in the background steadily increasing our sponsorship throughout the world.

He definitely seems to have done a very good job, so hopefully he will continue to do so for New York.
Derby is owned by an American who probably wanted a fellow countryman there to run things.

I'm hoping that this change will be like that ExtraTime podcast last month, when LAFC's president Penn and Atlanta's president Eales was on. It was clear, one was a soccer guy who knew business, the other guy was a sports guy who dabbles in business. Hopefully Glick will be more like Eales and a good all-rounded leader.

I wonder what Wahl defines as Bad Vibes? What does that even mean?

Derby is owned by an American who probably wanted a fellow countryman there to run things.

I'm hoping that this change will be like that ExtraTime podcast last month, when LAFC's president Penn and Atlanta's president Eales was on. It was clear, one was a soccer guy who knew business, the other guy was a sports guy who dabbles in business. Hopefully Glick will be more like Eales and a good all-rounded leader.

I wonder what Wahl defines as Bad Vibes? What does that even mean?

Well I am sure Glick has a good knowledge of the game and seems to be very much involved in US Sports prior to joining Derby.

Who is Grant Wahl? Is he an ex-player?

I wouldn't worry about him too much. He's clearly against NYCFC so he'll take his shots when he can.
The concept that a journalist (and unlike many who report on this team, he is actually a journalist) is "against" a team is pretty ridiculous, Christian. It's not their job to be "for" or "against" teams.

There's been a lot of negative to report about NYCFC in a short time frame. "A lot of bad vibes" isn't inaccurate if you consider some of the shit that's gone on recently, and you can look at today's news in two very, very different ways. He's got more information on this club than I do, for sure.

Reactions: Paul and NYCFCFan10
That's all speculative, from whichever point.
Those two questions were asked based on the facts available - not speculation. I don't think they were unreasonable, but you've got your opinions and I've got mine.

This guy's remit wherever he's been has been bringing in big corporate sponsorship, which he's achieved. CFG have appointed a guy with a proven track record. He's a corporate guy, his allegiance is to whoever is paying his wages and now that's NYCFC via CFG.

There are a ton of issues with this club, and exactly zero of them are with "getting sponsorship". Many of them are due to the connection between the two clubs, and this only furthers that connection. If this guy had any other name on his recent CV than Manchester City, I'd love this hire. But this smacks of a move to keep Reyna and Kreis in line. It's a common tactic.

There's going to be a flow of employees between clubs, the same as there is between any businesses with a shared ownership. This time NYCFC is 'pinching' an MCFC employee, a good thing for NYCFC surely?
It's positive for the club if you desire a more overt connection between Manchester and New York. If you're wanting a club that has any degree of autonomy and gives a shit about its New York fanbase, I can't say with any degree of certainty that this is a good move.

Reactions: Paul and NYCFCFan10
Soriano - the boss of MCFC
Glick- worked for MCFC
Reyna - Played for MCFC
Kreis- brought to Manchester to learn the MCFC way for months

Interesting management.

The concept that a journalist (and unlike many who report on this team, he is actually a journalist) is "against" a team is pretty ridiculous, Christian. It's not their job to be "for" or "against" teams..
You're kidding right? Reporters frame their narrative all the time. What other 'bad vibes' are there then? What kind of reporter puts that out? It's as bad as 'anonymous sources'.

Soriano - the boss of MCFC
Glick- worked for MCFC
Reyna - Played for MCFC
Kreis- brought to Manchester to learn the MCFC way for months

Interesting management.

New club owned by group that own MCFC. Conspiracy solved.

There are a ton of issues with this club, and exactly zero of them are with "getting sponsorship". Many of them are due to the connection between the two clubs, and this only furthers that connection. If this guy had any other name on his recent CV than Manchester City, I'd love this hire. But this smacks of a move to keep Reyna and Kreis in line. It's a common tactic.
I get that where you coming form but you sound like a gut who thinks the government is put to get him.

It's positive for the club if you desire a more overt connection between Manchester and New York. If you're wanting a club that has any degree of autonomy and gives a shit about its New York fanbase, I can't say with any degree of certainty that this is a good move.

No 3 really huge mistakes makes it ok to question that but the fact also point to Pernetti leaving for a better job because he isn't the right guy for this one. Manchester sent over an American that the had in there mist who is more qualified for the job. I get your concern but it is also coming of as paranoia. This guy seems better suited lets wait and see how things change.