U.S. Open Cup 2017

Thanks. So no "extra" spot can open based on who wins this year, unless Toronto (or another Canadian team) wins MLS Cup I guess. If one of this year's winners of US Open Cup or MLS Cup wins one of those 2 again next year, then a slot opens up. I'm not going to worry about how those are filled until it gets closer to one of them likely happening.

Yup. The Canadian team is the wild card this year. If we finish #2 is SS to Toronto and they win the MLS Cup, then I beelive we qualify this year for 2019.

This is all to fix the problem of playing in CCL 2 seasons after qualifying, so don't mind the temporary confusion or lack of spots.

And yes, let's worry as we get closer. A lot can happen between now and November.

Yup. The Canadian team is the wild card this year. If we finish #2 is SS to Toronto and they win the MLS Cup, then I beelive we qualify this year for 2019.

This is all to fix the problem of playing in CCL 2 seasons after qualifying, so don't mind the temporary confusion or lack of spots.

And yes, let's worry as we get closer. A lot can happen between now and November.
If Toronto finishes 1st for the SS, and we finish 2nd, then whichever team finishes 3rd is going to be pulling for us to win MLS Cup (provided they don't).

They just conducted the draw for the semifinals and finals...

EAST: FC Cincinnati/Miami FC will host Red Bulls
West: Sporting KC will host San Jose

Priority to host final: SKC, RB, FCC/MIA, SJ

They just conducted the draw for the semifinals and finals...

EAST: FC Cincinnati/Miami FC will host Red Bulls
West: Sporting KC will host San Jose

Priority to host final: SKC, RB, FCC/MIA, SJ
Oh the embarrassment if RB loses to Miami/Cincy.... hope it's Miami - playing in their humidity will level the playing field since RB will probably fly in the day before after a weekend match.

If Toronto finishes 1st for the SS, and we finish 2nd, then whichever team finishes 3rd is going to be pulling for us to win MLS Cup (provided they don't).

No. SS winnner doesn't go this year. Only the 2 cup winners. If we won the USOC cup (which we can't) that scenario will make sense.

However, if Toronto wins the SS and we finish second. We can qualify if any Canadian team or the USOC cup winner win the MLS Cup (or we win the MLS cup). So Toronto, Vancouver, NYC or USOC winner gets us in; as it stands now AND if we pass Chicago. Not too shabby odds, but way too early to discuss.

Reactions: Ulrich
No. SS winnner doesn't go this year. Only the 2 cup winners. If we won the USOC cup (which we can't) that scenario will make sense.

However, if Toronto wins the SS and we finish second. We can qualify if any Canadian team or the USOC cup winner win the MLS Cup (or we win the MLS cup). So Toronto, Vancouver, NYC or USOC winner gets us in; as it stands now AND if we pass Chicago. Not too shabby odds, but way too early to discuss.

I don't think this is actually known yet. They're making 4 spots out of 2017 and 2018. So which year's runner up goes, or is it based on combined points? Because Concacaf it feels more like they'll make up a ruling if they get a Canadian MLS cup winner or if someone wins back to back cups.

Long story short there are plenty of funky scenarios if 4 different US teams don't win the next 4 cups.

I don't think this is actually known yet. They're making 4 spots out of 2017 and 2018. So which year's runner up goes, or is it based on combined points? Because Concacaf it feels more like they'll make up a ruling if they get a Canadian MLS cup winner or if someone wins back to back cups.

Long story short there are plenty of funky scenarios if 4 different US teams don't win the next 4 cups.

Yeah, like I said I wasn't reading the rules. Combined points over 2 seasons is something very interesting. I've never seen that in a sport before.

And you're right, they'll just probably wait to see if there's a double winner over the next 2 years if there's no rule somewhere.

I'll be at the Miami/Cincy match.

It's so hot and humid down here that you're in a FULL SWEAT within 20 seconds of stepping outside.
Really really hope Miami wins. I want to see RB run themselves ragged in those conditions & still lose.

Reactions: JayH
Really really hope Miami wins. I want to see RB run themselves ragged in those conditions & still lose.

I think it'll be all home teams here on out:

QF4: Miami over Cincy

SF1: Miami over Red Bulls
SF2: Sporting KC over San Jose

Final: Sporting KC over Miami

Fun matchup tonight at 7:30 in Miami. Winner faces the Red Fools.

Important fact. If Miami win, the semifinal will be in Miami 3 days after our game against New Jersey. If Cincinnati win, the game is the following week.

One more reason to root for Poku and Miami in this one.

And since Silva is in unconfirmed talks with Miami Beckham United, you don't have to root against the NASL squad on this one because if Miami FC leaves the NASL it's a nail in the coffin for NASL.

Reactions: adam
And since Silva is in unconfirmed talks with Miami Beckham United, you don't have to root against the NASL squad on this one because if Miami FC leaves the NASL it's a nail in the coffin for NASL.

Yup, if Miami FC wins the USOC, it makes too much sense to do anything by incorporate that squad (and silva's cash TV connects) into Beck's MLS stadium/franchise. I just wonder if that team is cap friendly if you turn 3 players into DPs and 1 into TAM.

Yup, if Miami FC wins the USOC, it makes too much sense to do anything by incorporate that squad (and silva's cash TV connects) into Beck's MLS stadium/franchise. I just wonder if that team is cap friendly if you turn 3 players into DPs and 1 into TAM.

That's the interest thing. If Miami FC NASL Poku were to join Miami MLS, he'd have to go through the allocation ranking. Miami would likely be the first team on the list but still, would he be the best player to use it on?

That's the interest thing. If Miami FC NASL Poku were to join Miami MLS, he'd have to go through the allocation ranking. Miami would likely be the first team on the list but still, would he be the best player to use it on?
Unless they make a special deal or arrangements to fold Miami FC into Miami MLS. I know, I know. That's crazy talk in MLS.

Special deals. Ha!

I wonder how quickly Silva shuts up about promotion and relegation if that happens. My guess is that the whole idiotic pro/rel argument dies as a serious discussion if this happens. In a few more years the dollar figures for implementing it will have likely grown so large that D1 pro/rel becomes impossible from a practical perspective.

If Miami FC join MLS Poku becomes one of MLS's best players and requires either a very large allocation money contract or a DP slot. Supposedly he's making north of $700k a year but no one really knows the exact numbers. And lets be honest here, as much as we liked Poku, he is definitely not worth that salary on an MLS team.

This goes to a larger point if the deal winds up being something to the effect of Miami FC being promoted, that team has a lot of very overvalued contracts on its books, and if they don't want to suck they need to figure a way out of most of them.

This goes to a larger point if the deal winds up being something to the effect of Miami FC being promoted, that team has a lot of very overvalued contracts on its books, and if they don't want to suck they need to figure a way out of most of them.
All MLs players have to sign MLS contracts, because they become players employed by the league assigned to a team instead of players employed by the team. Therefore, these players will either sign the contract given to them, or they walk away with whatever stipulation is in their NASL-style contract regarding termination on the part of the club - probably the balance of their contract unless not guaranteed.

All MLs players have to sign MLS contracts, because they become players employed by the league assigned to a team instead of players employed by the team. Therefore, these players will either sign the contract given to them, or they walk away with whatever stipulation is in their NASL-style contract regarding termination on the part of the club - probably the balance of their contract unless not guaranteed.

If that's the case, who wouldn't take the golden parachute and land in a league other than MLS? Unless there is a major marketing deal attached to playing in MLS; I don't see how it makes sense.

If that's the case, who wouldn't take the golden parachute and land in a league other than MLS? Unless there is a major marketing deal attached to playing in MLS; I don't see how it makes sense.
That's only if there's a guaranteed contract signed. If you're an American on the team, how easy would it be to head somewhere else that's paying more? There's a reason these guys are playing in the NASL. For many, it may be worth it to take the MLS pay cut for 2-3 more seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam