Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
So many good goals.

My quick unavoidable thought when I read this by Footy in the Best Goals thread was "so many bad ones, too." I don't think it's worth an organized vote with a video collection. I'm not that cruel. But I'm curious to see what everyone considers the worst goal we gave up this past year. Use any criteria you like: worst team defense, worst 1-on-1 defense, worst keepers flub, most heartbreaking, whatever. There are no rules.

I'll start by voting for the Finlay's goal off the free kick at 90+4 in Columbus in August. It infuriated me so much I wrote up a detailed frame by frame breakdown of the breakdown. It cost us 2 points and a win we arguably didn't deserve but seemed to have in hand.

Honorable mention to Oduro's goal in minute 90 at Yankee Stadium April 27, when it seemed we would finally get the first home win of the season in 5 tries. Another free kick and bad set piece defense.

I try to block these things out. But how about that Saunders almost header back into his own net? That one wasn't a goal, but sticks out in my mind of the catastrophe that could have been. I think it was in one of our last few home matches of the season.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I try to block these things out. But how about that Saunders almost header back into his own net? That one wasn't a goal, but sticks out in my mind of the catastrophe that could have been. I think it was in one of our last few home matches of the season.
Or way back when Saunders tapped a ball right into Larin's head and it rebounded in for a goal.

Or way back when Saunders tapped a ball right into Larin's head and it rebounded in for a goal.
This is my vote. I think. There were indeed so many, and there could have been many more. But that one was just such a clear example of how not to play the keeper position.

I think Saunders actually regressed this year from bad to "wait, is this a practical joke?"

I was sitting next to you when Saunders placed the ball on larins head for a loss in April. Worst goal is ever seen in my life
All the worse because it was followed by 83 minutes of us dominating possession and the attack while orlando kept 10 men in the box against us and we never scored.

For me, the most disappointing goal was the second one Toronto scored during the first leg, particularly how Mata gave up on the play multiple times within just a matter of seconds. Any effort would have stopped the goal at the outset as well as at the back end. Given how the series played out it may not have made much of a difference, but in realtime and for a week thereafter I felt really awful about it. Lack of talent like JS is excusable, but giving up particularly in such a crucial spot is not.

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski
All the worse because it was followed by 83 minutes of us dominating possession and the attack while orlando kept 10 men in the box against us and we never scored.
Yet again, indicative of our problem. We don't really have a strength. Infuriating to me.

If we're a play from the back, defend starting at midfield team, we damn sure need to be able to break down a low block - if not to score, to at least get a shot.

We use a barbell tactic, but we shifted our high risk tactics to sit on the low reward part of the curve. It's honestly like we call ourselves hedging when all we're really hedging is our own upside. We're writing covered, in the money calls for free or some shit if we stay with these tactics.

Without going back and looking at any video, several that stick out:

1) The second goal from @ SKC - I believe that it was Medranda who got a ball way outside the box, and then had enough time to stop, settle the ball, and then hit a slow roller that Saunders missed. That was awful.

2) The first goal when RSL came to YS last year - I believe it was a long ball to Yura who shook Hernandez off like a rag doll and scored. Awful 1-to-1 defending. That whole RSL game was comedy - RSL scored 3 goals on 2 total shots.

3) The Vancouver goal that people have been mentioning where Saunders whiffs on the distribution and hands it right to a Vancouver player.

You could probably do a "worst hits" of possession blunders from the back. The goal where Mullins fell down and then ended up scoring was also a facepalm moment.

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski
I remember one goal away from home where Slosh took one of his short goal kicks to a defender just outside the area, who was then closed down. Whatever the passage of play between the two of them and the attacker, it ended in a penalty kick. So, from our own incompetence, we turned a goal kick in to a goal conceded in about 30 seconds.

That definitely had me shaking my head.