2017 MLS Preseason Thread

http://www.mnufc.com/post/2017/01/24/full-mnufc-preseason-list

They have no signed goalkeepers. One was acquired via the SuperDraft and remains unsigned. The other three are trialists and preseason invitees.

CLAUDIO REYNA AND DAVID LEE, JUST SEND THEM SAUNDERS. GET A PINCH OF GAM AND AN INTERNATIONAL SPOT FOR TWO YEARS FOR KHEDIRA COMING THIS SUMMER!

Heart problems due to shaving?
Say what? How?

Just joking on the picture.

a5999fe2-276b-4ec7-a933-345b7515294d-large16x9_MLS_Cup_Soccer__ssundekomonews.com_7.jpg

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Atlanta still crushing the ticket sales. 27000 sold, and they still have 5 weeks to go. That's spectacular. Good on the folks there for buying a ticket. Should be fun until they suck, at which point no one will show. Atlanta is almost as bad as Miami with the bandwagoners.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united-surpasses-000-season-tickets-sold/q8w42IGxFNWrFYtiYIMMtL/
Hopefully will make for a nice secondary market to pick up tickets when we go down there in late May.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Its been a long week and I was watching the NJRB-Timbers preseason game instead of doing anything else. We worry about our central defender pairing and don't know whether we are going to have one or two international players in those spots. Meanwhile (according to the announcers) the top two candidates to pair with Ridgwell have a combined 22 minutes of MLS experience between them.

First prediction of 2017. NJRB is going to allow more goals this season than NYCFC. Not based on what I saw tonight, but I think they are thin there and its going to bite them.

Reactions: Ulrich and adam
Its been a long week and I was watching the NJRB-Timbers preseason game instead of doing anything else. We worry about our central defender pairing and don't know whether we are going to have one or two international players in those spots. Meanwhile (according to the announcers) the top two candidates to pair with Ridgwell have a combined 22 minutes of MLS experience between them.

First prediction of 2017. NJRB is going to allow more goals this season than NYCFC. Not based on what I saw tonight, but I think they are thin there and its going to bite them.

Ridgwell plays for the Timbers...I don't understand how your post relates to the Red Bulls.

Reactions: Schwallacus
It's also way too early to make that bold statement when a lot of clubs in MLS are still bringing in players.

Look at the Revolution for example. They brought in 2 starting caliber CB in a span of 2 days.

Plenty of off-season action still to come.

Ridgwell plays for the Timbers...I don't understand how your post relates to the Red Bulls.
Should have been two different posts. Same game.

I don't put stock in preseason performances, but I am not a big fan of circa 2016-2017 Ridgwell or Collin and they are the anchors of those teams D.

SpicyRoll is right, but preseason has started and I would take our roster of Ds over either NJRB or POR. NJRB just resigned Perinelle which makes me think they aren't going to make a big CB move.

This time of year the best statements are bold statements. Last season mine was Villa scoring more than Giovinco. This season its allowing fewer goals than NJRB. If I am right I will refer back to these posts. If I am wrong I will ignore them and nobody else will remember them.

Should have been two different posts. Same game.

I don't put stock in preseason performances, but I am not a big fan of circa 2016-2017 Ridgwell or Collin and they are the anchors of those teams D.

SpicyRoll is right, but preseason has started and I would take our roster of Ds over either NJRB or POR. NJRB just resigned Perinelle which makes me think they aren't going to make a big CB move.

This time of year the best statements are bold statements. Last season mine was Villa scoring more than Giovinco. This season its allowing fewer goals than NJRB. If I am right I will refer back to these posts. If I am wrong I will ignore them and nobody else will remember them.
I like Ridgewell. Only watch him 5-10 times per year in full games, but for some reason, I like his game. I think he's what we should hope for out of Chanot.

Did Freddy Adu get any minutes? If he did, how did he look?

Reactions: adam
Did Freddy Adu get any minutes? If he did, how did he look?
Freddy played 30 minutes. His skill was undeniable, but he wasn't in MLS preseason shape. He was totally gassed and not moving well enough to make me think he will make the roster.

My 17 year old daughter who is a USMNT fan watched a few minutes with me -- she had never heard the name Freddy Adu before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taurus
Freddy played 30 minutes. His skill was undeniable, but he wasn't in MLS preseason shape. He was totally gassed and not moving well enough to make me think he will make the roster.

My 17 year old daughter who is a USMNT fan watched a few minutes with me -- she had never heard the name Freddy Adu before.
Even when Freddy is in shape he gets gassed after 35 minutes. The guy can spin a ball on his toes and climb stairs with it stuck to his boot, but get him to last a full game is not physically possible - Poku is a marathoner compared to him.

Reactions: Sabo and adam