2017 Roster Discussion

I'm not sure Herrera is an everyday starter. At the very least he will have to earn it. I think only two of the following will be on the field at any one time: Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, Sands.

If you wanted to go defensive, you could take out whoever is playing CAM and use two 6/8's next to Pirlo (a la canchon 's post above mine), but with everyone penciling Chanot in for RB, I'm not sure we need two defensive-minded midfielders and what would effectively be a 3-man backline.
You could also pull out Pirlo and play Chanot or a CDM like Sands in his spot and put Allen in at FB

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
I think Vieira knows that Chanot is his best CB, so he is giving him reps elsewhere for flexibility purposes. I don't see why we would move one of our best players out of his best position. I think Ring will play CM in front of Pirlo and a CDM (Sands or Herrerra). Vieira seemed to like his wings to run for 60 to 75 minutes, then bring in fresh legs that can go at tired defenses. I think Lewis, Harrison, Camargo, Shelton, and Maxi will rotate in and out on the wings. I still suspect Gomez will be starting RB sooner rather than later.

Lewis--------Villa-----------Harrison
-----------Ring---------------------
---------Pirlo-------Herrera--------
Mata-----------------------Gomez--
---------Callens----Chanot----------
------------Johnson----------------

i dont know why but i love making lineups.

Also since people keep asking me about international roster spots I reached out to the league office and was told they don't have a public list of where the spots are.

So right now NYCFC definitely have enough international roster spots. They MAY have one extra (which would be for Herrera one assumes) but we have no way to confirm that unless NYCFC comes out and tells us how many they have.

I think Vieira knows that Chanot is his best CB, so he is giving him reps elsewhere for flexibility purposes. I don't see why we would move one of our best players out of his best position. I think Ring will play CM in front of Pirlo and a CDM (Sands or Herrerra). Vieira seemed to like his wings to run for 60 to 75 minutes, then bring in fresh legs that can go at tired defenses. I think Lewis, Harrison, Camargo, Shelton, and Maxi will rotate in and out on the wings. I still suspect Gomez will be starting RB sooner rather than later.

Lewis--------Villa-----------Harrison
-----------Ring---------------------
---------Pirlo-------Herrera--------
Mata-----------------------Gomez--
---------Callens----Chanot----------
------------Johnson----------------

i dont know why but i love making lineups.

I think it depends on what kind of player Ring is and how much offense we need/want on the field. I do agree that if we have two attacking fullbacks out there, it makes more sense to not have a #10 out there.

It might be a positive indicator of depth, but I can come up with 3 or 4 lineup arrangements right now that are more or less pretty good, but none seem clearly better or worse than another.

Maybe I'm reading too much into him moving Chanot around this preseason, but I think Vieira is seriously considering him as his RB. He preferred a CB at the RB position last year too, allowing Mata to go forward and shifting into a 3-man back line at will. It also allows the midfield to play more fluid, rather than holding shape in fear of a counter.

I still like Villa up top, with two inverted wingers and a CAM out of the pool of Moralez, Harrison, McNamara, Shelton, Camargo, and Lewis. Pirlo behind them partnered with an 8 (Ring) or 6 (Herrera, Sands). And then Matarrita as an attacking LB with Callens, Brillant, and Chanot holding defense.

Brillant isn't top tier, but his aerial game is on point, and Callens, Herrera, and Sands are all 6' and under. I like him out there for set pieces at the very least. Your lineup above would be very weak on those.

T Tom in Fairfield CT you and I agree that Chanot is our best CB and we also agree that it doesn't make sense to play him as a RB (maybe as a RCB but that's an entirely different formation). Playing out wide also takes our best defender away when there is a counter attack.

Where I disagree with you is if he was slated to play as a CDM. I think our best defender needs to play centrally in defense, whether that is as a CB, Sweeper, RCB or CDM.

EDIT: Unless PV is doing that weird thing where his RB is really a third CB like he did with Jason Hernandez.

I'm not sure Herrera is an everyday starter. At the very least he will have to earn it. I think only two of the following will be on the field at any one time: Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, Sands.

If you wanted to go defensive, you could take out whoever is playing CAM and use two 6/8's next to Pirlo (a la canchon 's post above mine), but with everyone penciling Chanot in for RB, I'm not sure we need two defensive-minded midfielders and what would effectively be a 3-man backline.
Actually, I don't know that Chanot is necessarily less effective in attack than RJ. He's not going to get to the endline and cross too regularly, but he is better in possession and smarter in his pass. Against a packed defense, he's probably a better option even in attack.

Actually, I don't know that Chanot is necessarily less effective in attack than RJ. He's not going to get to the endline and cross too regularly, but he is better in possession and smarter in his pass. Against a packed defense, he's probably a better option even in attack.

wasnt chanot the one who gave the long diagonal pass that lead to the second goal in Ecuador?

Reactions: Kjbert
I think it depends on what kind of player Ring is and how much offense we need/want on the field. I do agree that if we have two attacking fullbacks out there, it makes more sense to not have a #10 out there.

It might be a positive indicator of depth, but I can come up with 3 or 4 lineup arrangements right now that are more or less pretty good, but none seem clearly better or worse than another.

Maybe I'm reading too much into him moving Chanot around this preseason, but I think Vieira is seriously considering him as his RB. He preferred a CB at the RB position last year too, allowing Mata to go forward and shifting into a 3-man back line at will. It also allows the midfield to play more fluid, rather than holding shape in fear of a counter.

I still like Villa up top, with two inverted wingers and a CAM out of the pool of Moralez, Harrison, McNamara, Shelton, Camargo, and Lewis. Pirlo behind them partnered with an 8 (Ring) or 6 (Herrera, Sands). And then Matarrita as an attacking LB with Callens, Brillant, and Chanot holding defense.

Brillant isn't top tier, but his aerial game is on point, and Callens, Herrera, and Sands are all 6' and under. I like him out there for set pieces at the very least. Your lineup above would be very weak on those.
Callens seemed good in the air, and Chanot is too, right?

I think a lot of the uncertainty comes from never seeing any of these new guys play. Will be great to see a few preseason games to get an idea of who these guys are.

Was great seeing a true CDM in Sands and Awuah playing in last game.

T Tom in Fairfield CT you and I agree that Chanot is our best CB and we also agree that it doesn't make sense to play him as a RB (maybe as a RCB but that's an entirely different formation). Playing out wide also takes our best defender away when there is a counter attack.

Where I disagree with you is if he was slated to play as a CDM. I think our best defender needs to play centrally in defense, whether that is as a CB, Sweeper, RCB or CDM.

EDIT: Unless PV is doing that weird thing where his RB is really a third CB like he did with Jason Hernandez.

PV experimented with the inverted fullback late last year. Instead of attacking down the line, I could see Chanot's directive as a RB to step into a CDM position during an attack.

I thought Awuah looked like a real contributor. One half does not make a career but he has the profile of a Kante and Gana. Quick on the ball, an absolute pest.

For someone that is a proponent of Mikey Lopez's role, that's a guy that can do that job instead.

Edit: Star was way too strong of a word. I think he can contribute now, at least in the role that Mikey played. I think Mikey did one thing very well and it was a need on this roster. I think Kwame showed, at minimum, he can close out a game like we wanted Mikey to do, but without some of those limitations.

Last edited:
Also since people keep asking me about international roster spots I reached out to the league office and was told they don't have a public list of where the spots are.

So right now NYCFC definitely have enough international roster spots. They MAY have one extra (which would be for Herrera one assumes) but we have no way to confirm that unless NYCFC comes out and tells us how many they have.

You can just call the league office like that?

Well if they don't have a public list, then we have 15 international roster slots. #MLSFacts

I can agree with all of that, but I don't really think what you're saying is refuting my point. Talented players don't work some places. We all can agree we aren't actually batting 49/50, as we've just pointed out.

Just like you said, it's a fact of life, salary capped league, etc, etc...all of that just makes it more baffling that we don't put on our big boy pants and cut a check. As T Tom in Fairfield CT says, the people they are really hurting are the fans.

If you don't like the contract you agreed to and you have an out option, you just take it. It's a sunk cost at this point. This idea that they are making some principled stand to demonstrate to prospective signings how hard line we are is not born out of the reality of how teams/player markets behave. I can't believe that any element of our due diligence process relies on, "Hey, we were stubborn jackasses in the past, and we'll do it again if you test us."

I mean, freeze a guy out if you want, but why would you want that acrimony around when you can easily rid the club of it? We're walking around with an infection and refusing to take the antibiotics we already bought because we just don't like the taste.

What point do you mean?

If were going back to the Mix situation where I posited the club might be using him pour engourager les autres, I agree that its generally a stupid thing to do. But I'm trying to posit some kind of logical reason why the club is behaving in the manner it is with the little to no information that's publicly available.

His contract is a festering wound that sucks up roughly 10% of our nominal salary cap and a fair amount of our salary cap relief mechanisms. Personally, nothing would please me more than us just biting the bullet and being done with him. But that's clearly not the situation that is going to happen, unless we get an 11th hour reprieve delivered to the players union two days before the start of the season.

So we have to try and make some sense of it, and that was a line of logic we hadn't pursued before.

I completely agree with your analysis btw, it just seems like the club isn't making the rational choice.

What point do you mean?

If were going back to the Mix situation where I posited the club might be using him pour engourager les autres, I agree that its generally a stupid thing to do. But I'm trying to posit some kind of logical reason why the club is behaving in the manner it is with the little to no information that's publicly available.

His contract is a festering wound that sucks up roughly 10% of our nominal salary cap and a fair amount of our salary cap relief mechanisms. Personally, nothing would please me more than us just biting the bullet and being done with him. But that's clearly not the situation that is going to happen, unless we get an 11th hour reprieve delivered to the players union two days before the start of the season.

So we have to try and make some sense of it, and that was a line of logic we hadn't pursued before.

I completely agree with your analysis btw, it just seems like the club isn't making the rational choice.

All good stuff, and why I think the most likely situation is that we won't get the salary cap relief by cutting him in the off season. I have no idea why that would be - contract term, weird MLS exception, the fact that we got some kind of secret relief to sign him. All are possible at least. The bottom line is that if we aren't acting in the obviously rational fashion, there is probably a good reason, and I doubt that reason is because the Club doesn't want to spend the $1.5 million.