2017 Roster Discussion

I've resigned myself to having Mix on the roster for another two years.

Mix would be stupid to walk away from 750k a year, especially because he's probably never going to be paid that much ever again as a soccer player.

NYCFC have clearly made this a point of principle for the organization. The NYCFC FO clearly want people to know that if you come here and screw around or don't buy into the team, or whatever got Mix benched, we will bench you and you will never see a single minute of time ever again for this club, you getting off the roster is your problem. To be fair in the soccer world this is a powerful signal to send future players who may think of joining. We don't care if you're one of our best players, comply or rot.
I mostly agree, but hold out a slightly higher hope of dumping him after one year. Their buyout policy could have a dollar threshold that we are above now but not with one year to go, or the policy might be the club will buy out one season but no more. They might also decide they made their point sufficiently. I'm not saying that's probably the case but it hasn't been disproven yet so I figure there's some chance. Add in the chance there is a somewhat higher likelihood someone is willing to take on a $750k obligation but not $1.5mm and I figure there's a 1/4 to 1/3 chance of dumping him next year.

Reactions: JGarrettLieb

Mix would be stupid to walk away from 750k a year, especially because he's probably never going to be paid that much ever again as a soccer player.

NYCFC have clearly made this a point of principle for the organization. The NYCFC FO clearly want people to know that if you come here and screw around or don't buy into the team, or whatever got Mix benched, we will bench you and you will never see a single minute of time ever again for this club, you getting off the roster is your problem. To be fair in the soccer world this is a powerful signal to send future players who may think of joining. We don't care if you're one of our best players, comply or rot.
The problem with that attitude by the FO is that unless the scandal comes to light, the totalitarian attitude could easily scare players away; not knowing what transpired could leave somebody wondering how truly awful it was, or minor, that could lead to total banishment.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
The problem with that attitude by the FO is that unless the scandal comes to light, the totalitarian attitude could easily scare players away; not knowing what transpired could leave somebody wondering how truly awful it was, or minor, that could lead to total banishment.

It could be that prospective players are told what happened during negotiations, subject to signing a rather vicious NDA.

Reactions: adam
PV turned our roster from a playoff-missing squad to a SS contender in 5 months. If he's making the call on this signing, we should be nothing but excited.

Just imagine if Patrick started with us from the beginning. We'd be miles ahead from where we are now.

We certainly wouldn't have built our team around Chris Wingert...

Last edited:
So in the end, I think we all can agree...

Signing Maxi is a good thing. He'll definitely elevate our attack and everyone around him.

Signing Maxi as a Designated Player is a mild disappointment. We expected a higher caliber player.

Nothing wrong with that line of thinking. Having seen him play, we will be very happy to have him on the pitch. We need it. Regardless, I'm glad I belong to a fan-base that has high expectations.

It could be that prospective players are told what happened during negotiations, subject to signing a rather vicious NDA.
That would really worry me as a prospective player. It would spotlight the question of what the hell was so bad to deem it while also not wanting it to be exposed? That's more draconian that if want to be a part of. Ever.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
That would really worry me as a prospective player. It would spotlight the question of what the hell was so bad to deem it while also not wanting it to be exposed? That's more draconian that if want to be a part of. Ever.
Offer people what they want and they often convince themselves that the bad thing that happened to someone else will never happen to them.

That is not really a signal you want to send, imo.
you put way more weight on an NDA than, like, anyone.

You're kind of making an argument that requires a lot of assumptions to justify what's just an asinine decision, frankly.

As I've said, if we're counting on dissuadement from non-compliance via negative incentives as a recruitment and evaluation tool, we've already fucked up beyond reasonable comprehension.

Reactions: Ulrich
Offer people what they want and they often convince themselves that the bad thing that happened to someone else will never happen to them.
This and then some.

NYCFC has worked with around 40-50 players in its 2 year history. Only one of those players has suffered the Mix treatment. The players this would scare off, frankly, are players I think we should probably be happy to have scared off. Any normal player is going to meet with the likes of Villa, Pirlo, TMac, RJ, Chanot, etc. They are going to hear how NYCFC treats the 98% of players who don't screw up in some massive way.

I don't want the players who are afraid they might be a bottom 2% cultural fit with the team.

This and then some.

NYCFC has worked with around 40-50 players in its 2 year history. Only one of those players has suffered the Mix treatment. The players this would scare off, frankly, are players I think we should probably be happy to have scared off. Any normal player is going to meet with the likes of Villa, Pirlo, TMac, RJ, Chanot, etc. They are going to hear how NYCFC treats the 98% of players who don't screw up in some massive way.

I don't want the players who are afraid they might be a bottom 2% cultural fit with the team.
Presuming a 2% mis-fit is a little (way) too forgiving. Way more to do with his contract that he's the singular problem that's sticky for them. It's certainly generous to presume some great acumen at picking players. In fact, history points at the opposite being true.

Reactions: Paul and Ulrich
This and then some.

I think you're overly simplifying it.

ST: Villa, Okoli
W/AM: Moralez, Harrison, McNamara, Shelton, Camargo, Lewis
M/DM: Pirlo, Ring, Sands
DEF: Matarrita, Callens, Brillant, Chanot, Allen, White

For now, my expected opening day starters in bold. Least confident about McNamara. Still also expecting Badji or Herrera to be added to compete and rotate in with or backup Pirlo and Ring.

For now, my expected opening day starters in bold. Least confident about McNamara. Still also expecting Badji or Herrera to be added to compete and rotate in with or backup Pirlo and Ring.

If Maxi is confirmed as a 3rd DP, won't that mean Badji and Herrera are out?

Reactions: Kjbert

Seems likely. I'm with you except I don't think Tommy starts. But I don't know who I would put there.

If Maxi is confirmed as a 3rd DP, won't that mean Badji and Herrera are out?

Herrera is officially signed by CFG and is just waiting for assignment. I'll speculate that he's ours if Vieira wants him - but we have to figure out international spots and whether we are signing Sands, etc. Otherwise he'll go to Melbourne or elsewhere.

Badji, on the other hand - the longer that goes without word from the club, the less likely I think that's happening. Maybe we got close, but pulled the deal late into negotiations.

News on both deals broke at about the same time. I think it was always one or the other.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think you're overly simplifying it.
Yes and no. A lot of things had to go wrong for the Mix situation to occur.
  • Bad contract
  • Unmet onfield expectations
  • Player/locker room conflict (We still don't know details, but we know there was something that happened after the US Open Cup match.)
  • Refusal to accept a trade
If you are an incoming player and you are afraid that this is all going to happen to you, then you might not be the right fit, especially when you have 50 other success stories to point to.