2017 Roster Discussion

Jesus, I wasn't able to watch today's game, but you all turned on Khiry fast.

i think Khiry is an example of what happens when kids go to college instead of going pro at 18/19 or at least trying ( nycfc just starting academy at all levels). going to college here hurts your development i think for the pro's especially with NCAA's weird rules and calendar. of course this is assuming being pro is what you want and ready to take risks it involves.

by the time they come out they are behind in pro development than others so it will take them maybe another 3-4 years out of college to just start getting the hang of it, if ever.

i do think he will get better hes only 23 but it may not happen for another couple of years ....and it may be in another team.

How would everyone rate this preseason transfer window so far on an A to F scale.

Im going with b. They made a noticeable effort to add depth and talent to shore up defense. Tried to get talented young players. Got a very solid goal keeper, which was a huge need going into the offseason. Incorporated a very talente sands into 1st team action. Could be an A rating depending on how maxi does and also if we find our way out of the mix condunjurim.

i think Khiry is an example of what happens when kids go to college instead of going pro at 18/19 or at least trying ( nycfc just starting academy at all levels). going to college here hurts your development i think for the pro's especially with NCAA's weird rules and calendar. of course this is assuming being pro is what you want and ready to take risks it involves.

by the time they come out they are behind in pro development than others so it will take them maybe another 3-4 years out of college to just start getting the hang of it, if ever.

i do think he will get better hes only 23 but it may not happen for another couple of years ....and it may be in another team.
I agree. The college system is messed up and does more harm than good. They're trying to change it though, which is promising.

How would everyone rate this preseason transfer window so far on an A to F scale.

Im going with b. They made a noticeable effort to add depth and talent to shore up defense. Tried to get talented young players. Got a very solid goal keeper, which was a huge need going into the offseason. Incorporated a very talente sands into 1st team action. Could be an A rating depending on how maxi does and also if we find our way out of the mix condunjurim.

Incomplete till we resolve Mix and also learn if Maxi is only DP till the Summer when we can turn him into TAM.

Khiry's draft stock raised because of his athletic ability he showed at the combine. Not by anything he showed in the college. He was drafted too high to begin with.

Khiry's draft stock raised because of his athletic ability he showed at the combine. Not by anything he showed in the college. He was drafted too high to begin with.

i dont think thats how they would go about it.....but then again Kreis was in charge then so who knows.

Reactions: Kjbert
Where are we getting all of this GAM/TAM??? About $125 combined to get him.... surely we're tapped out now, right?

You can bring it forward from future years, if they haven't changed the rules again.

Can't really answer that since we haven't seen any of them play for us. But definitely like that they're not happy with last years club and are addressing it.

Hypothetically , if mix goes back to Norway and maxi isn't only dp till summer what's ur grade

B+. But I hate grading drafts or off-seasons just as they are over. We won't really know the grade for probably 2 more years when we see all the signings' impacts.

I'm afraid to look back on our comments after Kreis assembled his roster. Now in restrospect it's a clear F. Maybe D- because of Villa. But probably still F, since so much went was done wrong he only beefs the score up from and F- to an F.

Last years draft and off-season I'd give an A- considering we traded up for Jack, and signed Mata and brilliant for the backline. (Chanot was later) a few signings didn't work out like Mendoza (but it was only a 1 year deal and did no damage to our cap). It wasn't a huge offseason, but we were hamstrung by Kreis and it set the table for our playoff run and the moves this year.

So if we get Mix off the books and Maxi becomes TAM and other signings pan out, it could be A+ by next year. We could also see some real busts, team chemistry go to hell and get stuck with Maxi's bad K and a few others. Then it would drop considerably. Time will tell...

Edit: also, because it's a salary cap league, we have to grade by not only who we acquire, but what salaries/dead weight we shed. I think my grades reflected that subconsciously. We did move Mena, Slosh, Hernandez. Martinez, and Frank this year. We also lost Iraola, which sucked. And we gave raises to Tmac and RJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueWarrior
Khiry had an awful preseason game highlighting the weaknesses in his game but

He led the MLS in assists/90 minutes last year. Khiry is going to be on the roster but is not going to be on the pitch much if he plays like today.
That is a massively flukish stat.

Ronnie boy better gird his loins. Rodney Wallace will take no prisoners.

ETA: Khiry should really just ask to be moved to fullback.

B rating, after this signing, maybe B-. No matter what Maxi does, he's a disappointing use of a DP slot (eta: of course, if he puts up an MVP type year, I'll happily eat my crow), and the CDM issue lingers unanswered, as does that Other Thing.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
Seriously after watching tonight's game just now. The additions of Wallace, Maxi, Lewis... I seriously think Khiry Shelton gets cut/traded (doubt anyone would trade for him) before the season. The guy is clueless and his days are numbered.
Hey, didn't I have him in the Forum Whipping Boy death pool? Let the beatings commence!

B rating, after this signing, maybe B-. No matter what Maxi does, he's a disappointing use of a DP slot (eta: of course, if he puts up an MVP type year, I'll happily eat my crow), and the CDM issue lingers unanswered, as does that Other Thing.

Quoting for future crow eating purposes. (So I remember to tell you to eat crow)

I think maxi is good for 14+ goals this year.

Why no my estimates aren't based on blind optimism and prayer, whatever could have given you that impression.