2017 Roster Discussion

Quoting for future crow eating purposes. (So I remember to tell you to eat crow)

I think maxi is good for 14+ goals this year.

Why no my estimates aren't based on blind optimism and prayer, whatever could have given you that impression.

I think Ulrich Ulrich will take that bet. Just be ready to buy him a beer later this season.

That is a massively flukish stat.

Ronnie boy better gird his loins. Rodney Wallace will take no prisoners.

ETA: Khiry should really just ask to be moved to fullback.
The assists stat is an outlier, but it wasn't a fluke that Shelton had 9 and Mendoza had 1. Khiry can stretch a tired defense in a way that creates space for our attackers to operate.

Even in today's lousy game, he drew a penalty. There is no way today (or the stupid 1 v 3s or the too frequent heavy touches) leads to Khiry being cut this season.

B+. But I hate grading drafts or off-seasons just as they are over. We won't really know the grade for probably 2 more years when we see all the signings' impacts.

I'm afraid to look back on our comments after Kreis assembled his roster. Now in restrospect it's a clear F. Maybe D- because of Villa. But probably still F, since so much went was done wrong he only beefs the score up from and F- to an F.

Last years draft and off-season I'd give an A- considering we traded up for Jack, and signed Mata and brilliant for the backline. (Chanot was later) a few signings didn't work out like Mendoza (but it was only a 1 year deal and did no damage to our cap). It wasn't a huge offseason, but we were hamstrung by Kreis and it set the table for our playoff run and the moves this year.

So if we get Mix off the books and Maxi becomes TAM and other signings pan out, it could be A+ by next year. We could also see some real busts, team chemistry go to hell and get stuck with Maxi's bad K and a few others. Then it would drop considerably. Time will tell...

Edit: also, because it's a salary cap league, we have to grade by not only who we acquire, but what salaries/dead weight we shed. I think my grades reflected that subconsciously. We did move Mena, Slosh, Hernandez. Martinez, and Frank this year. We also lost Iraola, which sucked. And we gave raises to Tmac and RJ.
I actually like grading now. I think it's important to grade process and decision-making, not just results. Maxi screams backup plan to me, so that's a big whiff on my chart, even if he turns out to be amazing.

Now, if you don't ever get the results, then eventually you get an F no matter what.

I actually like grading now. I think it's important to grade process and decision-making, not just results. Maxi screams backup plan to me, so that's a big whiff on my chart, even if he turns out to be amazing.

Now, if you don't ever get the results, then eventually you get an F no matter what.

But sometimes having the calmness to move to plan B (DP - TAM and summer DP) is not something to criticize but rather praise. It could be much better for us in the long run then just signing a long in the tooth DP with name recognition to appease a fan base when a much better option would be available come Summer.

But sometimes having the calmness to move to plan B (DP - TAM and summer DP) is not something to criticize but rather praise. It could be much better for us in the long run then just signing a long in the tooth DP with name recognition to appease a fan base when a much better option would be available come Summer.
Well, I don't care about the name. I wanted to do something like take someone from a Bayern/Real bench. Not Club Leon.

I'll take it, too.

And Sabo Sabo - I don't think he's going to get cut. But if he doesn't nail down a starting spot or turn in a lot of production from the bench, he'll be on the block.

We agree. Khiry is reminding me a lot of Mullins in 2016.

Reactions: Kjbert
We probably couldn't TAM that type of player his summer. We're playing for the Cup, not the 1st half of the season. Seattle showed us the way.
If we had to pay any significant money for Maxi, I don't know how we could possibly move him to TAM. Unless, and maybe this is the case now that you mention it, you get to essentially drop all of the acquisition costs off the budget charge when you shift a player to TAM.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Ok guys I'm officially pretty happy with our roster :) wish we had a little better dp but oh well maybe moralez will be bought down or something. Pirlo will flourish with better quality at his side especillay when he is servicing

If we had to pay any significant money for Maxi, I don't know how we could possibly move him to TAM. Unless, and maybe this is the case now that you mention it, you get to essentially drop all of the acquisition costs off the budget charge when you shift a player to TAM.

Wasn't that the new rule they implemented for TAM players this season? And if we could mask that cost behind the DP label, even better.

But you're correct that we won't understand the Maxi deal till we see what he's being paid. Or more importantly, what his charge is vs the cap.

Last edited:
Wasn't that the new rule they implemented for TAM players this season? And if we could mask that cist behind the DP label, even better.

But you're correct that we won't understand the Maxi deal till we see what he's being paid. Or more importantly, what his charge is vs the cap.

God damnit. I need to completely reread the budget rules again. I'm going to wait until season start so they're locked in for a few months.

Ok guys I'm officially pretty happy with our roster :) wish we had a little better dp but oh well maybe moralez will be bought down or something. Pirlo will flourish with better quality at his side especillay when he is servicing
Glad you're pretty happy. I'm still disappointed we didn't add any muscle to our midfield that's been proven at a high level. Otherwise, we're starting to look like a real team from a purported talent perspective.

Glad you're pretty happy. I'm still disappointed we didn't add any muscle to our midfield that's been proven at a high level. Otherwise, we're starting to look like a real team from a purported talent perspective.
I like how tmac will be pushed by Wallace and tbh I think Tmac is a great player off the bench not a start. I to my friend wish we had a true number 6 who could clean up.