2017 Roster Discussion

I would give this offseason a B+, maybe A-. We've upgraded the starter at around half the positions on the field, and upgraded the reserve at even more spots. That's terrific, especially for a team that was 4th in the Supporters' Shield standings. The only miss was not bringing in a top DP to replace Lampard, but maybe Maxi can replace his goals + assists while also playing defense and helping build possession.

Agree with all the Shelton talk, needs a lot of development still and not sure he's going to get it with us with all the new additions. He's clearly incredibly athletic but he knows as well as we do how limited his skill set is. As a result he's scared to go full speed and tip toes around the game. Unfortunately, when he does something positive he's going full speed despite his skill set and stumbles into something such as his opening game goal in Chicago last year or his shoulder goal in DC.

I personally think all the Shelton talk is still premature. For me, it's really just a matter of whether he starts or not. I feel as though every game I have ever watched him start he has just stunk. But when he comes on as a super sub, he usually tends to do much better. Not sure if that's due to confidence, fresh athleticism, a more robust tactical preparation since vieira already knows what is going on in the game or something else. Anyways, yes, he sucked yesterday, but that just seems true to form for when he starts. Not much else to see here for me.

Some of the criticism of Shelton here is just ridiculous. He's a solid and valuable reserve for this team. We have his late goals and assists to thank for a good handful of points, particularly toward the end of the season. I know that watching him roam the pitch can be frustrating because he seems to have the tools to be a much stronger player, but he is a really good player for us, and at his salary is not going to be cut.

Some of the criticism of Shelton here is just ridiculous. He's a solid and valuable reserve for this team. We have his late goals and assists to thank for a good handful of points, particularly toward the end of the season. I know that watching him roam the pitch can be frustrating because he seems to have the tools to be a much stronger player, but he is a really good player for us, and at his salary is not going to be cut.

Can we agree that for the #2 pick overall he hasn't lived up to his billing?

I wasn't advocating he should be cut, I just think he needs playing time to improve and I don't know how much he will get this year. Like I said, he is incredibly gifted physically and when he uses that physical talent good things can happen, unfortunately a lot of the time it looks like he plays scared. Even with the penalty he won yesterday, I don't think he really knew what he was doing when he got to the box and was lucky enough to have Aurelien Collin coming in like a freight train for no reason.

Reactions: Kjbert
Shelton was in a position to show he could be captain of the b team. He failed. I wouldn't cut him just yet though, he still has some potential, but his leash has to be very very short right now.

Here is where we stand per MLS website:
ROSTERED PLAYERS (24 of 28 spots filled):
GK (3):
Eirik Johansen (INT'L), Sean Johnson, Andre Rawls
DEF (7): RJ Allen, Frederic Brillant (INT'L), Alexander Callens (INT'L), Maxime Chanot (INT'L), Shannon Gomez, Ronald Matarrita (INT'L), Ethan White
MID (10): Miguel Camargo (INT'L), Mix Diskerud, Jack Harrison (GA, INT'L), Yangel Herrera (INT'L), Mikey Lopez, Tommy McNamara, Maximiliano Moralez (INT'L, DP), Andrea Pirlo (INT'L, DP), Alexander Ring (INT'L), Rodney Wallace
FWD (4): Jonathan Lewis (GA), Sean Okoli, Khiry Shelton, David Villa (DP, INT'L)

DESIGNATED PLAYERS (DP): 3
HOMEGROWN PLAYERS (HG): 0
INT'L ROSTER SPOTS FILLED (INT'L): 12
GENERATION ADIDAS PLAYERS (GA):
UNSIGNED DRAFT PICKS: Kwame Awuah, Jalen Brown, Chris Wingate, Michael DeGraffenriedt
TRIALISTS: Ben Sweat, John Stertzer, Roberto Louima

We know Louima & DeGraff are gone. Mix, too(?).

This leaves us room to sign Awuah and Sands (the latter of whom they don't mention, which makes me want to question the whole thing, but I digress) and still only be at 25. Maybe Brown and Wingate make it. That still leaves 1 slot. What else can we do?
Pretty sure they raised the roster limit for HG players to be accommodated. So the 28 number doesn't need to fit him in.

Can we agree that for the #2 pick overall he hasn't lived up to his billing?
I haven't checked the figures, but glancing at the 2015 1st round picks, I am pretty sure Khiry has the 2nd most goals and the most assists of anyone drafted in the 1st round.

So far Khiry has lived up to his billing. Considering we were an expansion club we needed the production in the short run. I may agree with you in the long run, but not today.

I haven't checked the figures, but glancing at the 2015 1st round picks, I am pretty sure Khiry has the 2nd most goals and the most assists of anyone drafted in the 1st round.

So far Khiry has lived up to his billing. Considering we were an expansion club we needed the production in the short run. I may agree with you in the long run, but not today.

This is going to come off prickish - so I want you to know that that isn't my intention - but do you watch the games? Stats can be deceiving.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
This is going to come off prickish - so I want you to know that that isn't my intention - but do you watch the games? Stats can be deceiving.
I am seeing the same thing you are including Khiry's weaknesses.

Soccer stats are probably the worst of all the sports -- which is one of the reason I like to use them as much as I do.

BUT, the number of goals and assists is an objective measurement applied to all 20 2015 first round picks. Your point that Shelton isn't living up to the billing of a 2nd pick is entirely subjective and there is objective evidence refuting your point.

Most importantly, I don't know what the hell to do with this pair of autographed Khiry Shelton game worn cleats shown in my profile pic I won in an NYCFC.com sweepstakes now much less if Khiry isn't on the team.

The number 3 pick in the 2015 draft was Romario Williams by Montreal. We can agree that pick hasn't lived up to its billing.

I am seeing the same thing you are including Khiry's weaknesses.

Soccer stats are probably the worst of all the sports -- which is one of the reason I like to use them as much as I do.

BUT, the number of goals and assists is an objective measurement applied to all 20 2015 first round picks. Your point that Shelton isn't living up to the billing of a 2nd pick is entirely subjective and there is objective evidence refuting your point.

Most importantly, I don't know what the hell to do with this pair of autographed Khiry Shelton game worn cleats shown in my profile pic I won in an NYCFC.com sweepstakes now much less if Khiry isn't on the team.

The number 3 pick in the 2015 draft was Romario Williams by Montreal. We can agree that pick hasn't lived up to its billing.

We agree on Romario Williams. But there were other players coming out of that draft who we would argue have made larger impacts. Drafts are a crapshoot, but I hoped that the #2 overall pick would be a consistent performer and a starter at this point in his career. He hasn't been. There were other guys drafted in that draft who have performed better and more consistently. Fatai Alashe could be our starting CDM. Matt Polster could play anywhere in the midfield. Tim Parker could be a starting CB, same with Axel Sjoberg. And then there is Cristian Roldan.

DESIGNATED PLAYERS (DP):
UNSIGNED DRAFT PICKS: Kwame Awuah, Jalen Brown, Chris Wingate, Michael DeGraffenriedt

This leaves us room to sign Awuah and Sands (the latter of whom they don't mention, which makes me want to question the whole thing, but I digress) and still only be at 25. Maybe Brown and Wingate make it. That still leaves 1 slot. What else can we do?

23 slots filled (taking out Mix, obviously) + Sands&Awuah = 25. Think they also sign Stertzer as backup for 26, leaves 2 open spots. Yeah maybe Brown and Wingate.

23 slots filled (taking out Mix, obviously) + Sands&Awuah = 25. Think they also sign Stertzer as backup for 26, leaves 2 open spots. Yeah maybe Brown and Wingate.
Or more beef may be coming.

Reactions: Kjbert
One of the lesser talked-about topics is Maxi's defensive workrate. We know Villa is pretty tenacious going after the ball, but if Maxi can do that, as well, we could really start causing problems. Jack had a few nice plays defensively in the attacking end, too. We could really cause some havoc this year if Maxi can give us that.

GK (3):
Eirik Johansen (INT'L), Sean Johnson, Andre Rawls
DEF (7): RJ Allen, Frederic Brillant (INT'L), Alexander Callens (INT'L), Maxime Chanot (INT'L), Shannon Gomez, Ronald Matarrita (INT'L), Ethan White
MID (10): Miguel Camargo (INT'L), Mix Diskerud, Jack Harrison (GA, INT'L), Yangel Herrera (INT'L), Mikey Lopez, Tommy McNamara, Maximiliano Moralez (INT'L, DP), Andrea Pirlo (INT'L, DP), Alexander Ring (INT'L), Rodney Wallace
FWD (4): Jonathan Lewis (GA), Sean Okoli, Khiry Shelton, David Villa (DP, INT'L)

DESIGNATED PLAYERS (DP): 3

We know Louima & DeGraff are gone. Mix, too(?).

There's obviously a lot of uncertainty, but it feels pretty good in terms of there being very little on the roster that I pretty much know isn't going to make meaningful contributions to a good MLS team, ignoring Mix. White might be the only one (I'm also ignoring Rawls b/c he's a third GK). Beyond that, areas of uncertainty for me are:
  • Risk that some of the guys we don't know don't turn out to be good. That will inevitably happen. For example, the odds that we hit on all of Callens, Camargo, Herrera and Ring isn't very good. If we got two regular starters and a third who is in the 18 generally and contributes, that's probably a decent hit rate. I'm going to assume that Maxi won't turn out to be bad, but, as a DP, he needs to be really good to have to been the right choice.

• Guys who I think have a role to play get overexposed because their role ends of being too significant. For me, that's guys like McNamara and Shelton. I think they both have something to offer, even on a good team, but if they are starting 30 matches, that probably isn't a good indicator for our season.

We agree on Romario Williams. But there were other players coming out of that draft who we would argue have made larger impacts. Drafts are a crapshoot, but I hoped that the #2 overall pick would be a consistent performer and a starter at this point in his career. He hasn't been. There were other guys drafted in that draft who have performed better and more consistently. Fatai Alashe could be our starting CDM. Matt Polster could play anywhere in the midfield. Tim Parker could be a starting CB, same with Axel Sjoberg. And then there is Cristian Roldan.

As you say drafts are a crap shoot but even throwing the talent evaluation part out just for a cap management approach we should have at least taken a GA player.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert