2017 Roster Discussion

Yes. There is often not a lot of consistency in U- call ups as they give lots of kids a chance.
There are a lot of people who will tell you that is absolutely incorrect, especially when it comes to Tab. Even this camp, it's hardly a fair shake for some of these guys when they are getting a first look only a few weeks away from the prelim roster being announced. Several of them should have gotten a better look than that.

Reactions: Kjbert
Not sure if this fits in roster discussion but I'd like to see Chanot start getting the captains arm band when Villa subs out. You can tell he's emerging as a key leader of the defense and the team in general by the way he interacts with teammates on the pitch.

Not sure if this fits in roster discussion but I'd like to see Chanot start getting the captains arm band when Villa subs out. You can tell he's emerging as a key leader of the defense and the team in general by the way he interacts with teammates on the pitch.
I never like seeing a late game sub get the arm band. To me, that's just a face-saving move for a guy being pushed aside.

And yeah, Chanot deserves it. My buddy was seeing his first game of the year, so he was trying to get up to speed on the new players (Chanot feels new after his minimal contribution last year), and he commented on how vocal and commanding Chanot was all game organizing the D.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
Interesting thoughts on the captain's arm band. It has gone to Tommy twice now. He has been with the club the longest of the guys available on the pitch. I clapped for him the first time he got it - the home opener this year.

But I do believe it should go to someone else. Chanot makes as much sense as anyone. I don't think it's a coincidence that Villa gives it to Tommy. I would imagine that has been discussed.

Who does now, Tommy? Tommy seems like a calming and likable kind of leader. But Chanot would be great too.

Who does now, Tommy? Tommy seems like a calming and likable kind of leader. But Chanot would be great too.

Yeah, Tommy has gotten it the last two games. Nothing against Tommy, but I agree with Ulrich Ulrich that I'd rather see it go to a starter than a late game sub.

Interesting thoughts on the captain's arm band. It has gone to Tommy twice now. He has been with the club the longest of the guys available on the pitch. I clapped for him the first time he got it - the home opener this year.

But I do believe it should go to someone else. Chanot makes as much sense as anyone. I don't think it's a coincidence that Villa gives it to Tommy. I would imagine that has been discussed.

Haha, he's got great tunnel leadership too. "C'mon Guys, C'mon Blue"

Interesting. Who do we think will be captain when Villa is off the pitch? Chanot?

Taurus, Feb 16, 2017

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/2017-roster-discussion.4973/page-157#post-184811

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
I can easily see Chanot getting it. Cool, calm and intelligent but able to tell other players where to be and lead by example.

Sean Johnson makes good long term sense. I don't think Chanot will be here much past Villa. Johnson is the next captain. He could play another ten years for the club.

Chanot is 27. Do you think a club in Europe is going to pick him up at this age?

Sean Johnson makes good long term sense. I don't think Chanot will be here much past Villa. Johnson is the next captain. He could play another ten years for the club.
I think Chanot could very well be here semi-long term. He's in the prime of his career and came from the Belgium Pro League, so if he had the goods to make the jump to a top 5 league, he'd likely have done it from there. Now maybe it was a case of not being showcased/getting a lot of exposure on his old team, and maybe if NYCFC has a dominant defense this year he'll get that exposure, but I think his chances are slim to land on a team not near the relegation zone if he even gets a sniff. Which makes playing in NYC so much more enticing for a guy making pretty good bank (by MLS standards). I could totally see him becoming our captain, in the Terry/Kompany/Vidic mold - the field general that cleans up every mess and owns the box.

If NYCFC doesn't get transfer-happy, they have the makings of a ridiculous core of players: Chanot, Callens, Johnson (I've been proven wrong & now on the bandwagon), Ring, Harrison, Wallace, and (hopefully) Lewis. Herrera could potentially/likely be added to the list too. And keeping Chanot is key.

I could totally see him becoming our captain, in the Terry/Kompany/Vidic mold - the field general that cleans up every mess and owns the box.

We've already seen him yelling at the boys in the tunnel a la Joe Hart.

I'd like a Behind the Scenes video when he goes all out like this...."COME ON BOYS. COME ON DAVID, GET YOUR GOALS. COME ON JACK, MAKE THOSE RUNS. COME ON MAXI, PLAY BIG. LET'S GO BOYS!"

I think Chanot could very well be here semi-long term. He's in the prime of his career and came from the Belgium Pro League, so if he had the goods to make the jump to a top 5 league, he'd likely have done it from there. Now maybe it was a case of not being showcased/getting a lot of exposure on his old team, and maybe if NYCFC has a dominant defense this year he'll get that exposure, but I think his chances are slim to land on a team not near the relegation zone if he even gets a sniff. Which makes playing in NYC so much more enticing for a guy making pretty good bank (by MLS standards). I could totally see him becoming our captain, in the Terry/Kompany/Vidic mold - the field general that cleans up every mess and owns the box.

If NYCFC doesn't get transfer-happy, they have the makings of a ridiculous core of players: Chanot, Callens, Johnson (I've been proven wrong & now on the bandwagon), Ring, Harrison, Wallace, and (hopefully) Lewis. Herrera could potentially/likely be added to the list too. And keeping Chanot is key.

The story when he signed was that he had offers from a couple of mid to low table teams in at least one of the top 5 leagues but his wife got a job here in NYC so he wanted to come so he could be with her. Hopefully her job is going as well as his and the both want to stay for a while.

How many foreign defenders come here, have success, and stay? I can only think of two. Collin and Ridgewell

So we have three guys that have played a combined 9 years in MLS?

It's also possible that my conclusion is right but reasoning is wrong. MLS just doesn't pay for foreign defensive talent. That could be the reason

So who's our next big name Premier League DP?

I'd be surprised if we didn't sign one this summer and bumped Maxi down to TAM