2017 Roster Discussion

anyone worth getting from free agency ?

Czfx-BhWgAASpYO.jpg:large
A few stick out to me, but I'm not certain on what some of the salary considerations would be. I would def take a run at Peterson at his salary as Ulrich Ulrich pointed out.

I'd also consider Le Toux and Alan Gordon. I know we've already signed a striker but I would love a true target man option off the bench if we need to change things up. I love the signing of Okoli and it sounds like he provides some decent size, but wouldn't quite be that true target center forward.

If we can get Gordon relatively cheap, I'd pull the trigger

Something I asked on twitter:

Will have finally have 3 DPs in the lineup on opening day in 2017?

Reactions: Kjbert
Anyone getting annoyed seeing us being idle while Atlanta make all these solid signings? Surely Patrick Vieira/CFG has more clout than Tata Martino
Have to assume ATL have had much more time and planning to line these up having had no other responsibilities for the last year. Look at all the other existing clubs. No one else has made the volume of moves of ATL.

#mobilepost

I would be shocked. Something would happen to materialize out of thin air in the next two weeks.
We need some depth signings, but right now the only really big hole is at CDM. We are not desparate.

Until the summer window, we can get away with a lineup like:
LW:Harrison/TMac
ST:Villa
RW: Shelton/Harrison
LCM: Pirlo/TMac
CDM:???
RCM: Pirlo/Harrison
LB: Mata
CBs: Chanot, Brillant
RB: Allen
GK: Hunger Games Winner

In between 2015 and 2016, did the club ever announce that it used its one guaranteed contract buyout that does not impact the salary cap? I know when they announced the wholesale set of moves like they did 2 weeks ago this year, nothing was said about any buyout. I also remember thinking maybe we used it on someone and did not announce it as a courtesy, allowing it to appear as if his contract just expired.

My point is I think it's possible we used up the freebie this year already and we just don't know it. If so, I think these are the candidates: "Connor Brandt, Jason Hernandez, Diego Martinez and Tony Taylor will not have their contract options exercised. . . ."
http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/11/28/nycfc-announce-roster-options-2017

Maybe we used it on Hernandez would be my guess. I don't think we know if his K was guaranteed and how long it ran.

In between 2015 and 2016, did the club ever announce that it used its one guaranteed contract buyout that does not impact the salary cap? I know when they announced the wholesale set of moves like they did 2 weeks ago this year, nothing was said about any buyout. I also remember thinking maybe we used it on someone and did not announce it as a courtesy, allowing it to appear as if his contract just expired.

My point is I think it's possible we used up the freebie this year already and we just don't know it. If so, I think these are the candidates: "Connor Brandt, Jason Hernandez, Diego Martinez and Tony Taylor will not have their contract options exercised. . . ."
http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/11/28/nycfc-announce-roster-options-2017

Maybe we used it on Hernandez would be my guess. I don't think we know if his K was guaranteed and how long it ran.

From what I remember a lot of our signings that we're club members on day 1 were signed to two year contracts. I specifically don't remember anyone signing to a 3 year contract that wasn't Mix.

I remember thinking, at the time, that wow the club could really shift its roster around for year three if it wanted to.

Reactions: JayH and adam