2017 Roster Discussion

Cant find the link but iirc someone reported last season that buyout option is used very rarely in mls. Most years, no one uses it. Waiving someone with or without their agreement is still waiving someone. Buy out is totally different.

What does the league gain by labeling buy outs as waiving?
Scan through the MLS transaction pages going back. Use CTRL-F and it will take you a very brief time to cover several years. There isn't one instance of the word "buyout" or any variations or alternatives being used that I can find. So either rare = never, or they're hiding it. Why does MLS do anything? Being opaque is in their DNA.

One more thing. We didn't waive Wingert until January 30. If we didn't buy him out, that means his contract ended at the end of the 2015 season, and we somehow kept him out of the Re-Entry Draft in December without signing him to a new contract, only to say "OK, now we don't want him" at the end of January. Why the league, union and Wingert would allow that is hard to explain, OTOH if he was under contract, then we had to buy him out and that explains why he wasn't in the Re-Entry draft in December.

Maybe it's similar to Europe. Everton had to pay Man City £2 Million to get Gareth Barry even though he was available on a free after his loan expired.

It's not entirely uncommon when you're in this position to put in a clause into the loan agreement that says a fee still has to be paid if the player is signed on any terms before X date (which is of course after the player's current deal expires, or - again - the buying club would just wait it out). There has to be mutual benefit to both clubs if any loan is ever agreed, and sometimes just getting the player away from of the training ground isn't enough on its own. If the buying team realise they're getting a player for below what they'd have to pay for him half-way through his contract then they'll usually be willing to realise that it's in their favour to agree a deal like this, and they always have the added security anyway of knowing that they can just pull out of the deal if the player isn't worth signing permanently.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert
It's not entirely uncommon when you're in this position to put in a clause into the loan agreement that says a fee still has to be paid if the player is signed on any terms before X date (which is of course after the player's current deal expires, or - again - the buying club would just wait it out). There has to be mutual benefit to both clubs if any loan is ever agreed, and sometimes just getting the player away from of the training ground isn't enough on its own. If the buying team realise they're getting a player for below what they'd have to pay for him half-way through his contract then they'll usually be willing to realise that it's in their favour to agree a deal like this, and they always have the added security anyway of knowing that they can just pull out of the deal if the player isn't worth signing permanently.

I figured it might have been something like this. Maybe as part of the loan, we agreed to pay a transfer fee even if he ended up out of contract.

Who knows? Soccer transfers continue to befuddle me.

Reactions: Kjbert
One more thing. We didn't waive Wingert until January 30. If we didn't buy him out, that means his contract ended at the end of the 2015 season, and we somehow kept him out of the Re-Entry Draft in December without signing him to a new contract, only to say "OK, now we don't want him" at the end of January. Why the league, union and Wingert would allow that is hard to explain, OTOH if he was under contract, then we had to buy him out and that explains why he wasn't in the Re-Entry draft in December.

Didn't we have some special deal with Wingert that was designed to get him back to RSL where he wanted to be? I don't think we necessarily paid him off in his contract, but maybe a little if he is on lower wages there. Ultimately, it was more about accommodating his desire to get back there.

Reactions: Kjbert
Didn't we have some special deal with Wingert that was designed to get him back to RSL where he wanted to be? I don't think we necessarily paid him off in his contract, but maybe a little if he is on lower wages there. Ultimately, it was more about accommodating his desire to get back there.
It's all in the thread of course:
http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/wingert-officially-waived.4137/

We waived him unconditionally. 2-3 days later he signed with RSL. A couple of days after that the Salt Lake paper reported that the club came to him about 2 weeks before it was public. He and his agent worked the league and Chris let it be known he wanted to go back to RSL if they would have him. He went through what was called a waiver process even though he's senior enough to have been in the Re-Entry draft had he been released in December. No other club stepped in to get in the way.

So it's a good bet that whatever RSL paid him ofset what NYCFC owed him, but we don't know for sure if that's the rule. Also,if it does offset, he and RSL could agree that he be paid the league minimum and keep NYCFC on the hook for as much as possible. I know that used to be common in baseball for waiver pickups. Not sure if it's still true.

Why not just make this unlimited?

I hear you. But it's more about cap relief. You can field 23 homegrown players, but (17 now?) will count vs the cap. But let's imagine for a second NYC builds an unprecedented academy. And we graduate a ton of kids who could play in any league in the world. Some will insist on a transfer if their talent is great enough. Maybe a few will want to remain in NYC, where they grew up, if the money is good enough. The rest will be mid-level or bench talent, taking up no more cap space then any others signed player. With 3 DPs, a TAM and 5 HGs, maybe 1-2 GAs, you already have a staring squad only counting as the DP hits. You can fit the rest to regular MLS level Ks with what remains and even have extra to spare for a deeper bench. Moreover, by the time we have a decent academy, I'm sure there will be more DPs on each roster, as well as more HGs allowed.

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
Big deal this year for NJRB, LA Galaxy, Seattle and FC Dallas.

Big Deal in 5 years for NYCFC, but by then we will have a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and the league could be entirely different.

All in - good sign for the league. Teams needed an avenue to fit in new HG players. Long term, it improves the pipeline and doesn't force teams to sell players on. I like it.

Big deal this year for NJRB, LA Galaxy, Seattle and FC Dallas.

Big Deal in 5 years for NYCFC, but by then we will have a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and the league could be entirely different.

All in - good sign for the league. Teams needed an avenue to fit in new HG players. Long term, it improves the pipeline and doesn't force teams to sell players on. I like it.

I'm liking the look of that next CBA quite a bit. The yoy growth percentages for MLS are nuts, they're the kind of figures you can really play hardball with the TV networks with. Because let's be real here, the big deal isn't the 2020 CBA, its the number that comes out of the 2019 media rights agreement. That number will significantly inform the size of the cap that MLS will be operating under for 2020.

I'm liking the look of that next CBA quite a bit. The yoy growth percentages for MLS are nuts, they're the kind of figures you can really play hardball with the TV networks with. Because let's be real here, the big deal isn't the 2020 CBA, its the number that comes out of the 2019 media rights agreement. That number will significantly inform the size of the cap that MLS will be operating under for 2020.

The TV deals don't expire until 2022, unless you're referring to something else.

The 2022 is likely the deadline to get to 28 teams for that reason. Then we have another ~8 years to maybe add 2-4 more teams.

The TV deals don't expire until 2022, unless you're referring to something else.

The 2022 is likely the deadline to get to 28 teams for that reason. Then we have another ~8 years to maybe add 2-4 more teams.

You're right. Now why the hell did I think it was 2019?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
My only concern with the TV contract is that NBC, ESPN and Fox have realized they overpaid for a lot of their content. NBC has a steal with their Premier League rights here in the USA. But ESPN and Fox have overpaid for college football and basketball. Our TV deal now is packaged with the USMNT. The new markets will certainly help, but I don't know that there is a better deal out there for TV rights in 6 years, aside from the new markets.

My only concern with the TV contract is that NBC, ESPN and Fox have realized they overpaid for a lot of their content. NBC has a steal with their Premier League rights here in the USA. But ESPN and Fox have overpaid for college football and basketball. Our TV deal now is packaged with the USMNT. The new markets will certainly help, but I don't know that there is a better deal out there for TV rights in 6 years, aside from the new markets.

2022 is six years away, a long time in the tech world. I would be pretty surprised if a streaming service like Amazon Prime, Google via YouTube, or Netflix isn't a major, major piece of our 2022 media deal. They've already been talking: http://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-...orts-package-with-prime-membership-1479757001

2022 is six years away, a long time in the tech world. I would be pretty surprised if a streaming service like Amazon Prime, Google via YouTube, or Netflix isn't a major, major piece of our 2022 media deal. They've already been talking: http://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-...orts-package-with-prime-membership-1479757001
I wish NBC would win it - their EPL coverage it top-notch with every game showing over multiple channels. That's the way it should be. And their pre/post game coverage & analysis is great too.

I wish NBC would win it - their EPL coverage it top-notch with every game showing over multiple channels. That's the way it should be. And their pre/post game coverage & analysis is great too.

They had it and chose not to bid on it again.