2017 Roster Discussion

I've seen several people on here note that we don't have a first round pick in the Superdraft this year but I can't recall when we lost it.

Why don't we have a first round pick this year (I'm assuming we dealt it away in some trade?)?

I've looked at a couple of mock drafts to just get an idea on what was out there positionally, and they had us with a late first round pick.

I've seen several people on here note that we don't have a first round pick in the Superdraft this year but I can't recall when we lost it.

Why don't we have a first round pick this year (I'm assuming we dealt it away in some trade?)?

I've looked at a couple of mock drafts to just get an idea on what was out there positionally, and they had us with a late first round pick.

We traded a conditional first round pick for the rights to Kwadwo Poku (when we signed him in 2014/15) from Seattle. Because we sold him for a large chunk of cash, the condition on that pick was activate and Seattle got the pick.

We lost it in the poku deal

we don't have a first round pick in the Superdraft this year
I think this is the #1 reason there is so much angst this year. Not that a pick would change our fortunes. But last year, the whole time that there was zero news on new signings we were all in a tizzy debating. Would we get Jack? Would he be a home grown? If so, who else would we get in the draft?

That, more than anything else, is what is making this year (January) seem so lethargic while last year (January) seemed so much busier and more exciting.

IMO.

Has CFG splashed the cash for Melbourne regarding transfer fees, or are they in the same boat as NYCFC?

Their transfer policy has been broadly the same as NYCFC's.

You could argue they have little choice - they've already made a lot of enemies in a league with only 9 other teams for using wages the other teams can't afford to entice in Tim Cahill, not to mention benefiting from a league-wide rule change by getting subsidies to Cahill's wages because the league was desperate for him to join. Opposition managers already regularly call them out in the press as "cheaters". If they were to start spending silly money on transfer it would basically make their position among other teams unbearable, and would likely result in the league changing the rules to penalise them.

All that said, going back to the original point I don't believe it's CFG's intent to run Melbourne City any differently from NYCFC as regards transfers.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
For those "timeline checking", the variable left out, that is perhaps more important when analyzing the level of angst on the forum, is the rate that other clubs have been filling holes this year versus last. If NYCFC is on a similar schedule to last year but everybody else is locking up players, the perception is that we're treading water while others are swimming. I doubt there is a finite number of targets in the world of soccer, but there are a finite number of them that are of the quality to make an impact in MLS while also being the right price-point with little-to-no transfer fee. With each one that signs elsewhere, there is an ephemeral sinking feeling in the stomach of a missed opportunity. And maybe this doesn't matter since we're signing CR7, but the "trust them/me" rationale is more puff than grounded entering our third season.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2017

There are 13 teams in the entire league who have signed more players than us at this stage (two of them are the expansion teams)

In terms of net players in-out, half the league is either at the same level as us (-7 players), or lower

I just don't think this argument is backed up by the facts

Glad we got Sean Johnson for what he did because it appears the Guzan to Atlanta talks are busted. He has back to back shutouts in the PL, mainly because Valdes has been injured, but we will see if he can hold onto his job as Valdes hasn't exactly been amazing this year.

Glad we got Sean Johnson for what he did because it appears the Guzan to Atlanta talks are busted. He has back to back shutouts in the PL, mainly because Valdes has been injured, but we will see if he can hold onto his job as Valdes hasn't exactly been amazing this year.
Yeah, I had been thinking the same thing. At a minimum, you'd have to think Middlesbrough won't let him leave this window. So I guess that's the downside of playing the shell game ATL has been perpetrating on everyone. Of course, watch it all work out in the end since it's not the team I support.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Yeah, I had been thinking the same thing. At a minimum, you'd have to think Middlesbrough won't let him leave this window. So I guess that's the downside of playing the shell game ATL has been perpetrating on everyone. Of course, watch it all work out in the end since it's not the team I support.
If Guzan doesn't work out for them, we could always trade Johnson back to them for more than the initial trade - pick up some much needed Garber$$ - say make min$100k of the retrade. I'm fine going with Johansson for the year.

Jefferson Mena arrived in Ecuador yesterday. Deal should be announced today/tomorrow.

Glad to see the move working out and allowing us the added spending flexibility. There were some rumblings that there was in fact no deal in place.

Reactions: JayH