2017 Roster Discussion

http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2017

There are 13 teams in the entire league who have signed more players than us at this stage (two of them are the expansion teams)

In terms of net players in-out, half the league is either at the same level as us (-7 players), or lower

I just don't think this argument is backed up by the facts

There are no facts anymore, just feelings. What is important is how I FEEL and I'll make up the stats as I go!

If I feel that NYCFC hasn't made any transactions then the FACT is that NYCFC hasn't made any transactions.

Guess I'm ready to enter politics.

There are no facts anymore, just feelings. What is important is how I FEEL and I'll make up the stats as I go!

If I feel that NYCFC hasn't made any transactions then the FACT is that NYCFC hasn't made any transactions.

Guess I'm ready to enter politics.

We're in a post-truth reality now...

NYCFC has made no significant off season transactions to bolster the lineup. We're going to have less than 20 players heading in preseason and with four goalkeepers on the roster, one of them will be converted to a striker.

Crappy Claudio is failing our club towards building an MLS Cup caliber winning team. The lack of a third DP announcement, keeping Sloppy Saunders on this lineup, and no answers regarding Disney Prince Diskerud's situation is disturbing.

We don't have any good SuperDraft picks and the front office is on a news embargo just posting memories of 2016 and news from around the league.

Bad!

[We're just in a quiet period, if one week after the draft, news doesn't pick up, then I will be furious regarding preseason.]

Rumor has it that the team will shortly be announcing Gary Gnu as the new head of team news release.

Reactions: Kjbert

NYCFC has made no significant off season transactions to bolster the lineup. We're going to have less than 20 players heading in preseason and with four goalkeepers on the roster, one of them will be converted to a striker.

Crappy Claudio is failing our club towards building an MLS Cup caliber winning team. The lack of a third DP announcement, keeping Sloppy Saunders on this lineup, and no answers regarding Disney Prince Diskerud's situation is disturbing.

We don't have any good SuperDraft picks and the front office is on a news embargo just posting memories of 2016 and news from around the league.

Bad!

[We're just in a quiet period, if one week after the draft, news doesn't pick up, then I will be furious regarding preseason.]
The only thing that baffles me is the 4 keepers. Ridiculous

The only thing that baffles me is the 4 keepers. Ridiculous

My feeling is that we're sitting on Saunders, waiting to see how we can best trade him. My feeling is also that other clubs are being far from eager to bite, but one club will probably go for him eventually.

Reactions: Kjbert

Bad!

I'm just recycling sentiment here, but the lack of information/timing doesn't worry me at all. We will be in a position to judge the off-season in a few weeks. There is no relevance to finalizing a deal yesterday vs. a couple of weeks from now.

I can count on one hand (with a couple fingers missing) how many games where I thought we played well last season (exciting poorly played wins aside), so I am fine with an overhaul. That's a great start to fixing the team. I suspect that we will lose a few more players over the next few weeks (including a GK or two). We have a real shot at plugging in players who fit PV's vision, and with a season of (hopefully) lessons learned. I don't have 100% confidence that Claudio and co. will successfully knock it out of the park, but I do think we will see some favorable improvements in player imports.

I still long for some news, but I don't think the lack of it has any bearing on off-season success.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I'm just recycling sentiment here, but the lack of information/timing doesn't worry me at all. We will be in a position to judge the off-season in a few weeks.
I fully agree, and would go even further to say that if we don't have a DP signed by the start of the season -- not even one who joins us mid-season -- that will be disappointing, but we won't be able to know if that was a failure until perhaps July.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
If Guzan doesn't work out for them, we could always trade Johnson back to them for more than the initial trade - pick up some much needed Garber$$ - say make min$100k of the retrade. I'm fine going with Johansson for the year.

Josh and GAM for their high draft pick with it being a deep draft.

Ask and you shall receive.

So we heard the report from EoS that the loan wasn't finalized. Legit info, totally right.

But apparently it hasn't even been really started.

Apparently there's not even an offer from NYCFC to Barcelona SC on the table. The impression is that since Mena and/or his agent don't see him getting time next season they're doing this to force a move.

While it's shitty, it's happened before. Fabian Castillo's agent encouraged him to go to Turkey before any deal was done last season.

So, don't blame NYCFC for lack of news on this one. This one is ALL on Mena and his team as well as Barcelona SC.

So we heard the report from EoS that the loan wasn't finalized. Legit info, totally right.

Apparently there's not even an offer from NYCFC to Barcelona SC on the table. The impression is that since Mena and/or his agent don't see him getting time next season they're doing this to force a move.

While it's shitty, it's happened before. Fabian Castillo's agent encouraged him to go to Turkey before any deal was done last season.

So, don't blame NYCFC for lack of news on this one. This one is ALL on Mena and his team as well as Barcelona SC.
This sounds like Mena is feeling brazen after seeing NYCFC blink dealing with Mix. He knows he's #3 and has decided he has nothing to lose since NYCFC doesn't want to eat his salary on the bench - they can't punish him any more than what he's already expecting with the bench and the Cap can't handle losing another player to banishment.

It sucks for all of us that there's turmoil like this, but his agent played a strong hand, and that's what agents are supposed to do.

But unlike Castillo, our club is probably better off without him. If he wants out so bad let him go and clear the cap space.

Kreis lost the locker room. Has Reyna lost the negotiating table?