2017 Roster Discussion

I got Vieira being our next head coach right. I got Iraola retiring at the end of 2016 right. I got the new 2017 primary kit right. My money is on Khedira.

Etihad Island comes later. And that Mix hat trick.
Hope that's right. I had convinced myself that it was a stretch. It would be a grand slam. And it could even make Pirlo an MVP candidate.

Reactions: Ulrich
Tell me what Mix's best definable attribute is.

Mendoza's was his speed. Lopez's is being a ballhawk. Bravo's was being a physical presence in front of the back line.

For a reserve, you need to be able to come in and do something really different to break up the game. I don't think Mix does anything really that well.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

Mendoza's was his speed. Lopez's is being a ballhawk. Bravo's was being a physical presence in front of the back line.

For a reserve, you need to be able to come in and do something really different to break up the game. I don't think Mix does anything really that well.

giphy.gif

He runs around a lot, never goes to ground on tackles, and scored a crazy goal for the USMNT against Germany. Oh he also passes the eye test of amateur soccer talent evaluators while simultaneously going from starter->bench->not even on the bench two seasons in a row when evaluated by two professional coaches with two completely different styles and backgrounds. Poor Mix the guy has gotten such a bad break.

His ball posession, dribbling, and passing are his strengths.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
His ball posession, dribbling, and passing are his strengths.

Ok. Let's say I agree with you. How does that play into being a 20 minute game changer or disrupt or? That's the other problem with him being a bench guy. He doesn't have a singular great skill. He's not a scorer. He's not a defender. He's a possession guy. Only really works as a starter.

And frankly, Iraola and Pirlo did that job better than him and deserved to start.

Ok. Let's say I agree with you. How does that play into being a 20 minute game changer or disrupt or? That's the other problem with him being a bench guy. He doesn't have a singular great skill. He's not a scorer. He's not a defender. He's a possession guy. Only really works as a starter.

And frankly, Iraola and Pirlo did that job better than him and deserved to start.
How many games at the end of last year did our midfield hold possession vs getting run over? In the playoffs they acted like the ball was a hot potato and didn't want it.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
How many games at the end of last year did our midfield hold possession vs getting run over? In the playoffs they acted like the ball was a hot potato and didn't want it.

Two games in the playoffs. One without Pirlo and one where we needed to score a lot of goals. Not exactly a large sample size. I would prefer to use the other 34 games as a better sample size.

I think the biggest concern facing the midfield last year was pace and athleticism. Mix offers neither.

Two games in the playoffs. One without Pirlo and one where we needed to score a lot of goals. Not exactly a large sample size. I would prefer to use the other 34 games as a better sample size.

I think the biggest concern facing the midfield last year was pace and athleticism. Mix offers neither.
There were definitely more games than I pointed to where the team could not hold possession in the midfield. The Toronto games were first to my mind.

I also think you're selling him short on both pace and athleticism. He isn't Mendoza fast but he constantly hawked guys down on defense. And I'm not sure what you mean by athleticism - Mix Has a motor that runs non-stop Box-to-box, can contest aerial balls, and doesn't get knocked off the ball easily.

There are plenty of knocks on mix, but to repeat the claim that Lopez is a "ballhawk" doesn't make it true. Mix went toe to toe with Bradley this season and neutralized him. Mikey Lopez on the other hand, allowed him to sit on the ball all day long during his playoff game.

Reactions: barcafan and Ulrich
There were definitely more games than I pointed to where the team could not hold possession in the midfield. The Toronto games were first to my mind.

I also think you're selling him short on both pace and athleticism. He isn't Mendoza fast but he constantly hawked guys down on defense. And I'm not sure what you mean by athleticism - Mix Has a motor that runs non-stop Box-to-box, can contest aerial balls, and doesn't get knocked off the ball easily.

When I think about Mix, athleticism isn't a word that comes to mind. Not even near the top.

I would love to see him contribute but I think he's been found out to be woefully overrated

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Gotta love the evolution of the inevitable #MixThread

Well he wasn't given a chance (He was)
Well he never got to play with Iraola (He did)
Well the stats in those games show the midfield clicked (They don't)
Well he has great intangibles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The goalposts move less often during the summer at Yankee Stadium

Yayyyyy #MixThread

Gotta love the evolution of the inevitable #MixThread

Well he wasn't given a chance (He was)
Well he never got to play with Iraola (He did)
Well the stats in those games show the midfield clicked (They don't)
Well he has great intangibles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The goalposts move less often during the summer at Yankee Stadium

Yayyyyy #MixThread
And it's not even officially a Mix thread.

As any NYCFC Forums thread grows longer, the probability of it devolving into a Mix thread or stadium thread approaches 1.