2017 Roster Discussion

Please. Do not equate Shelton getting minutes at RW, when Harrison and others can be shifted around to make room, with Mix not being able to unseat Lampard. There was a different set of rules going on. And more importantly, Shelton getting minutes on the wing has absolutely zilch to do with Mix not getting a chance to play with Iraola in the midfield.

Mix did actually have two games playing in a 3 man midfield with Pirlo and Iraola as the DM. The Orlando game following the Red Bull Wedding, and the next game against RSL.

Then soon after was the Cosmos disaster and Mix never again left the doghouse

Mix did actually have two games playing in a 3 man midfield with Pirlo and Iraola as the DM. The Orlando game following the Red Bull Wedding, and the next game against RSL.

Then soon after was the Cosmos disaster and Mix never again left the doghouse
I stand corrected. Thank you.

That Orlando game should have been a win for him since he was subbed out before the tying goal. The next game was the cluster-fck where RSL score thread goals on two SOG. Both though had NYCFC with over 55% possession and created over 17 shots in one and 20 shots in the other - just so happens the important shooters only put 3&6 shots on goal and didn't finish. Still, those stats show the midfield was evidently clicking.

The game after the Kosmos, Lampard took the starting role and went 75min with a goal. With a healthy Lamps there was then no turning back at that point.

That Orlando game should have been a win for him since he was subbed out before the tying goal. The next game was the cluster-fck where RSL score thread goals on two SOG. Both though had NYCFC with over 55% possession and created over 17 shots in one and 20 shots in the other - just so happens the important shooters only put 3&6 shots on goal and didn't finish. Still, those stats show the midfield was evidently clicking.

The game after the Kosmos, Lampard took the starting role and went 75min with a goal. With a healthy Lamps there was then no turning back at that point.

All of this still doesn't explain why Mix couldn't beat out Lopez, Bravo, or TMAC for sub min even post lamps locking down the starting slot.

Reactions: FootyLovin
All of this still doesn't explain why Mix couldn't beat out Lopez, Bravo, or TMAC for sub min even post lamps locking down the starting slot.
We really still can't be describing it that way, can we? I refuse to except that language as the narrative.

He "beats them out" when he ties his fucking boots. There's that big of a difference.

We really still can't be describing it that way, can we? I refuse to except that language as the narrative.

He "beats them out" when he ties his fucking boots. There's that big of a difference.
In a way this was my point. Shelton did what needed to be done to work his way back in. Whether you phrase that as competing for minutes or getting out of the doghouse, he did what he had to do. Mix didn't.

AHABS. Maybe he did everything he could and R/PV refused to budge. Or maybe he didn't. We don't know.

On a side note ...

You down with R/PV, Yeah you know me!

Reactions: Christopher Jee
From Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan from the now locked 2017 Offseason Thread:

"Anyways, Twatman says that everyone at the combine is talking Khedira to NYC."

Isn't this our biggest rumor whopper since Pirlo even if it's just gossip at this point? The Forums has been all over this for a while, but this actually gives it some legs.

Last edited:
Wonder if it would be worth it with the open slot to classify mix as a dp. Would save 150k in allocation for half a year and 300k for the whole year. Could also use TAM to buy him down if we sign a new DP in the summer.

Obviously stats aren't everything, but looking one level deeper at these games:

Against Orlando, Mix had 0 shots, 0 key passes, and just 34 touches (second lowest among starters). Pirlo had 76 touches, an assist, and 3 key passes. Mix had two tackles and zero interceptions. Pirlo had four tackles and two interceptions.

Against RSL, Mix had 46 touches and 2 shots, but neither were on goal. He had one key pass. Pirlo had 79 touches and 4 key passes. Mix had 2 tackles, 0 interceptions. Pirlo had 1 tackle and 3 interceptions.

The sportswriter counter-spin is that Mix "unlocked" Pirlo or some other unsubstantiated claim. The indisputable facts we have tell us that Pirlo was the boss of that midfield, both offensively *and* defensively. I also left out Iraola's superior defensive contributions to Mix, and remember he has already been anointed as the "key" that unlocks Pirlo.

I'd love to be shown I'm wrong in some way and I should believe in Mix again, but every time this topic comes up, any faults in his game the last two years are just blamed on other players or coaches. It's crazy.

Against Orlando, Mix had 0 shots, 0 key passes, and just 34 touches (second lowest among starters). Pirlo had 76 touches, an assist, and 3 key passes. Mix had two tackles and zero interceptions. Pirlo had four tackles and two interceptions.

Against RSL, Mix had 46 touches and 2 shots, but neither were on goal. He had one key pass. Pirlo had 79 touches and 4 key passes. Mix had 2 tackles, 0 interceptions. Pirlo had 1 tackle and 3 interceptions.

The sportswriter counter-spin is that Mix "unlocked" Pirlo or some other unsubstantiated claim. The indisputable facts we have tell us that Pirlo was the boss of that midfield, both offensively *and* defensively. I also left out Iraola's superior defensive contributions to Mix, and remember he has already been anointed as the "key" that unlocks Pirlo.

I'd love to be shown I'm wrong in some way and I should believe in Mix again, but every time this topic comes up, any faults in his game the last two years are just blamed on other players or coaches. It's crazy.

All fine points until you compare Mix with his replacements, Mikey Lopez and Steven Mendoza in that spot. Whatever the faults in Mix' game, they are not as bad as the guys that were tried in that spot. And at the very least, his potential as a 24 year old player with successful intl experience, has not been cultivated, despite being on a team with Pirlo and Lampard, and coached by a great midfielder in Vieira.

Wonder if it would be worth it with the open slot to classify mix as a dp. Would save 150k in allocation for half a year and 300k for the whole year. Could also use TAM to buy him down if we sign a new DP in the summer.
It would absolutely be worth it if we can do it, and we absolutely should if we don't add another DP until the summer window.

But maybe there is a rule that you can't classify a particular player as a DP for half a season and then not a DP for the other half? Remember, our inaugural season, we technically had the opportunity to do this with Mix as well and we didn't (as far as I know).

Considering the other thread discussion about a lack of means to compare players's stats in soccer the way players in baseball are matched, I'm surprised you are trying to compare different positions within the midfield when it's universally known that they all have different responsibilities. Mix's movement on offense and pressure on defense helps the players around him that clean up the passes/loose balls & have room to make the "key passes" - it's a lot like fore-checking in hockey - those players don't have stats that show anything but they created the havoc that led to the turnover.

I believe we discussed this earlier on this thread or another parallel ("2017 offseason" or who knows what). It makes sense, especially if they plan on a summer signing for DP3. It also opens up the option of a TAM signing (if that's what Mix was). But then they should play Mix for the 6 months to at least showcase him for other teams so they can move him. If they won't play him, then use the once a year cut option. At least Slosh can be a backup in case of emergency, and as a keeper he retains his trade value sitting on the bench.

Reactions: Ulrich
From Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan from the now locked 2017 Offseason Thread:

"Anyways, Twatman says that everyone at the combine is talking Khedira to NYC."

Isn't this our biggest rumor whopper since Pirlo even if it's just gossip at this point? The Forums has been all over this for a while, but this actually gives it some legs.

I got Vieira being our next head coach right. I got Iraola retiring at the end of 2016 right. I got the new 2017 primary kit right. My money is on Khedira.

Etihad Island comes later. And that Mix hat trick.

Considering the other thread discussion about a lack of means to compare players's stats in soccer the way players in baseball are matched, I'm surprised you are trying to compare different positions within the midfield when it's universally known that they all have different responsibilities. Mix's movement on offense and pressure on defense helps the players around him that clean up the passes/loose balls & have room to make the "key passes" - it's a lot like fore-checking in hockey - those players don't have stats that show anything but they created the havoc that led to the turnover.

Of course. But just stating he did good things off the ball isn't proof of anything. I'm not going to be convinced by conclusory statements, and that's all that is ever presented regarding Mix.

Of course. But just stating he did good things off the ball isn't proof of anything. I'm not going to be convinced by conclusory statements, and that's all that is ever presented regarding Mix.
98% of good soccer is what's done off the ball. If you have CR7 on the team, it drops to 95%

Reactions: Kjbert