2017 Roster Discussion

So what we are looking at now

3 GKs (one is going to move)
6 defenders
5 midfielders
5 forwards/wingers.

I suspect we draft a CB and a LB as backup.

Need to sign a CB that can start or be the number 3.

Hopefully a DP at CDM.

Shawn Parker for the last spot at forward/winger.

Defense heavy the rest of the way, please.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
If the season were to start tomorrow,

I think we go

T-Mac-------Villa--------Jack
---------Camargo-----------
-------Pirlo------------------
------------------Lopez--------
Mata------Chanot---Brillant------Allen
---------------Johnson---------------

Offensive subs: Lewis, Shelton, Okoli, Mix*
Defensive subs: White, Gomez, Awuah

Yeah, looking at those subs, offense seems fine. Those defensive subs though are a little scary.

With Lopez, that lineup is maybe marginally better than inaugural season. If we do sign a DP at CDM, it's the best lineup we've seen yet IMO.

I really hope we sign Parker. I like Okoli, but I don't want him to be our only true CF God forbid something happened to Villa.

Sign the best possible DP, hopefully at CDM, but I think a TAM CDM would suffice. Sign a CB that can push Brillant for the starting role. Unload a keeper. Sign a back that can play right or left.

Overall, I like where our team is at right now.

Offense looks quick. Aside from Villa, we lack a goal scorer. Don't underestimate Lampard's 12 goals last year.

I agree a CDM would be a great fit but we're putting a lot of pressure on guys like Harrison, McNamara or Camargo to have career years.

Reactions: Ulrich
Offense looks quick. Aside from Villa, we lack a goal scorer. Don't underestimate Lampard's 12 goals last year.

I agree a CDM would be a great fit but we're putting a lot of pressure on guys like Harrison, McNamara or Camargo to have career years.

I agree with this. We have a lot of offensive depth now, but zero proven goalscorers beyond Villa. I'm not convinced that we can look exclusively at other positions for a DP or TAM player.

That said, CDM is definitely the main priority. But Iraola wasn't even a TAM player, so I'm not sure big spending is necessary, especially if we're just keeping the spot warm for a Khedira.

Hopefully a good CDM would help the leaky backline though, and we won't need as many goals as last year

It is safe to expect that Harrison's production will go up this year and will also play more than 21 times barring injury. Camargo will at least score a couple. We have a better keeper now, and with a good CDM, the defense should improve. We don't need to score 62 goals again. We just can't afford to give up 57.

It is safe to expect that Harrison's production will go up this year and will also play more than 21 times barring injury. Camargo will at least score a couple. We have a better keeper now, and with a good CDM, the defense should improve. We don't need to score 62 goals again. We just can't afford to give up 57.
We don't need to score 62 goals, but I'd like if we can score 75 - it's a nice round number that compensates for our colander strategy at the back.

Last edited:
After Javier Calle, I have no expectations for any loanees.

If Camargo had a year like Mendoza, I would be happy. But even Mendoza wasn't a difference maker.

So all this talk about our youth movement had me thinking. Is this factual? So here's the facts. We actually got 0.1 years younger last year from our inaugural season. And we're hopefully not done with our signings this season, but we've dropped less then a year on average from last year with this supposed youth movement. But Lalas says we're building this team backwards... Don't get me wrong, I like what were doing talent wise and cap wise, but we're not that much younger overall then we were year 1. Maybe I need to just plug in starters and see if there's a more drastic difference.

Screenshot 2017-01-13 21.10.53.png

So all this talk about our youth movement had me thinking. Is this factual? So here's the facts. We actually got 0.1 years younger last year from our inaugural season. And we're hopefully not done with our signings this season, but we've dropped less then a year on average from last year with this supposed youth movement. But Lalas says we're building this team backwards... Don't get me wrong, I like what were doing talent wise and cap wise, but we're not that much younger overall then we were year 1. Maybe I need to just plug in starters and see if there's a more drastic difference.

View attachment 6337

Don't forget that we will add another 6-7 players. The roster is very light right now. If you add 7 more players under the age of 25, it will bring the average age down

Reactions: Ulrich
Don't forget that we will add another 6-7 players. The roster is very light right now. If you add 7 more players under the age of 25, it will bring the average age down

And if they're older then 25 it will bring the average back up. Our DP3 and TAM will probably both be North of 25.

Reactions: Kjbert

I don't know that it is safe. He was unproductive at the end of the year, after there was tape. It's possible. But it's not necessarily probable.

After Javier Calle, I have no expectations for any loanees.

If Camargo had a year like Mendoza, I would be happy. But even Mendoza wasn't a difference maker.
Yep.

View attachment 6337
All the BSDs are two years older now. So it's practically impossible until we lose Pirlo and (God help us) Villa.

I don't know that it is safe. He was unproductive at the end of the year, after there was tape. It's possible. But it's not necessarily probable.
Most young rookie players asked to log a ton of minutes wear down physically by the end of the season. Add to it he started injured and that may be the reason why.