2017 Roster Discussion

My bad, I thought he was an 8.
With the teams he's usually played for, It does seem like an 8 a lot of the times because he is always on dominant squads. But he is definitely a defensive-minded ball-winner who will also get forward and score/assist a bit.

The more I consider it, the more I think he'd be perfect for us. he is smart enough to give us something going forward while also understanding how to cover defensively. He will also give us some much needed physicality, i.e., if Bradley dawdles on the ball around Khedira, it will not end well for Toronto. He might just take it off him, ride two defenders into the box and stick it in the net himself.

Plus, he might actually give us someone who can score from a set piece.

Here's what wiki says:
Khedira is considered a dynamic and well-rounded midfielder, with good awareness and "flawless aerial ability", who can cover a lot of ground efficiently, recover the ball and quickly join in the team's attacking plays; he is also capable of being a goal threat with his heading accuracy and powerful mid-range shooting.[1][3] A physically strong, energetic, and tactically intelligent player, he is also known for his ball-winning abilities, work-rate, and vision, as well as his solid technique and reliable passing, which allow him to play anywhere in midfield; although usually a central midfielder, he has also been deployed as a defensive midfielder or as a box-to-box midfielder, due to his stamina and versatility.[11][32][33][34

I think the draft and the signing shows us that T-Mac is going to be considered a CM this year. I just hope it is at LCM so he can still cut inside with the right foot. Move Pirlo over to RCM.

With the teams he's usually played for, It does seem like an 8 a lot of the times because he is always on dominant squads. But he is definitely a defensive-minded ball-winner who will also get forward and score/assist a bit.

The more I consider it, the more I think he'd be perfect for us. he is smart enough to give us something going forward while also understanding how to cover defensively. He will also give us some much needed physicality, i.e., if Bradley dawdles on the ball around Khedira, it will not end well for Toronto. He might just take it off him, ride two defenders into the box and stick it in the net himself.

Plus, he might actually give us someone who can score from a set piece.

Here's what wiki says:
Khedira is considered a dynamic and well-rounded midfielder, with good awareness and "flawless aerial ability", who can cover a lot of ground efficiently, recover the ball and quickly join in the team's attacking plays; he is also capable of being a goal threat with his heading accuracy and powerful mid-range shooting.[1][3] A physically strong, energetic, and tactically intelligent player, he is also known for his ball-winning abilities, work-rate, and vision, as well as his solid technique and reliable passing, which allow him to play anywhere in midfield; although usually a central midfielder, he has also been deployed as a defensive midfielder or as a box-to-box midfielder, due to his stamina and versatility.[11][32][33][34
I like that skill set a lot, but not next to Pirlo. We need someone who is not attack minded at all to play behind Pirlo, I think. If we don;t address a real defensive minded midfielder, I am afraid we are in for a long season.

I like that skill set a lot, but not next to Pirlo. We need someone who is not attack minded at all to play behind Pirlo, I think. If we don;t address a real defensive minded midfielder, I am afraid we are in for a long season.
If we sign Khedira in the summer window, Pirlo is only going to be here for half a season after that. I do think we need to sign or get a loanee as a Iraola replacement but Pirlo shouldn't affect whether or not we sign Khedira.

Based on PV's ESPN interview he's not concerned with conceding. He's focused on possession and scoring goals. He understands that with his system we will concede. He also mentioned that it's up to the entire team, not just defense, to protect the goal. Forwards/mids do this by maintaining possession and scoring. I don't think having the best back line and lowest goals allowed is a priority for him.

I think considering how hard we'd be to take off the ball with Khedira and Pirlo, we'd be fine. Getting hit on the break, is certainly an issue. But Khedira will boss an MLS midfield. There will not be a team that dominates us in the middle third the same as happened most every game last year. If PV did get over his issues with Mix and play those 3 together, we'd be dominant in the middle of the park.

I think considering how hard we'd be to take off the ball with Khedira and Pirlo, we'd be fine. Getting hit on the break, is certainly an issue. But Khedira will boss an MLS midfield. There will not be a team that dominates us in the middle third the same as happened most every game last year. If PV did get over his issues with Mix and play those 3 together, we'd be dominant in the middle of the park.
With those three, Pirlo could play more of a high role, ala Valderrama, and just worry about pulling the trigger freeing the forwards.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think that Vieira will limit Lewis' games and minutes in 2017 to carry his GA status into 2018.
That would be best unless we realize he's the one cog that makes our offense click/score. Highly doubtful he'd prove to be that important, but he's got wheels and great vision looking for the setup pass, and we're not the best at passing in the final third/box.

Khedira would play exactly where AI played but be able to selectively push forward and add a handful of goals both during the run of play and set pieces. He also would add more destroyer capabilities than AI had and free up Pirlo even more. We would have the most dominating/controlling midfield in the league. He would be AI on steroids.

Khedira would play exactly where AI played but be able to selectively push forward and add a handful of goals both during the run of play and set pieces. He also would add more destroyer capabilities than AI had and free up Pirlo even more. We would have the most dominating/controlling midfield in the league. He would be AI on steroids.
AI actually was in position a number of times last year where the crowd was yelling to shoot and he didn't. Khedira would gladly take the shot and then have to take a bow.

Who do we have on our team that can make short passes and maintain possesssion. That is also very good at getting back into position on D????

Oh yea, mix...
He's really good at getting back into position a couple of steps too late...

Having gone down a YouTube k-hole on Khedira, I wonder if he couldn't be the type of 6 that would be strong enough on both sides of the ball to play Pirlo as a true regista again. Feels like it would be a waste for Sami to play a pure holding role. Just makes me wonder whether we have another true box to box player to play in mind to play on the other side. Could Jack play that role? Hmm.

Having gone down a YouTube k-hole on Khedira, I wonder if he couldn't be the type of 6 that would be strong enough on both sides of the ball to play Pirlo as a true regista again. Feels like it would be a waste for Sami to play a pure holding role. Just makes me wonder whether we have another true box to box player to play in mind to play on the other side. Could Jack play that role? Hmm.

Khedira played cover man for Xabi Alonso at Real Madrid, so I think he can handle it for us.

Not having Lampard in the lineup will in itself give Pirlo more freedom, which is what I guess you mean with true regista. (B/c to me he was certainly playing as a regista last year)

In an ideal world, I would like for us to play those two with another CM. To me, I don't see that as Jack. Jack and the other wing can start outside and drift into the half spaces to play as AM.

All of that assumes there's no chance in hell we play Villa as a 9.5 or LAM, which I don't necessarily agree with but understand.