2017 Roster Discussion

Why would they fall to us though?

We have his discovery rights I would imagine. Players sold outside of MLS aren't subject to allocation.

That being said, I wonder if his status changes now that he is a full International. MLS could go back in and make him an Allocation List player if he has a good year and gets more USMNT appearances.

Reactions: adam
DPs on NYCFC with our financial backing should be used to acquire players that will impact the team as much as Villa has. Not to dick around with the salary cap. If we spend the whole year with 2 real DPs, its a major fail by the FO, which has had a few of those.

Do you think a talented 22-year-old, who has energy and athleticism, but not seasoning, can provide that kind of an impact? Especially when considering the lower cap charge and potential benefits from a future transfer?

I wouldn't want to go this way with all 3 DPs, but I think it makes sense to have 1 be a younger DP if you can find the right guy.

Remember that the lower cap charge means you get this DP, plus another guy that you can pay $260K/year.

There is also the fact that if your 3rd DP is a younger DP, then you don't have to pay $150K to the league for that 3rd spot. Not sure if that comes out of the salary budget, but the other teams get to split it as GAM.

Do you think a talented 22-year-old, who has energy and athleticism, but not seasoning, can provide that kind of an impact? Especially when considering the lower cap charge and potential benefits from a future transfer?

I wouldn't want to go this way with all 3 DPs, but I think it makes sense to have 1 be a younger DP if you can find the right guy.

Remember that the lower cap charge means you get this DP, plus another guy that you can pay $260K/year.

There is also the fact that if your 3rd DP is a younger DP, then you don't have to pay $150K to the league for that 3rd spot. Not sure if that comes out of the salary budget, but the other teams get to split it as GAM.

For a Front Office that gets slammed on here for how they manage the Cap, they seem to be pretty brilliant about taking advantage of all possible mechanisms. They sound pretty creative.

Reactions: adam
DPs on NYCFC with our financial backing should be used to acquire players that will impact the team as much as Villa has. Not to dick around with the salary cap. If we spend the whole year with 2 real DPs, its a major fail by the FO, which has had a few of those.

Feb 17: Villa (DP), Pirlo (DP), Ofori (Young DP)
July 17: Villa (DP), Pirlo (DP), Khedira (DP), Ofori (TAM)
Feb 18: Villa (DP), Khedira (DP), New Player 1 (Young DP), Ofori (TAM)
July 18: Villa (DP), Khedira (DP), New Player 2 (DP), New Player 1 (TAM), Ofori (TAM)
etc.

If we have determined that summer DP's are waaay better generally, then targeting a half-season Young DP and half-season TAM guy in February is brilliant from a cap perspective.

Its a risk, and I think we have the cash to get more of a sure thing with our DP spots

I think we saw in Year One though, that the DPs need some good support around them for a balanced team. And a lower cap hit of a Young DP means you can spread that money a little further to have quality across the lineup.

Feb 17: Villa (DP), Pirlo (DP), Ofori (Young DP)
July 17: Villa (DP), Pirlo (DP), Khedira (DP), Ofori (TAM)
Feb 18: Villa (DP), Khedira (DP), New Player 1 (Young DP), Ofori (TAM)
July 18: Villa (DP), Khedira (DP), New Player 2 (DP), New Player 1 (TAM), Ofori (TAM)
etc.

If we have determined that summer DP's are waaay better generally, then targeting a half-season Young DP and half-season TAM guy in February is brilliant from a cap perspective.

Ofori wouldn't be a TAM Guy unless his salary is greater than $460k. He would be a regular player with a DP Cap hit in Year One as we absorb a transfer fee.

Ofori wouldn't be a TAM Guy unless his salary is greater than $460k. He would be a regular player with a DP Cap hit in Year One as we absorb a transfer fee.

True, but I'm assuming he will cost slightly above DP level. In the $500-$750k range. But I'm just shooting darts.

True, but I'm assuming he will cost slightly above DP level. In the $500-$750k range. But I'm just shooting darts.

Here's the good news - we'll have to find out soon enough!

If the squad stopped with Ring and Ofori, could everyone live with that for the first half of the season? Assuming that they may have something else lined up for the summer (an Iraola type player)?

Here's the good news - we'll have to find out soon enough!

If the squad stopped with Ring and Ofori, could everyone live with that for the first half of the season? Assuming that they may have something else lined up for the summer (an Iraola type player)?
Dude, you just asked that second paragraph question(s) like I'd expect the intern to phrase it. Something you wanna tell us?

I personally would not be OK if the FO stopped there. Although our starting 11 has playoff potential if it clicks, our bench is not deep (and incredibly young aside from Brillant)

If Michael Farfan makes the team I would feel a bit better, but I still feel we can make a couple more additions. At least another fullback and striker.

I personally would not be OK if the FO stopped there. Although our starting 11 has playoff potential if it clicks, our bench is not deep (and incredibly young aside from Brillant)

If Michael Farfan makes the team I would feel a bit better, but I still feel we can make a couple more additions. At least another fullback and striker.

Huh?

We'd have Okoli (2016 USL MVP) as backup striker
Camargo & Tmac as our backup mids
Brilliant & white as backup CBs (if Chanot isn't moved to RB).
Gomez/allen (depending on who starts, if not Chanot) and possible Khiry for FB
Eirik for GK

That's pretty good depth for an MLS team that isn't playing in CCL.

Huh?

Eirik for GK

Open Cup doe

That's actually a REALLY good point. Remember, we can't have more then 5 foreign players on our roster for USOC. Hmm...

Villa (intl)
Jack (intl)
Tmac
Ring (intl)
Ofori (intl)
Pirlo (intl)
Mata (intl)
Callen (intl)
Brilliant (intl)
Chanot (intl)
SJ1

We've got a little problem there...
Hehe, we have maybe two domestic defenders that can play that aren't rookies.... I have a feeling there will be at least two international defenders out of the five.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
That's actually a REALLY good point. Remember, we can't have more then 5 foreign players on our roster for USOC. Hmm...

Villa (intl)
Jack (intl)
Tmac
Ring (intl)
Ofori (intl)
Pirlo (intl)
Mata (intl)
Callen (intl)
Brilliant (intl)
Chanot (intl)
SJ1

We've got a little problem there...
You asking for volunteers?

Huh?

Eirik for GK

Chanot as RB? So we use our best CB on RB? Chanot and Brillant still a good partner CBs, if you doubt then Chanot-Callens would be good. But no way Chanot play as RB, that's a waste of talent
For RB I would go with Allen or Gomez.
Here is my back four
Mata - Chanot - Brillant/Callens - Allen/Gomez