2017 Roster Discussion

I'm starting to believe we're gonna sign Ofori as a young DP
I don't disagree, but does it kind of bug you that we're using a DP slot of any sort on a guy who plays at a similar level to MLS and isn't getting game time for his national team?

I'm open-minded. I just wish that if we were going that route, it was someone who had a resume more like Almiron. In general, I just think it's hard to uncover gems in Europe. Even though scouting is global, as a practical matter, there just aren't a lot of cracks for people to slip through over there.

I don't disagree, but does it kind of bug you that we're using a DP slot of any sort on a guy who plays at a similar level to MLS and isn't getting game time for his national team?

I'm open-minded. I just wish that if we were going that route, it was someone who had a resume more like Almiron. In general, I just think it's hard to uncover gems in Europe. Even though scouting is global, as a practical matter, there just aren't a lot of cracks for people to slip through over there.
I don't get the excitement. Seems like a nice player, but not at a DP level.

Reactions: Futbolkicks

It's not like he is unknown in Europe though. He has been wanted by Rangers this window, nearly transferred to Hull in the summer, and was also sought out by West Brom and Sunderland. This guy is legit. Arguably the best player in his league.

I do understand the lack of excitement if the FO does go with Ofori as a DP player (looking at LA about to sign Alessandrini and Portland signing Blanco, it does make me envious), but having a young DP does have its advantages, such as more money to spend on other areas of the team.

If it allows us to bring more "Alexander Ring and Alexander Callens type players", we could have a very balanced team going into the season.

Ofori is 21, so he'll be a young DP for several seasons until he either graduates or transfers out. It looks like a smart financial move and an investment in the future move by the team.

In regards to the Juve formation discussion with Pirlo, I don't have much to contribute as I very rarely watch Juve, but in the UCL final against Barca, they ran a 4-4-2 diamond midfield with Pirlo deep.

The other three midfielders were Pogba, Vidal, Marchisio. I think that might have taken just a wee bit of box to box running/defending away from Pirlo.

I do understand the lack of excitement if the FO does go with Ofori as a DP player (looking at LA about to sign Alessandrini and Portland signing Blanco, it does make me envious), but having a young DP does have its advantages, such as more money to spend on other areas of the team.

If it allows us to bring more "Alexander Ring and Alexander Callens type players", we could have a very balanced team going into the season.

Ofori is 21, so he'll be a young DP for several seasons until he either graduates or transfers out. It looks like a smart financial move and an investment in the future move by the team.

I for one and totally cool with our DP signings not being so sexy (take that as you will Villa & Pirlo lovers). As long as they contribute and play a majority our our minutes (which is a problem with older DPs), then it's a good strategy. If we can actually nurture and sell off these players for GAM, well then we're the smartest team on the block.

We tend to forget our first worries were we a retirement team or a feeder team. Buying young developing players and having them play into their prime with us is exactly what we wanted right? Sure it would be great to hold on to them their whole careers, but even the best teams in the world sell off players when the price is right or the player wants to move on. Signing a young Ofori as a DP could be the start or really establishing this club as more then a merchandising ploy. (this coming from a HUGE swag whore)

Ofori wouldn't earn more than $1 million. He could be bought down on TAM if we want to sign a more expensive DP in the summer.

It's just good cap management to designate him. It's a allocation money free way to lower a $750k cap hit to $250k without limiting yourself from signing another DP later. A no brainer.

What if the goal of filling the third DP is strictly focused on finding a highly effective CDM, and one who can release Pirlo? With those intentions in mind, the 3 minutes of highlights of his very best, suggest that he can be that guy (for whatever that is worth, with the usual disclaimers about what that actually is worth). If we can't get Sami now or soon, I couldn't think of many household names at a DP level who we likely would be able to sign up for that role. So, then we are talking about guys like Ofori about whom we need to watch youtube videos. It's hard to get too excited about someone who I believe I have only watched play live once, and it makes me nervous/anxious as hell having no independent knowledge upon which to preliminarily judge a move, but on its face, it seems like it would be an acceptable course (especially as a young DP and one we can work under the $$ threshold later). Definitely not that sexy though.

Not really, Ghana has good talent so it's not an easy breakthrough. Plus it seems like a lot of their fans think he should be starting which is encouraging. He's only 21 so he can make his name with us.

Ofori wouldn't earn more than $1 million. He could be bought down on TAM if we want to sign a more expensive DP in the summer.

It's just good cap management to designate him. It's a allocation money free way to lower a $750k cap hit to $250k without limiting yourself from signing another DP later. A no brainer.
I'm with you on that. I love the strategy. I am just wondering aloud who might have been an alternative - maybe someone with a couple of more years under his belt and a bit more of a track record.

ETA:
What if the goal of filling the third DP is strictly focused on finding a highly effective CDM, and one who can release Pirlo? With those intentions in mind, the 3 minutes of highlights of his very best, suggest that he can be that guy (for whatever that is worth, with the usual disclaimers about what that actually is worth). If we can't get Sami now or soon, I couldn't think of many household names at a DP level who we likely would be able to sign up for that role. So, then we are talking about guys like Ofori about whom we need to watch youtube videos. It's hard to get too excited about someone who I believe I have only watched play live once, and it makes me nervous/anxious as hell having no independent knowledge upon which to preliminarily judge a move, but on its face, it seems like it would be an acceptable course (especially as a young DP and one we can work under the $$ threshold later). Definitely not that sexy though.

Absolutely agree with all of that. I just think it is worth discussing alternatives (meaning something for us to chat about here, as I am fully aware it's actual "worth" is nothing). It's a lot to ask of a 21 year old CDM to fit into our team.