2017 Roster Discussion

If Vieira continues with the 4-3-3...

------Harrison-------Villa-------Lewis----------
---------McNamara----------Pirlo---------------
--------------------------Ring-----------------------
---Mataritta---Brillant---Callens---Chanot---
----------------------Johnson----------------------

- I rate Chanot higher than RJ in terms of defense. I have no idea about Chanot on attack.
- I think Camargo becomes our Diego Martinez in 2017. Rarely used backup in the midfield.
- Shelton and Okoli are the first subs off the bench for Lewis. Mataritta comes forward so we're in a 3-4-3.

Chanot as RB? So we use our best CB on RB? Chanot and Brillant still a good partner CBs, if you doubt then Chanot-Callens would be good. But no way Chanot play as RB, that's a waste of talent
For RB I would go with Allen or Gomez.
Here is my back four
Mata - Chanot - Brillant/Callens - Allen/Gomez

Chanot was listed as a CB/RB when we signed him. I'm going on the premise that Callens will start and Brilliant > RJ/Gomez talent wise. Lining up as :

Mata- Callens-Brilliant - Chanot

That way Brilliant and Chanot get to still play next to each other. Keep the French connection going. And we get the most talent on our back line. It also allows Mata to charge up and we have 3 CBs to cover the 334, with Chanot playing Hernandez' role from last season.

EDIT: Was typing this on phone and talking on phone at same time when LionNYC LionNYC posted almost the same thing.

Reactions: Kjbert
If Vieira continues with the 4-3-3...

------Harrison-------Villa-------Lewis----------
---------McNamara----------Pirlo---------------
--------------------------Ring-----------------------
---Mataritta---Brillant---Callens---Chanot---
----------------------Johnson----------------------

- I rate Chanot higher than RJ in terms of defense. I have no idea about Chanot on attack.
- I think Camargo becomes our Diego Martinez in 2017. Rarely used backup in the midfield.
- Shelton and Okoli are the first subs off the bench for Lewis. Mataritta comes forward so we're in a 3-4-3.

Lewis will barely play for us if he's involved in U20 qualifying and tournament. Ofori replaces Tmac. You can put anyone you choose at wing with Jack: Shelton, Okoli, Tmac whomever. It'll sort itself out.

Reactions: sbrylski
That's actually a REALLY good point. Remember, we can't have more then 5 foreign players on our roster for USOC. Hmm...

Villa (intl)
Jack (intl)
Tmac
Ring (intl)
Ofori (intl)
Pirlo (intl)
Mata (intl)
Callen (intl)
Brilliant (intl)
Chanot (intl)
SJ1

We've got a little problem there...
Is that really a rule?

We have talent, yes, but I'm saying that if we have the cap, we should add more (that's a big IF after adding Callens and Ring). Ideally, you want to be "2-deep" at each position. Versatility helps, but positional changes will leave you weaker at one position. For instance, if we're penciling Chanot as our RB currently, that leaves us with a pretty weak CB depth. I also wouldn't want to move arguably our best CB to RB.

Okoli is a good backup but I want even more speed up top. Our wingers are talented, but I'm not expecting Lewis to hit the gate running. I don't see him making a huge impact in the first half of the year as he'll be away a lot and will also need to adjust to the league. That leaves us with Harrison, Shelton, and McNamara. Not bad, but I wouldn't mind another depth player.

Our midfield is probably our deepest position, especially if we add Ofori after AFCON. If we don't make another addition there I'll be fine with that.

CB is fine with the addition of Callens and White being a serviceable 4th CB. As for fullbacks, if/when Matarrita gets called up, we're suddenly very weak in that position. We'll probably cope by moving Chanot and White around and playing Gomez but I would feel a lot more comfortable with our D if we added a MLS vet or someone reliable.

Don't get me wrong, I think we have a lot of potential, but the MLS season is brutal, as we all know, and things don't usually go as planned. I just think that if we stopped signing players afte Ring & Ofori it would be premature.

We have talent, yes, but I'm saying that if we have the cap, we should add more (that's a big IF after adding Callens and Ring). Ideally, you want to be "2-deep" at each position. Versatility helps, but positional changes will leave you weaker at one position. For instance, if we're penciling Chanot as our RB currently, that leaves us with a pretty weak CB depth. I also wouldn't want to move arguably our best CB to RB.

Okoli is a good backup but I want even more speed up top. Our wingers are talented, but I'm not expecting Lewis to hit the gate running. I don't see him making a huge impact in the first half of the year as he'll be away a lot and will also need to adjust to the league. That leaves us with Harrison, Shelton, and McNamara. Not bad, but I wouldn't mind another depth player.

Our midfield is probably our deepest position, especially if we add Ofori after AFCON. If we don't make another addition there I'll be fine with that.

CB is fine with the addition of Callens and White being a serviceable 4th CB. As for fullbacks, if/when Matarrita gets called up, we're suddenly very weak in that position. We'll probably cope by moving Chanot and White around and playing Gomez but I would feel a lot more comfortable with our D if we added a MLS vet or someone reliable.

Don't get me wrong, I think we have a lot of potential, but the MLS season is brutal, as we all know, and things don't usually go as planned. I just think that if we stopped signing players afte Ring & Ofori it would be premature.

Exactly.

If we add Ring and Ofori, I'd be fine with the Starting XI and significant subs for the first half of the year. We would have a nice core in the midfield, and we have starters returning everywhere else.

I still think we would need some additional depth at the bottom of the roster to cover injuries, national team call ups, cup matches, etc. We need 5 CBs to do this, so add one more. We need 4 FBs, so one more there too. I think we need another CM and probably another forward. None of these are guys that will make headlines, but you need them to get through a full season.

I also don't see Callens as a regular starter, but as a 3rd CB who will get a lot of work coming off the bench and making spot starts. I expect our starting back four to be the group that finished the season.

Lewis Okoli Shelton
T-Mac Lopez
Allen Gomez
Rawls

8 Americans

Also gets easier when EiJo and Jack get green cards.

Lewis Okoli Shelton
T-Mac Lopez
Allen Gomez
Rawls

8 Americans

SJ1 is American. No need for Rawls.
Lopez couls still be out by then.
Lewis will probably be playing in U20 WC

Exactly.

If we add Ring and Ofori, I'd be fine with the Starting XI and significant subs for the first half of the year. We would have a nice core in the midfield, and we have starters returning everywhere else.

I still think we would need some additional depth at the bottom of the roster to cover injuries, national team call ups, cup matches, etc. We need 5 CBs to do this, so add one more. We need 4 FBs, so one more there too. I think we need another CM and probably another forward. None of these are guys that will make headlines, but you need them to get through a full season.

I also don't see Callens as a regular starter, but as a 3rd CB who will get a lot of work coming off the bench and making spot starts. I expect our starting back four to be the group that finished the season.

Right, we truly need 5 CBs. I wouldn't play Chanot as RB too. I prefer Allen over Chanot. We need fullback who can overlap and good at pace, that we have in RJ, Gomez. Chanot is a good defender, maybe he could play as RB when we are up by 2-0 or 3-0 or maybe he can play RCB at 334 role.

I think Awuah could play as LB right? He could be good backup at LB, if Mata has intl calls. If we sign Ofori n Ring, I would go to this starting mid. Michael Farfan could also be our good backup mid.
Ring (TMac) - Ofori (Awuah/Lopez) - Pirlo (Camargo/Farfan?)

Lewis Okoli Shelton
T-Mac Lopez
Allen Gomez
Rawls

8 Americans

I believe Gomez is from Trinidad, so he wouldn't count but I do expect him to play in the open cup if healthy.

I expect Awuah to get a contract and play for us in the open cup. I know he's considered domestic...would he count?

I expect Farfan to earn a contract with us and play in the open cup. With a couple more domestic additions (either from the league or our superdraft picks), I think we'll be fine.

Reactions: Kjbert and yogicen
I believe Gomez is from Trinidad, so he wouldn't count but I do expect him to play in the open cup if healthy.

I expect Awuah to get a contract and play for us in the open cup. I know he's considered domestic...would he count?

I expect Farfan to earn a contract with us and play in the open cup. With a couple more domestic additions (either from the league or our superdraft picks), I think we'll be fine.

Gomez has a green card.

Saw that Roma may have to move Argentine midfielder Leandro Paredes. I don't think we are at the level to aquire a player like him, but he's exactly the type of player we need in the midfield and on this team. He's a special player with a lot of talent.

Martin Caceres is still available on a free. I'd like him for us.