2017 Summer Signings

Even Patrick is losing faith in the FO. He said he wants these three players, but we have people whose job it is to figure out how to get them here.

We have all been shocked at the shitty moves they have done, like raises to RJ, Tmac and Saunders. Even keeping Brillant, who I like, at that salary, to be a backup was a bad move. They don;t seem to have any urgency of action. They wait until the last minute in every window. Leaving this team with no backups at CM and the mess at RB is shitty. Claudio should have gone with Kreis. How he convinced them that he had nothing to do with year 1's shit fest is beyond me.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Even Patrick is losing faith in the FO. He said he wants these three players, but we have people whose job it is to figure out how to get them here.

We have all been shocked at the shitty moves they have done, like raises to RJ, Tmac and Saunders. Even keeping Brillant, who I like, at that salary, to be a backup was a bad move. They don;t seem to have any urgency of action. They wait until the last minute in every window. Leaving this team with no backups at CM and the mess at RB is shitty. Claudio should have gone with Kreis. How he convinced them that he had nothing to do with year 1's shit fest is beyond me.
Two parties have to agree on any move and our hands are so tied that we may not be able to sweeten the pot enough to close the deals. I'm not giving the FO a pass on this, but shit happens sometimes and the other party may say no.

Let's wait until after the day is over to crucify the FO.

Hell no. We'd have 5 or 5 more points if he were here instead of TPFKAU.

no disagreements from me. Mix as the 4th midfielder on this team would be huge bc he can play any of the 3 spots. But I do not PV to play him and also think a majority of the supporters would be upset to see Mix back on a GAM contract.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Two parties have to agree on any move and our hands are so tied that we may not be able to sweeten the pot enough to close the deals. I'm not giving the FO a pass on this, but shit happens sometimes and the other party may say no.

Let's wait until after the day is over to crucify the FO.
They got ripped off not once, but twice in the draft. How much 2017 money did we fucking waste on trading up fro Awuah and Lewis, who have played bit parts all year? Could that money have been better spent to upgrade Ethan White or RJ Allen? We all knew we had no backups at CB and CM since January. The Front office only realizes this three days before the window closes?

If we have no money to make moves right now it is 100000% the front office's fault. They have sucked since the beginning.

Reactions: adam and SanBartG
They got ripped off not once, but twice in the draft. How much 2017 money did we fucking waste on trading up fro Awuah and Lewis, who have played bit parts all year? Could that money have been better spent to upgrade Ethan White or RJ Allen? We all knew we had no backups at CB and CM since January. The Front office only realizes this three days before the window closes?

If we have no money to make moves right now it is 100000% the front office's fault. They have sucked since the beginning.
To be fair, Lewis looks like he actually has a future at this club. He very well could be worth what we spent on him in the future.

lol wow you are on such a negative roll....was not happy even with RB performance even with win, want CFG to throw millions around even though cap space and other MLS rules dont allow full spending and salaries, are mad we paid for two rookies.....i mean maybe could of offered more for LB and CB instead but who with a LB or CB would just let them go....it would have to be a trade and we had nothing really to give.

plus in winter season not even good international ones are probably worth the buy ( we got chanot in summer)

those two kids are rookies in the grand scheme of things it was not that much what we paid for him (350K in total?) i think lewis at least will be better next year and this year can still use his speed, its not possible to assume 100% great impact first year.

lol wow you are on such a negative roll....was not happy even with RB performance even with win, want CFG to throw millions around even though cap space and other MLS rules dont allow full spending and salaries, are mad we paid for two rookies.....i mean maybe could of offered more for LB and CB instead but who with a LB or CB would just let them go....it would have to be a trade and we had nothing really to give.

plus in winter season not even good international ones are probably worth the buy ( we got chanot in summer)

those two kids are rookies in the grand scheme of things it was not that much what we paid for him (350K in total?) i think lewis at least will be better next year and this year can still use his speed, its not possible to assume 100% great impact first year.

All true. But even PV's public comments reveal the FO has lacked foresight and planning. Or maybe not. Maybe they are overplaying their hand and getting boxed out. Either way, if this window closes without at least one good acquisition they are going to have a lot to explain.

All true. But even PV's public comments reveal the FO has lacked foresight and planning. Or maybe not. Maybe they are overplaying their hand and getting boxed out. Either way, if this window closes without at least one good acquisition they are going to have a lot to explain.

injuries can change plans....i think we needed a RB and a CB back up in beginning of year thats all really. now we need anything in the back line due to using all options on depth.

Lewis would still have zero starts on the year if Wallace and Camargo hadn't gotten hurt. $350k is another top starter in this league. Wasting starter money when ethan white is your RB solution shows you don't care about 2017. For 350k you could get a guy just like lewis that would actually play in 2017. 350k is not what you spend to develop a player in salary capped MLS, that's a year one starter.

How long has Matarrita been hurt? We literally have no backup Left back on the roster right now, and the window closes today. We have 6 backups on the whole team. 10 positions, 6 backups. Lopez, RJ, Pirlo, Tmac, Shelton and ugo. (Awuah and stertzer are completely unrated by Vieira). The roster construction is a joke, but they are waiting until the last day to do anything?

injuries can change plans....i think we needed a RB and a CB back up in beginning of year thats all really. now we need anything in the back line due to using all options on depth.

that's a great point. Had we not had so many injuries we probably would be having a different conversation.

I just wish the FO would maintain a little more flexibility to maneuver during gr transfer windows which it seems like they haven't done.

Lewis would still have zero starts on the year if Wallace and Camargo hadn't gotten hurt. $350k is another top starter in this league. Wasting starter money when ethan white is your RB solution shows you don't care about 2017. For 350k you could get a guy just like lewis that would actually play in 2017. 350k is not what you spend to develop a player in salary capped MLS, that's a year one starter.

How long has Matarrita been hurt? We literally have no backup Left back on the roster right now, and the window closes today. We have 6 backups on the whole team. 10 positions, 6 backups. Lopez, RJ, Pirlo, Tmac, Shelton and ugo. (Awuah and stertzer are completely unrated by Vieira). The roster construction is a joke, but they are waiting until the last day to do anything?

350K but who in the league gives them up? thats a starter? no one. internationally pickings are slim in winter already. do you want senderos like houston did? a guy that could not even cut it in rangers ? i mean you dont just buy just to buy.

its not really possible on any time to have back up for backs in every position ....especially in a cap spaced league like MLS. you are going to have to wing it with some.

well yea they are waiting for today....do you think PV and FO had planned that mata, wallace, chanot, sands, shelton, would all be injured at once and force to use depth constantly. again ....we didnt have that much cash ...and no one is trading for sterzter, shelton, tmac, awuah.

should they get someone ....yes because of the injuries. but its impossible to predict in the start what position would of been needed.

Reactions: Ulrich

Mata's injury, and lack of ability to transfer, is very likely impacting this window. Move him, get the GAM, and the FO would have had a TON of flexibility this window. The FO very likely had a plan ready and it was undone with a single foot stomp.

350K but who in the league gives them up? thats a starter? no one. internationally pickings are slim in winter already. do you want senderos like houston did? a guy that could not even cut it in rangers ? i mean you dont just buy just to buy.
What does this mean? You dont blow 350k on the stupor draft if you don't have all your starters and backups in place.

I think you bring up some decent points, but to be fair, Lewis was drafted before Wallace was signed, and Camargo was only here on loan.

I'm completely ok with spending the GAM so far on Lewis. He looks like a real contributor, is young and can be developed, and is on a GA contract.

I think the criticism regarding the Awuah move is fair, but I am willing to wait on that at the moment.

Edit: To continue further on the Lewis comment, I think its safe to assume we may get two years of Lewis on a GA contract. And I think a fairly conservative contract value for his performance is around $100k. We traded $250k in GAM for him, so that would come around to a net $150k loss this year, and a $100k gain for next year.

Edit2: I wasn't considering that the last several players on our roster don't count against the cap, so without looking at that list at the moment, roughly add $60k to the loss this year and subtract $60k to the gain for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam and sundance
What does this mean? You dont blow 350k on the stupor draft if you don't have all your starters and backups in place.

its not blowing anything.....your investing and trying to have something in future....kids was rated and playing in NT so its not like he was a nobody and had no hope. if he pans out great ....if not then yea it was money pissed away.....its still much cheaper than other "mistakes" FO have done.

the flip side is if in two years we have no winger or have a not so good one....and thought...you know we should of gotten that kid for 250 etc...still cheaper than what it can cost now.

we had a second round pick this year until we bought those two or else we would havea kid that was released in pre season and had nothing at all.

and again...no team in MLS has all the backups they want in place....so many teams lack depth or depth just is not good enough....it what we have in talent at this moment in league.

academy is the answer for me....but thats years away

Mata's injury, and lack of ability to transfer, is very likely impacting this window. Move him, get the GAM, and the FO would have had a TON of flexibility this window. The FO very likely had a plan ready and it was undone with a single foot stomp.
I think the Plan was to move Mata after the 2018 World Cup when his transfer value would be highest and our share of the transfer fee would also be highest.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
its not blowing anything.....your investing and trying to have something in future....kids was rated and playing in NT so its not like he was a nobody and had no hope. if he pans out great ....if not then yea it was money pissed away.....its still much cheaper than other "mistakes" FO have done.

the flip side is if in two years we have no winger or have a not so good one....and thought...you know we should of gotten that kid for 250 etc...still cheaper than what it can cost now.

we had a second round pick this year until we bought those two or else we would havea kid that was released in pre season and had nothing at all.

and again...no team in MLS has all the backups they want in place....so many teams lack depth or depth just is not good enough....it what we have in talent at this moment in league.

academy is the answer for me....but thats years away
Wasting the money on trades in the draft is the FO making up for the embarrassment of not starting their academy at all levels right away. Atlanta has homegrown players in year one. When you see how badly Atlanta's FO has outperformed us in one year despite the vaunted CFG money machine, it makes all the excuses ring hollow.

I think you bring up some decent points, but to be fair, Lewis was drafted before Wallace was signed, and Camargo was only here on loan.

I'm completely ok with spending the GAM so far on Lewis. He looks like a real contributor, is young and can be developed, and is on a GA contract.

I think the criticism regarding the Awuah move is fair, but I am willing to wait on that at the moment.

Edit: To continue further on the Lewis comment, I think its safe to assume we may get two years of Lewis on a GA contract. And I think a fairly conservative contract value for his performance is around $100k. We traded $250k in GAM for him, so that would come around to a net $150k loss this year, and a $100k gain for next year.
Also, Camargo was having a good Gold Cup with Panama, but with us had been bad to horrible every time he saw the field. Maybe passable in one match. IMHO Lewis has done much better with the chances he's had than Camargo, so he would be the #1 sub for Wallace. Also, with his pace he's a pretty attractive option at the 65 minute or so.

Reactions: Ulrich

I generally agree with most of what you are saying, however I'll defend the Lewis pick at least a little bit.

$350k on a high-ish upside young American is very different than $350k on a decent veteran foreign player. We paid both an upside premium (~$100k?) and a non-international premium (~$75k per international spot). In other words, I could argue he's "worth" the same amount as a $175k 32-year-old foreigner.

Also, in your rage (j/k), you appear to be talking from both sides of your mouth. On one hand, you are shitting on the front office for not bringing in more depth. On the other hand, you are shitting on the Lewis addition because he started the year as a backup. You have to either support spending money on your bench or not, pick one.