2017 Summer Signings

maybe...but its not like CFG can drop 50 million right now on players even if it wanted to. nor will it ever freely be able to....only on DP's and we only get one spot next year

Sure they can. FFP has nothing to do with NYCFC. If they wanted to go buy Willian right now, NYCFC could do it n

Everyone just remember there's always GAM in the banana stand.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Something I mentioned on Twitter:

MLS contracts are prorated.

If you sign a $100k annual deal for 3 years and join tomorrow you only get $50k for this year because you're only playing half the year.

So that ~$200k in cap space is really more like $400k.

Also, don't be surprised to see NYCFC looking at cheap depth options like former draftee Jalen Brown.

Yangel Herrera is earning $123.5K. So assume Ferraresi will earn a similar amount so that's 60K prorated giving us 140K left if he comes over now rather than in December.

If we're looking to free up cap space...

- McNamara earns $185K full year salary
- Shelton earns $110.4K full year salary
- Stertzer earns $65K full year salary
- Brillant earns $320K full year salary
- Pirlo, well, you know how that would work

The obvious, maximum benefit, top option would be transfer Pirlo to Italy or have him retire, but that's not happening.

McNamara is probably the most tradable asset with his stats compared to others and being on the US Gold Cup 40 man provisional roster (even though that's meaningless). I think we could fetch 100-200K in GAM for him. Who would trade for him? I have no clue.

However, we're more concerned with brining in new players rather than selling so the front office is focused on freeing up cap space first and getting goods in returns for trades second.

We did a lot in the offseason. Lewis was 250K GAM, Awuah was 75K GAM, Wallace was 75K GAM + 50K TAM (We traded with Portland for the first refusal for him), Colorado International Roster Spot was 75K GAM, Sean Johnson GAM and TAM trade was not disclosed, and are we still responsible for some of Josh Saunders' 150K salary?

I don't tomorrow will be eventful.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
What does GAM or TAM do to free up cap space? So we're only signing one international player? Or at least one who doesn't have a green card. Ugh.
Maffeo on loan and trade for Ashley Cole. Speak it into existence

Reactions: Kjbert
Yangel Herrera is earning $123.5K. So assume Ferraresi will earn a similar amount so that's 60K prorated giving us 140K left if he comes over now rather than in December.

If we're looking to free up cap space...

- McNamara earns $185K full year salary
- Shelton earns $110.4K full year salary
- Stertzer earns $65K full year salary
- Brillant earns $320K full year salary
- Pirlo, well, you know how that would work

The obvious, maximum benefit, top option would be transfer Pirlo to Italy or have him retire, but that's not happening.

McNamara is probably the most tradable asset with his stats compared to others and being on the US Gold Cup 40 man provisional roster (even though that's meaningless). I think we could fetch 100-200K in GAM for him. Who would trade for him? I have no clue.

However, we're more concerned with brining in new players rather than selling so the front office is focused on freeing up cap space first and getting goods in returns for trades second.

We did a lot in the offseason. Lewis was 250K GAM, Awuah was 75K GAM, Wallace was 75K GAM + 50K TAM (We traded with Portland for the first refusal for him), Colorado International Roster Spot was 75K GAM, Sean Johnson GAM and TAM trade was not disclosed, and are we still responsible for some of Josh Saunders' 150K salary?

I don't tomorrow will be eventful.
Brillant isn't going anywhere - we're woefully short on starting caliber CB's since Chanot won't start running for two weeks.

Note that TAM can be used to buy a player down as low as $100k, or $50k prorated. So if we have $200k TAM left, that would be enough to bring in a $500k player right now at a cap hit of just $50k.
You're thinking too high. Vieira wants three players so they can't all earn too much.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm putting a name out here. Saad Abdul-Salaam of SKC. He can play anywhere on the right and is primary a right back. His full salary is 110K. There was a MLSsoccer.com post saying him for McNamara would be a trade to benefit both parties.

So think about this...straight swap McNamara for Abdul-Salaam gives us 70K of additional cap space, or 35K for the half year.

Ferraresi comes in on 120K full year salary, so it's only a 25K net gain on our salary cap and he uses the international roster spot.

That leaves one player to make three. Long shot name: Tim Parker of Vancouver.

A 2017 International roster slot is an asset with rapidly diminishing value. It does us no good to keep if we're not using it because it expires at the end of the season. At this point we likely know whether there is any chance of using it or not, and if not, then sell it. Atlanta just got $75k for one. It's not a lot, but come mid-December that slot is worth $0.