2018 Roster Discussion

I've been hounding the team for an update. Though I expect at least one green card to be announced, we'll see when or if they even announce it.

By my count we're three over the international roster spot (though that's closer to 2)
The Ring green card announcement took me by surprise. Mentioned Chanot's green card on the last podcast this Tuesday. He actually got it a few months ago so I'm surprised it took this long to announce.

So 5 International Only USOC Roster:

Johnson, Abdul-Salaam, Chanot, Callens*, Matarrita, Ring, Herrera*, Moralez*, Lewis, Medina*, Villa*

Subs: Stuver, Sweat, McNamara, Ibeagha, Awuah, Sands, Wallace

We're going to need to sign some homegrowns because I've exhausted our domestic/green card list.

Last edited:
Got to figure a third one didn't go through in time and the $175k GAM trade was a panic buy. Oh well. When it does come through it'll give us some flexibility.

I'm surprised Villa has gotten one. From everything we've heard, he wants to stay in New York after he retires, so why not get something that grants you permanent status? Keane on LAG got one down the line. Villa should get one at some point this season.

I'm surprised Villa has gotten one. From everything we've heard, he wants to stay in New York after he retires, so why not get something that grants you permanent status? Keane on LAG got one down the line. Villa should get one at some point this season.

Could be. As far as the roster goes, it'd be better to get one for somebody who'll play here longer—international slots will only get more expensive.

So 5 International Only USOC Roster:

Johnson, Abdul-Salaam, Chanot*, Callens*, Matarrita, Ring, Herrera*, Moralez*, Lewis, Wallace, Villa*

Subs: Stuver, Sweat, McNamara, Ibeagha, Awuah, Sands

We're going to need to sign some homegrowns because I've exhausted our domestic/green card list.
Chanot’s asterisk got green carded. You can add another international, although doesn’t Awuah count as Canadian so he’d be the Int, or Canadians are grandfathered in as a domestic for our cross-border league?

Chanot’s asterisk got green carded. You can add another international, although doesn’t Awuah count as Canadian so he’d be the Int, or Canadians are grandfathered in as a domestic for our cross-border league?

Yes, edited. Wallace to the bench, Medina starting.

The rule is that Canadians are only domestic players for Canadian clubs, but Awuah's not one of NYCFC's internationals.

Found the explanation: "Awuah will occupy a domestic roster spot as part of the Generation adidas Canada initiative – a joint taskforce between MLS and the Canadian Soccer Assocation, pending receipt of his P1 Visa and ITC."

https://www.nycfc.com/post/2017/02/20/kwame-awuah-signs-nycfc

Last edited by a moderator:
It's time for my favourite moment of the off-season - wild roster speculation based on the squad numbers!

1. Sean Johnson
  2. Ben Sweat
  3. Anton Tinnerholm
  4. Maxime Chanot
  5. Cedric Hountondji
  6. Alexander Callens
  7. David Villa
  8. Alex Ring
  9. Jo Inge Berget
  10. Maxi Moralez
  11. Vacant
  12. Ebenezer Ofori
  13. Saad Abdul-Salaam
  14. Kwame Awuah
  15. Tommy McNamara
  16. James Sands
  17. Jonathan Lewis
  18. Jeff Caldwell
  19. Jesus Medina
  20. Vacant
  21. Vacant
  22. Ronald Matarrita
  23. Rodney Wallace
  24. Andre Rawls
  25. Vacant
  26. Vacant
  27. Vacant
  28. Vacant
  29. Ismael Tajouri-Shradi
  30. Yangel Herrera
  31. Vacant
  32. Vacant
  33. Sebastien Ibeagha
41. Brad Stuver

• First and foremost, whoever agreed to let Sweat keep #2 while Tinnerholm gets #3 should be sacked immediately and I'm not even joking. That's going to drive me mad whenever Sweat's at LB. Pure sacrilege
  • Number 11 left open, huh :smirk: (No seriously, Jack's blatantly going to come back for a cheeky summer isn't he)
  • Berget probably won't spend much time on the wing
  • Why didn't Tajouri want a better number? Is he actually any good?
  • Brad Stuver has a boring story about the number 41 he wants you to hear!
  • Vacant is one to watch, should be pushing for a first-team spot at this rate

It's time for my favourite moment of the off-season - wild roster speculation based on the squad numbers!

• First and foremost, whoever agreed to let Sweat keep #2 while Tinnerholm gets #3 should be sacked immediately and I'm not even joking. That's going to drive me mad whenever Sweat's at LB. Pure sacrilege
  • Number 11 left open, huh :smirk: (No seriously, Jack's blatantly going to come back for a cheeky summer isn't he)
  • Berget probably won't spend much time on the wing
  • Why didn't Tajouri want a better number? Is he actually any good?
  • Brad Stuver has a boring story about the number 41 he wants you to hear!
  • Vacant is one to watch, should be pushing for a first-team spot at this rate

When David Villa leaves you think someone is going to take 7 right away? They don't retire numbers in soccer, but you need to let some time pass. Harrison is still fresh in fans' minds.

When David Villa leaves you think someone is going to take 7 right away? They don't retire numbers in soccer, but you need to let some time pass. Harrison is still fresh in fans' minds.

A few teams have retired numbers (West Ham retired 6 for Bobby Moore I think?), but generally speaking most teams just tend to move on. Surprised we didn't do it with 11, which makes me wonder what we're waiting for.

(That said I think there's a pretty solid case for retiring #7 for Villa)

you need to let some time pass.
19. Jesus Medina
mls-New-York-City2016_065.jpg

Players picked their numbers at the start of training camp, and since Harrison was still on the team at that point, No. 11 wasn't available. That's probably why the 11 is left empty.

The fact the team only released jersey numbers now is irrelevant -- most guys already had their numbers in January (aside from the very new guys like Berget and Ofori).

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I think the Ring clue was when he didn't go to Mexico.
From that game thread:
What's a bit surprising is that Ring got his Green Card in a year... I had no idea it could be processed that quickly. I wonder if, in addition to his job with a multi-year contract (extended tax revenue), having a child born here had any impact on the process? Obviously it's different from the tourist-visa babies that are born solely to gain citizenship, because he was already here on an extended work visa, but once the child was born, did it lends credence to his desire to stay stateside for the long term? Maybe he pledged his kid's NT allegiance/career to the US as collateral [kidding]?

or maybe the process really is that fast for some???