2018 Roster Discussion

I have been assured dozens, if not hundreds of times, that CFG would be a league leader in providing resources to NYCFC. Now I give them slack for not building a stadium yet. I get how hard it is. I wrote the posts somewhere deep in the stadium thread about the history of NYC stadium and sport arena difficulties.

But as they are deferring that giant expense, perhaps involuntarily, I think it is reasonable for them to move forward on other big investments. And they have lagged. I'd put our ownership in the top 25% of the league overall, and would entertain arguments that they fit in the 10-20% slot, but they definitely are not leaders.

To play Devil's Advocate, what other big investments do you think they should be making?

think the idea was that the class grows into the age that would warrant a USL team, i think we are close to that point. they will have to have mls rejects and other dudes to make up the team

maybe USL D3 is a cheaper option even though first year will be like 8 teams only.

I think we both agree here. We're getting close to that Academy Class getting to an age when you can graduate players to a USL2 setting. Fill it out with guys like Bedoya (if we sign him), Awuah and one of the goalkeepers.

But again, up until now, there hasn't been enough players to have a team. I know they are talking about 2020. I still think that's ambitious.

Can the Academy kids play in USL2 if they are not professionals?

I think we both agree here. We're getting close to that Academy Class getting to an age when you can graduate players to a USL2 setting. Fill it out with guys like Bedoya (if we sign him), Awuah and one of the goalkeepers.

But again, up until now, there hasn't been enough players to have a team. I know they are talking about 2020. I still think that's ambitious.

Can the Academy kids play in USL2 if they are not professionals?

that USL D3? not sure really but i think they are technically "pros" so they would have to sign pro contracts, then you get into the whole NCAA eligibility etc so they may not want to sign

Reactions: Kjbert
I’ll say that a championship doesn’t increase attendance at all. Only a SSS or big name signings help the gate.

I bet a CCL championship might help. You're not going to convince skeptics by beating other American teams they are also skeptical of. If it ever happens, marketing has to make a HUGE deal about it.

Reactions: Vallos and adam
Seems like a reasonable target. A sustained 30k would give us the third-best attendance in the league.

I agree that what drives attendance isn't championships per se, it's a culture that's genuinely excited about soccer and sees it as a legitimate big league sport, like in Atlanta and Seattle. But I don't think we'll get that in New York until we've got a Yankees-type dynasty that allows the city to feel superior. And I think that's when CFG (who's been good to us, don't get me wrong) will really buy in too.
Essentially agree on all of this, but I do think that a championship would help - somewhere (well) below significantly but (potentially) above noticeably. In this market, visibility is critical, and it's been a struggle for many well-discussed and obvious reasons. A championship run would drive just a little more coverage, whether it's the papers, some actual coverage on the news, and a parade through the city. It also gives the team some much better marketing material. That would get us some more looks, and it's a numbers game on conversions.

And, yes, a sustained 30K in this market for whatever reasons would be an immense success.

Question moving forward is - who is that European Star?

I think they could also do it with an American star but there is only one of those right now and he's playing for Dortmund.

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ
think the idea was that the class grows into the age that would warrant a USL team, i think we are close to that point. they will have to have mls rejects and other dudes to make up the team

maybe USL D3 is a cheaper option even though first year will be like 8 teams only.
That is the team’s idea. It’s also a waste of 5+ years of a viable second team to fill spots waiting for a bunch of 14yos to grow up. We’ve had issues the last two years where we had enough injuries to do a deep dive into the bottom of our roster for guys that never get minutes. Would have been nice to have a reserves of players that have recent game experience and they could have been playing with area kids that were older than the original “14s” and not versed in the City Way, but useful and talented in their own right. How many of those kids went to RB instead because we didn’t have a place for them?

Reactions: Kjbert
To play Devil's Advocate, what other big investments do you think they should be making?
There are 4 main capital investments, apart from the club itself: training ground, academy, USL team, and stadium. They pursued and completed the training ground in reasonable haste. The stadium situation is what it is.
It's the academy and USL team. Your rationale for not having a USL team is we don't have the academy graduates to populate it. I have 2 thoughts in response.
First, do you need a USL team now when you have 1-5 players who have nowhere else to play or later when you have a full roster of players with nowhere else to play? I suggest you need it now, and fill out the roster somehow so these guys don't languish.
Second, I'm still not happy with the decision to slow-walk the academy. I don't think they did it just to save money, but I do think there is a decent chance they did not appreciate the value within MLS of graduating a quality player who came into your academy just 1 year before he moves up: salary cap benefits, sell on GAM, etc. Other new teams did that and have been rewarded. We haven't because -- I think -- CFG thought about the academy equally as a feeder for their entire consortium as something that is primarily meant to help NYCFC, and 17 year-olds who haven't been taught the City way for 4-5 years have little value for them. And NYCFC ended up waiting 3-5 years for the first players to graduate and when they do we have nowhere for them to go.

There are 4 main capital investments, apart from the club itself: training ground, academy, USL team, and stadium. They pursued and completed the training ground in reasonable haste. The stadium situation is what it is.
It's the academy and USL team. Your rationale for not having a USL team is we don't have the academy graduates to populate it. I have 2 thoughts in response.
First, do you need a USL team now when you have 1-5 players who have nowhere else to play or later when you have a full roster of players with nowhere else to play? I suggest you need it now, and fill out the roster somehow so these guys don't languish.
Second, I'm still not happy with the decision to slow-walk the academy. I don't think they did it just to save money, but I do think there is a decent chance they did not appreciate the value within MLS of graduating a quality player who came into your academy just 1 year before he moves up: salary cap benefits, sell on GAM, etc. Other new teams did that and have been rewarded. We haven't because -- I think -- CFG thought about the academy equally as a feeder for their entire consortium as something that is primarily meant to help NYCFC, and 17 year-olds who haven't been taught the City way for 4-5 years have little value for them. And NYCFC ended up waiting 3-5 years for the first players to graduate and when they do we have nowhere for them to go.
Thank you for taking the time to write that out succinctly.

Is there any reason we haven't loaned out Sands, Scally, or Haak to a USL side this year? Do their parents not want them leaving, or is the team just missing a big chance for game time? I'm sure there are numerous USL teams that would be bettered by having Sands, Haak, or Scally.
If they aren't getting playing time, they're going to rot. Hell, send them to Colorado or San Jose for the 2nd half of the year. They're basically USL sides anyway.

Is there any reason we haven't loaned out Sands, Scally, or Haak to a USL side this year? Do their parents not want them leaving, or is the team just missing a big chance for game time? I'm sure there are numerous USL teams that would be bettered by having Sands, Haak, or Scally.
If they aren't getting playing time, they're going to rot. Hell, send them to Colorado or San Jose for the 2nd half of the year. They're basically USL sides anyway.
Haak isn’t signed so he can’t be loaned out. Loaning one of the others to our affiliate would probably entail their parent(s) moving with them to help with their living conditions since it’s a lot to ask a 15yo to live on his own. While a parent may do that for a top Euro team, they aren’t gonna pick up and move for a USL side.

This will be interesting to watch develop. He doesn't want to be here (or anywhere) but he wasn't going to play much more, if at all, at Girona. Were it not for Dome, this would never have happened. We'll see what he can bring and how well he adjusts to this league and playing backup to Maxi.
How can you tell he doesn't want to be here?

This will be interesting to watch develop. He doesn't want to be here (or anywhere) but he wasn't going to play much more, if at all, at Girona. Were it not for Dome, this would never have happened. We'll see what he can bring and how well he adjusts to this league and playing backup to Maxi.
How do you know he doesn't wanna be here?