2018 Roster Discussion

Doesn't seem like a CFG thing to invite potential trouble into the locker room. We do like little dudes tho.
I give the ATL front office (Bocanegra) big props for slamming that little punk to the curb. Boca knows what Harkes did to the USMNT and he’s not putting up with it.

I just wish the little shit would’ve waited until after the transfer window closed to make his advances.

Rumor that an MLS team is willing to let a 19-year-old, $15m attacker go for cheap. Can't confirm which one though.

In similar news, another MLS team sold their teenager for upwards of $20 Million today.

Academy player
Homegrown contract
USL side
Senior side
$20 Million transfer fee

NYCFC isn't doing right by the Sands and Scallys of the world without having a clear path to professional minutes for them.

In similar news, another MLS team sold their teenager for upwards of $20 Million today.

Academy player
Homegrown contract
USL side
Senior side
$20 Million transfer fee

NYCFC isn't doing right by the Sands and Scallys of the world without having a clear path to professional minutes for them.

Not right by Sands & Scally, and not right by the club and its fans with all the GAM it's giving up killing their careers on the senior bench when they could be on their way to being sold in a couple years with proper development.

Not right by Sands & Scally, and not right by the club and its fans with all the GAM it's giving up killing their careers on the senior bench when they could be on their way to being sold in a couple years with proper development.

If we had a time machine, you would go back and start the Academy before the senior side launched. LAFC and Atlanta did that. That's what we should have done.

Sands and Scally are getting paid and their family made the right decision in their eyes. But you can't tell me their development isn't stunted. Sands specifically needs to be playing against men right now. Playing in a U-19 Final is great and all, but he needs to be going up against the Sean Okolis of the world in USL matches once a week.

Academy player
Homegrown contract
USL side
Senior side
$20 Million transfer fee

What about Gio? Not saying having a USL side for him to play on would get him to sign with the club before heading to Europe, but it’s more of a chance than having no facility in place save for the NYCFC First Team.

We may have the best crop of academy players out there, because we started everybody out on the City Way, but it’s cutting off our nose to spite our face because who cares about the prospects if they rot on the bench unused????

The guy that made the initial decision to hold off on starting a USL team should be fired.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
What about Gio? Not saying having a USL side for him to play on would get him to sign with the club before heading to Europe, but it’s more of a chance than having no facility in place save for the NYCFC First Team.

We may have the best crop of academy players out there, because we started everybody out on the City Way, but it’s cutting off our nose to spite our face because who cares about the prospects if they rot on the bench unused????

The guy that made the initial decision to hold off on starting a USL team should be fired.

I wonder if you just called for Claudio’s head?

Reactions: Kjbert
I wonder if you just called for Claudio’s head?
If Claudio was the one that decided against a USL side to develop our best academy players *and* which “created” an unfavorable situation to sign/develop Gio, then yeah, he should be fired.

We have HG players stagnating. That’s Scally and Sands, and they aren’t even the crown jewel. Let’s face it, putting money aside, the place Gio goes is where he can expect the Best Development -not necessarily where he can get immediate 1st team action- and his home club can’t offer it.

And this is all to say that it’s a critical misstep to stagnate future earnings - we need to either develop the academy players to join the first team or be transferred out for roster-shaping GAM. Neither of our two HG’s would come close to what Vancouver is now getting.

Reactions: adam
I give the ATL front office (Bocanegra) big props for slamming that little punk to the curb. Boca knows what Harkes did to the USMNT and he’s not putting up with it.

I just wish the little shit would’ve waited until after the transfer window closed to make his advances.
giphy.gif

Couldn’t resist. Will leave the John Terry gif for someone else.

If we had a time machine, you would go back and start the Academy before the senior side launched. LAFC and Atlanta did that. That's what we should have done.

Sands and Scally are getting paid and their family made the right decision in their eyes. But you can't tell me their development isn't stunted. Sands specifically needs to be playing against men right now. Playing in a U-19 Final is great and all, but he needs to be going up against the Sean Okolis of the world in USL matches once a week.

eh id say pick someone else aside from Sean Okoli, that dude was struggling in second division in Sweden

CFG wont pay transfer fees, what makes you think they will buy up all the youth teams in the region. Though with LAFC i think they kinda sorta just got the remains of the old Chivas USA network, at least i think i read somewhere in some LAFC blog

Rumor that an MLS team is willing to let a 19-year-old, $15m attacker go for cheap. Can't confirm which one though.

lmao really? id believe when i see it, i kinda want hm to stay, may help us in CCL spot

It’s not like he’s been very good. So whatever.

He has not matched the hype but I was giving him benefit of doubt and felt after all star game (getting used to league and what not) he would of gotten to his level and help them in that final push/playoffs

Twitter rumors keep saying he going to vasco da gama but we will see

now, I'm fairly young and don't have much knowledge of the USMNT's past... What did Harkes do?

Gio follows two clubs on Twitter. NYCFC and.........................Dortmund.

He's not even signing with us. We're not getting a transfer fee. He's signing his first contract with that German team and before being 18 because he's got a Portuguese passport.

If Claudio was the one that decided against a USL side to develop our best academy players *and* which “created” an unfavorable situation to sign/develop Gio, then yeah, he should be fired.

We have HG players stagnating. That’s Scally and Sands, and they aren’t even the crown jewel. Let’s face it, putting money aside, the place Gio goes is where he can expect the Best Development -not necessarily where he can get immediate 1st team action- and his home club can’t offer it.

And this is all to say that it’s a critical misstep to stagnate future earnings - we need to either develop the academy players to join the first team or be transferred out for roster-shaping GAM. Neither of our two HG’s would come close to what Vancouver is now getting.

The Davies to Gio comparison is better if Gio had a place to play right now for us. Vancouver moved Davies through starting when he was 15 (Gio's current age).

It's obvious our organization isn't going to play 15-17 year olds.

And setting up a USL squad is a tall order. Like a $25 million investment.

Reactions: adam
Gio follows two clubs on Twitter. NYCFC and.........................Dortmund.

He's not even signing with us. We're not getting a transfer fee. He's signing his first contract with that German team and before being 18 because he's got a Portuguese passport.
Yes, we all know where he’s going and yes we didn’t have a shot.