2018 Roster Discussion

Why are we trying to move Maxi around the pitch when he's simply not earning his salary? Why are we trying to accommodate him?

He's a league average #10 and he was poor as a LW.

And moving Ring out of the lineup? He was our most important player. Are you fucking kidding me?

Why are we trying to move Maxi around the pitch when he's simply not earning his salary? Why are we trying to accommodate him?

And moving Ring out of the lineup? He was our most important player. Are you fucking kidding me?
Agree that he's been disappointing, but not as much as you lead on. He's not a goal-scorer, and this last year we needed him to be. I think if we get a legit goal-scoring DP LW, Maxi will be a more than capable #10. No, not a Valeri or a Piatti, but DP-level. Sure we can do better, but its what we have now.

Agree that he was poor at LW but I will note that he played there one game. How much better can he be there with sufficient training time and playing time at that position? I don't have the answer and feel his better spot is at the #10, but just wanted to remind that note.

Yeah, don't get the moving Ring out of the lineup point either.

Discussing where to put him on the roster is perfectly valid. He's going to be on the team next year regardless of how you value you him. I would wager that if he is protected during the expansion draft, there's 100% likelihood that he is a core part of our roster.

A one game sample size in a position (edit soup beat me to the point) that he didn't train all year for is not great indicator or whether he would be effective or not next year. He's quick, he can pass and cross, he can press defend from the front. Checks off a lot of boxes of how we utilize a wing.

Maybe backup is the wrong word. We need a TAM winger and a TAM CM that are talented enough to force PV into a choice each week. The competition would be good for Jack/Wallace and it doesn't seem like it would be bad to have a bit of a rotation after both appeared to wear down over the season. Same goes for Herrera/Ring with an added bonus of not having our on field talent fall of a cliff every time they get called up internationally. Between call ups, suspensions and injuries 4 starter level CMs are a minimum. If we don't sign a starter level CM and Wing we are going to be watching TMac 8-12 times a season every time one of the guys goes out or PV decides he's unhappy with them and wants to bench them for a game to send a message.
Lol at PV playing the best players.

Maxi is not quick. Maybe it's his small legs, but he is woefully unprepared for this league physically.

And he is not a DP level #10. Watch this game right now. Victor Vazquez is a TAM player. Nico Lodeiro is a DP.

Maxi is neither. We've gone through this exercise. We came up with 10 guys at the position better than him.

Reactions: adam
Maxi is not quick. Maybe it's his small legs, but he is woefully unprepared for this league physically.

And he is not a DP level #10. Watch this game right now. Victor Vazquez is a TAM player. Nico Lodeiro is a DP.

Maxi is neither. We've gone through this exercise. We came up with 10 guys at the position better than him.
If you think that Lodeiro gave a DP performance, I would question your credibility to evaluate talent. You have an opinion about Maxi that is shared by the cliche on this forum, but we should also be able to discuss realistic roster possibilities in this thread without you trying to shut down discussion every time Maxi's name is mention. It's really annoying.

If you think that Lodeiro gave a DP performance, I would question your credibility to evaluate talent. You have an opinion about Maxi that is shared by the cliche on this forum, but we should also be able to discuss realistic roster possibilities in this thread without you trying to shut down discussion every time Maxi's name is mention. It's really annoying.

Nico STUNK today. He's a better player when he's not competing for the same space that Dempsey occupies.

Maxi is better with the ball, but less incisive.

It's a weird thing - I do see high level qualities from him, but I also see a massive lack of end product.

I'm okay with seeing how it goes next year. We at least know Maxi is a two way player who doesn't kill us on the pitch

Nico STUNK today. He's a better player when he's not competing for the same space that Dempsey occupies.
Nico was terrible. Bruin was the worst. They all sucked, in large part because they shit the bed tactically by doing the only thing you could possibly do to make Bradley look semi competent.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
With the new roster rules, we can theoretically have an XI of over 500k players, with three of those being uncapped dps.
Does that put us on par, salary wise, with LigaMX?

Reactions: Kjbert
With the new roster rules, we can theoretically have an XI of over 500k players, with three of those being uncapped dps.
Does that put us on par, salary wise, with LigaMX?
My completely baseless opinion (I really don't know much about LigaMX) is that we should be better.

But it all depends on how we spend that money. If we fill our rosters full of over 500k guys like Alejandro Bedoya, then no.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Another thing about Maxi that is pretty crazy is he can play 2x a week pretty easily. For his age, how much he runs and his defensive shift, that's pretty impressive. I think it's one of those things that has fallen under the radar in evaluating PV's moves and predicting them -- his system does ask a lot defensively from attacking players which has to be one of the big components of the overall skillset of the guys we're after.

Also, Brillant to DCU for GAM and an int'l spot.