2018 Roster Discussion

Yes. No contract, so he could go where he wanted, but to stay in MLS, he was ours.

Some of what happens in these situations is the player wants a different situation and the Club's decision to decline the option is part of working to accommodate him. Probably not entirely the case with Brillant, but he likely wants to be a starter somewhere, and we are no longer in a position to pay him starter's money. I bet we helped shop him around and find the right spot.
Thanks for the explanation. And good for him. I'm glad it was his choice.

Reactions: Kjbert
After we refused his option, was he free to leave MLS if he so desired? Or did MLS still have an option to keep him here regardless. In other words, was our ability to trade him subject to his willingness to stay?
I think even if we declined his option, since he didn't qualify for free agency, all we had to do if offer him a contract to retain his mls rights. We had to do the same thing with Portland when we signed Rodney last offseason.

Assuming LAFC does the expansion draft the same way Atlanta and Minnesota did, they left Chanot exposed because LAFC has no interest in taking on a high-contract international player in the expansion draft -- they're going to use it for organizational depth and trade bait. They probably exposed him because he has a much smaller chance of being picked than a guy like Sweat, who has a small salary and doesn't take an international spot.

Surely, Chanot could get picked, but odds are LAFC is going to pick guys they can use for trades/organizational depth. Take a look at last season's exposed list, then look at who was actually selected. No one of any import was actually selected.

Assuming LAFC does the expansion draft the same way Atlanta and Minnesota did, they left Chanot exposed because LAFC has no interest in taking on a high-contract international player in the expansion draft -- they're going to use it for organizational depth and trade bait. They probably exposed him because he has a much smaller chance of being picked than a guy like Sweat, who has a small salary and doesn't take an international spot.

Surely, Chanot could get picked, but odds are LAFC is going to pick guys they can use for trades/organizational depth. Take a look at last season's exposed list, then look at who was actually selected. No one of any import was actually selected.

Pretty sure people would want chanot and trade with LA for him

Any thoughts on Tim Cahill joining the club? He’s now linked to an MLS club and has a house in New York.

Hmm. I don't know about that. He's a quality player, and even with the injury last year he'd be a hell of a building block.

Hmm. I don't know about that. He's a quality player, and even with the injury last year he'd be a hell of a building block.

I could very well be wrong, but look at who was available last year and who was selected. If LAFC takes the expansion draft the way ATL and MNUFC did, Chanot won't be selected.

Could Chanot’s injury be a lingering concern? Didn’t seem like a long term ailment. But it became a season killer.

Surprised the bigger discussion around here isn't surrounding the fact that Shelton is not protected. Hopefully LAFC has watched very little Shelton game tape and they talk themselves into Shelton being a former #2 MLS superdraft selection with high upside that just needs a change of scenery.

Surprised the bigger discussion around here isn't surrounding the fact that Shelton is not protected. Hopefully LAFC has watched very little Shelton game tape and they talk themselves into Shelton being a former #2 MLS superdraft selection with high upside that just needs a change of scenery.
Don’t think anyone seriously hopes he’ll get taken.

I would say ATL leaving Yamil Asad unprotected is at the same level of WTF? unless MLS cannot guarantee his loan being extended etc. so LAFC could be getting him nominally and then be unable to get him loaned to them?. Otherwise, why wouldn't you scoop up a guy like Asad, who gave ATL 7 goals/13 asssists for 150K, Intl spot be damned!

Deep teams are leaving a lot of valuable guys unprotected. For example, TOR is leaving Raheem Edwards, Beitashour and Drew Moor available.