2018 Roster Discussion

Assuming LAFC does the expansion draft the same way Atlanta and Minnesota did, they left Chanot exposed because LAFC has no interest in taking on a high-contract international player in the expansion draft -- they're going to use it for organizational depth and trade bait. They probably exposed him because he has a much smaller chance of being picked than a guy like Sweat, who has a small salary and doesn't take an international spot.

Surely, Chanot could get picked, but odds are LAFC is going to pick guys they can use for trades/organizational depth. Take a look at last season's exposed list, then look at who was actually selected. No one of any import was actually selected.
Also, there are only 5 picks this year since LAFC is starting alone.

But, it also seems a little risky since we just traded away our other starting-caliber CB.

Drew Moor is a free agent. No brainer for Toronto

Jack Harrison has graduated from GA

If we're going to leave a starter unprotected (itself a debatable strategy) it makes so much more sense for it to be Maxi than Chanot. There has to be more information we don't know (some kind of trade to ensure Chanot not picked, Chanot going to Europe, etc.).
Or Maxi, being a DP, has some sort of no trade clause in his contract and therefore has to be protected

Most surprising on the list for me was Marco Urena at SJ. Better country than club player, but he's only 27 and unless I'm blanking, was good enough not to land on that list.

Reactions: Kjbert
Assuming LAFC does the expansion draft the same way Atlanta and Minnesota did, they left Chanot exposed because LAFC has no interest in taking on a high-contract international player in the expansion draft -- they're going to use it for organizational depth and trade bait. They probably exposed him because he has a much smaller chance of being picked than a guy like Sweat, who has a small salary and doesn't take an international spot.

Surely, Chanot could get picked, but odds are LAFC is going to pick guys they can use for trades/organizational depth. Take a look at last season's exposed list, then look at who was actually selected. No one of any import was actually selected.
Further on this, LAFC does already have one CB after their trade for Walker Zimmerman.

Hypothetically, if Chanot isn't heading to Europe, and there isn't any deal in place between us and LAFC for them to not draft him, LAFC could potentially have a damn good starting CB combo right out of the gate.

If we're going to leave a starter unprotected (itself a debatable strategy) it makes so much more sense for it to be Maxi than Chanot. There has to be more information we don't know (some kind of trade to ensure Chanot not picked, Chanot going to Europe, etc.).
Maybe we are gambling that with the trade for Zimmerman, rumor that Chanot wants to go back to Europe, Chanot's injury, that LAFC passes. It's still a little alarming that we protected backups like Sweat and T-Mac over Chanot though.

Further on this, LAFC does already have one CB after their trade for Walker Zimmerman.

Hypothetically, if Chanot isn't heading to Europe, and there isn't any deal in place between us and LAFC for them to not draft him, LAFC could potentially have a damn good starting CB combo right out of the gate.
The top superdraft pick could also be Tomas Hilliard-Arce out of Stanford.

Alternate Theory:

Last year we used $1.2 Million of TAM on the contracts of Brillant, Ring and Chanot. Maybe Chanot makes a hell of a lot more money than we realize. In that case, he A) may be expendable at that salary or B) that large of a contract would never be assumed by LAFC. It's entirely possible he makes $800k a year in salary.

Maybe we are gambling that with the trade for Zimmerman, rumor that Chanot wants to go back to Europe, Chanot's injury, that LAFC passes. It's still a little alarming that we protected backups like Sweat and T-Mac over Chanot though.
Well I can definitely hear the argument for protecting a guy like Sweat over Chanot due to salary cap implications that its possible Sweat is more likely to be taken.

I absolutely don't get it for TMac

Could Chanot’s injury be a lingering concern? Didn’t seem like a long term ailment. But it became a season killer.
This was my thought, as well. We've seriously screwed up one abdominal injury and cost a kid his career. I'd be pretty devastated if this happened to Chanot too.

Reactions: Ulrich and JayH
Alternate Theory:

Last year we used $1.2 Million of TAM on the contracts of Brillant, Ring and Chanot. Maybe Chanot makes a hell of a lot more money than we realize. In that case, he A) may be expendable at that salary or B) that large of a contract would never be assumed by LAFC. It's entirely possible he makes $800k a year in salary.
But if Chanot was expendable at his salary, wouldn't we want to keep Brillant? Same way if we knew Chanot wanted to go back to Europe, why not get Brillant resigned? Losing the salary hit of Chanot would mean it's easier to carry Brillant's, plus he would be the starter.

And the posted salary for Chanot was 350,000

Well I can definitely hear the argument for protecting a guy like Sweat over Chanot due to salary cap implications that its possible Sweat is more likely to be taken.

I absolutely don't get it for TMac
Tmac is a domestic who doesn't have a large salary, can play multiple positions in the midfield, and can pitch in some goals.

Yes, there is an argument that he may not play all those positions well, but I also think he could do better in a different system then what we have been employing the past year

But if Chanot was expendable at his salary, wouldn't we want to keep Brillant? Same way if we knew Chanot wanted to go back to Europe, why not get Brillant resigned? Losing the salary hit of Chanot would mean it's easier to carry Brillant's, plus he would be the starter.

Yes but we know TAM was used on him. Don't trust the MLS salary figures.

Reactions: adam

With the influx of additional TAM coming in, $350k doesn't seem like a lot for a starting CM. Now if you're gonna tell me the injury is still bothering him then I understand leaving him unprotected.