2018 Roster Discussion

Great work on this calculation. I think some of those TAM players will have lower salaries that will let us spend a bit more around on depth signings.

Based on your calculations, we can have a full DP/TAM lineup and throw in someone making $150K (say Herrera or Harrison).

And think Herrera already makes less than $150K and Harrison makes less than $200K (2017 reported figures) and both are already starters.

Plus, Lewis and Sands don't count against the cap.

I am going to shift this to its own thread.

Going to add one more thing here.

This increase in TAM is really going to fuck with rosters.

Think back to this past season. We saw a lot of new talent come onto a team that had finished 4th and figured we were pushing way ahead of the league - only to see that most teams had done the same thing. The talent level in the league is far above where it was when we started in 2015, and it is about to take another leap.

Our trio in midfield was excellent in 2017. Will that still be true in 2018? or will other teams go out and get their versions of Ring and Herrera? Are our excellent young players like Lewis and Harrison still going to seem as special in 2018 when veterans from Europe and S. America are all over other team's rosters?

I don't have a solid view on these things, but they are all possibilities. Some of the guys we really liked this past season may not be difference makers next year. I do believe that if we just trot out the same roster in 2018, we would be no better than a borderline playoff team.

The league is changing rapidly.

Think back to this past season. We saw a lot of new talent come onto a team that had finished 4th and figured we were pushing way ahead of the league - only to see that most teams had done the same thing. The talent level in the league is far above where it was when we started in 2015, and it is about to take another leap.

Our trio in midfield was excellent in 2017. Will that still be true in 2018? or will other teams go out and get their versions of Ring and Herrera? Are our excellent young players like Lewis and Harrison still going to seem as special in 2018 when veterans from Europe and S. America are all over other team's rosters?

I don't have a solid view on these things, but they are all possibilities. Some of the guys we really liked this past season may not be difference makers next year. I do believe that if we just trot out the same roster in 2018, we would be no better than a borderline playoff team.

Adding to this, with the influx of additional TAM, how do we now compare in terms of $ available to spend, with other leagues in the world?

As Gotham Gator Gotham Gator alluded to, the league is progressing rapidly. Players such as White and Struna may have appeared to be good enough this season(not stand out players) however when the league goes up a level they will seem out of their depth. Could include Brilliant in this as well.

Examples of this being RJ Allen who was good in 2016 but then poor in 2017 as the league improve in quality.

To me anyway it makes a lot of sense we released as many as we did, especially now seeing who we are bringing in.

this is true only to those teams wanting to spend....not everyone will. Still the likes of Toronto, Atlanta, will for sure. Maybe LAFC/ Galaxy? RB if they feel like spending can do this.

EDIT: If anyhting it will make it tiered ....those tops spenders fighting for top spots.....then those trying to but not enough cash to spend or willingness......then the rest

Yeah. Someone made a comment over the weekend to the effect that we should be as good or better next year and our only competition would be [I forget]. I didn't respond but I remember thinking how do you even have an opinion on that now? And that would be true even without the new TAM rules given the usual MLS roster turnover, and especially ours. With the new TAM, it's even more true as you lay out, and the base lines for good, better, best are all rising..

Reactions: Christopher Jee

This is also true, but not sure it will be to the extent you are talking.

For one, we did improve on last year, and were the 2nd best team in the league. Without the red card, where do we finish in the playoffs.

Also, just because the TAM is available, doesn't mean every team will be using it. This is TAM that the owners have to pay for, not that the league is providing. There are still teams in this league who only use 1 or 2 DP spots. And there are always misses on signings. Not every signing works out, or works out to be worth what cost against the salary cap.

And there is something to be said for continuity. I really don't want to replace half our starters every year, and then be frustrated when we start slowly and they don't mesh for a little while or players have to adjust to the league

Defender of the year in Sweden by the way for 2017

According to Transfermarkt, so a grain of salt here, he had 5G/8A in 27 matches this past season. And seems to have played every single minute.

It's fun trying to solve the formation puzzle with bits of incomplete information. Resigned our left wing back. Just (allegedly) signed a right wing back. Traded our back up center back, just before exposing our starting center back.

Matarrita is a top level LB in this league. On resume alone, Tinnerholm should be a top level RB in this league. Alex Ring is the best pure Defensive Midfielder in the league. David Villa is the best Striker in the league. At times in 2017, Sean Johnson was the best Goalkeeper in MLS. Callens developed into a first choice CB in MLS.

I think it's now no secret that the team will look for another CB, competition for Herrera, Maxi and Jack, and a replacement at LW.

can someone help me out on the technicalities here.....if nycfc didnt pick up his option how can we "trade" him? is it that we still "own" his rights in MLS at least?
I disagree with the responses you got to this and its more relevant now with Chanot a question mark.

NYCFC declined Brillant's option but made him a "bone fide offer" (essentially a pay cut contract). Because MLS agreed it was a bona fide offer NYCFC and Brillant were in contract negotiations and Brillant was considered an NYCFC player when DC made the trade offer. RJ and Ethan did not receive Bona Fide offers so the 'Thank You" videos went up right away.

Sounds like Chanot is pissed off he wasn't protected more than NYCFC trying to get rid of him. Management wants players on the list that LAFC wont take.

Reactions: Kjbert
I disagree with the responses you got to this and its more relevant now with Chanot a question mark.

NYCFC declined Brillant's option but made him a "bone fide offer" (essentially a pay cut contract). Because MLS agreed it was a bona fide offer NYCFC and Brillant were in contract negotiations and Brillant was considered an NYCFC player when DC made the trade offer. RJ and Ethan did not receive Bona Fide offers so the 'Thank You" videos went up right away.

Sounds like Chanot is pissed off he wasn't protected more than NYCFC trying to get rid of him. Management wants players on the list that LAFC wont take.

dont know about this...the rumors apparently swirling about going back to europe since our season ended....although i have not seen anything recent about this

Reactions: Sabo and Kjbert
Is Chanot out? On unprotected list and he unfollowed NYCFC and made his twitter private.
His Twitter has been private for a while now. Since some time this summer.

I'm gonna be upset to lose Chanot. If he wants to go back to Europe, nothing to do about that, but I hope not. I just really don't get the Brillant trade if the FO knew Chanot was also gone. If wouldn't be the first dumb thing they did of course, but I would hope they are learning

Reactions: Sabo and Kjbert