2018 Roster Discussion

Now I’m worried the club freaks out about our lack of CB depth and sticks us with Vincent Kompany as a DP to solve the ‘problem’. Only saving grace from that nightmare is I don’t think he would sell enough jerseys to make it tempting enough.

Reactions: Schwallacus
I am not worried about this. No way it was the kid’s decision. Almost certainly due to him not being ready for a bigger step up than Uruguay div 2 to 1, so he needs to gain some maturity. Is that in his play, off the field or both? Who knows?

I would bet that he was instructed to stay there given that we now have more money available to spend that wasn’t certain at the time of his purchase. I think you can bank on whatever we bring in being a player more ready to immediately contribute.

It could even be Feraresi makes the jump in the summer if he proves himself worthy. Then, he comes in as depth and has to fight for his place.

This is kind of a non-event that really shouldn’t raise anyone’s dander or eyebrows.

I am not worried about this. No way it was the kid’s decision. Almost certainly due to him not being ready for a bigger step up than Uruguay div 2 to 1, so he needs to gain some maturity. Is that in his play, off the field or both? Who knows?

I would bet that he was instructed to stay there given that we now have more money available to spend that wasn’t certain at the time of his purchase. I think you can bank on whatever we bring in being a player more ready to immediately contribute.

It could even be Feraresi makes the jump in the summer if he proves himself worthy. Then, he comes in as depth and has to fight for his place.

This is kind of a non-event that really shouldn’t raise anyone’s dander or eyebrows.
If Callens and Chanot are both back and healthy, this kid gets little playing time. Don't like the idea of kids just sitting on the bench like Lewis and Sands did last year. They need to play.

If Callens and Chanot are both back and healthy, this kid gets little playing time. Don't like the idea of kids just sitting on the bench like Lewis and Sands did last year. They need to play.
Agreed. Unless we were planning on moving to 3ATB, not a good idea for him to come here for his development.

That said, I don't think him not coming here is a tell-all sign that we aren't or won't consider moving to 3ATB.

Reactions: Kjbert
Are we in agreement that the need is 1 CB only?

Considering our only backup is Sweat, I’d like 2. But only one has to be a high end replacment level like Brillant. We can go the cheap route with the other.

Considering our only backup is Sweat, I’d like 2. But only one has to be a high end replacment level like Brillant. We can go the cheap route with the other.

They've made Sands a CB on the roster page. Are we comfortable with Sweat as CB4 and Sands as CB5?

Reactions: adam

This is a spot on interpretation of the situation. Was intending to post something along these lines too. He was slated to be our chief backup at CB, but with all the TAM sloshing around, we have the money to get another starter.

As we saw this past season, the first backup at each position is going to get real minutes. We need a really good CB to put into a Top 3 with Sweat and Callens, and that's assuming we stay with 2 at the back. This guy for Brillant seemed a good move - if only to free up cap space, but now that we are drowning in TAM, we should be able to go out and find another Chanot.

Are we in agreement that the need is 1 CB only?

I want 5, plus a guy who can play FB or CB. That basically means 2 more.

I think the YaYa stuff is the only bad info in that piece.

When was the last time Doyle or anyone that thinks Yaya is a good idea actually watched Yaya? Until this point I'd assumed the majority of the pro Yaya camp was filled with the typical EPL snobs that look down their noses at MLS and wrongly assume even completely washed up players like Yaya are better than most MLS players no matter how many Steven Gerrard's crash and burn. But Doyle should know better.

fuck doyle's analysis and predictions

Yeah, hell with Doyle. He only banged the drum for NYCFC most of the second half of the year.
(Of course he crapped on NYCFC all the year before and then ate his words as NYCFC not only made the playoffs and got the second seed - so maybe that is why he has changed his tune).

No matter all the “smarter than you” vibe doyle gives out all the time, but I think he does 1) really like the way NYCFC tries to play 2) likes PV and that PV coaches younger players and 3) freaking LOVES Herrera.

I’ll save my shit for that homer Kurt Larson.

Yeah, hell with Doyle. He only banged the drum for NYCFC most of the second half of the year.
(Of course he crapped on NYCFC all the year before and then ate his words as NYCFC not only made the playoffs and got the second seed - so maybe that is why he has changed his tune).

No matter all the “smarter than you” vibe doyle gives out all the time, but I think he does 1) really like the way NYCFC tries to play 2) likes PV and that PV coaches younger players and 3) freaking LOVES Herrera.

I’ll save my shit for that homer Kurt Larson.

i dont know how good his analysis is for other teams but many times he shits on us saying we are not making playoffs ( like you mentioned) and how we need player X and clearly not watching how we play. i feel like he only watches national tv games if that.

i was watching expansion draft for LAFC and i could of sworn he had "predictions" on who they will pick and i think he got none of them right

This is a spot on interpretation of the situation. Was intending

I want 5, plus a guy who can play FB or CB. That basically means 2 more.

Chanot
Callens
CB3
Sweat
Sands

You want another one on top of that?

i dont know how good his analysis is for other teams but many times he shits on us saying we are not making playoffs ( like you mentioned) and how we need player X and clearly not watching how we play. i feel like he only watches national tv games if that.

i was watching expansion draft for LAFC and i could of sworn he had "predictions" on who they will pick and i think he got none of them right

To be fair, if I only watched NYCFC’s nationally televised games, I’d think we were complete crap too.

To be fair, if I only watched NYCFC’s nationally televised games, I’d think we were complete crap too.

im sure he has access to MLS live if need be.

the only thing i would say is that he cant watch every game of every team but dont make generalizations

he does his weekly round up....you figure he would watch extended highlights of each game not just the two minute snippets ....unless his interns watch that and come up with all those graphs that he puts in those articles