2018 Roster Discussion

With the understanding the J. Medina will be a DP, given his age of 20 years old during the start of the MLS season he'd be considered a young DP at the 20 or younger age limit. Thus, his budget charge would be $150K rather than the closer to $500K a DP above the age of 24 is charged.

DPs should be starters and producers on the field. I want all DPs on this team to be 20 goals contributed players (combination of goals and assists). Can't say Medina is going to be that player right now. I hope he does turn out to be a Almiron level player.

Moreover, given we have extra cap space, what's the best use of it?

There were only 20 such players in the league last year and Atlanta had 4!

Reactions: Kjbert
If J. Medina is not a DP, I'm starting to think we're going to have the same problem that Pep has in Manchester. A lot of good players and needing to rotate roster in the front six.

Villa, Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, Medina, Moralez, Herrera, Ring, 3rd DP, etc., etc.

That's why it's so important to sign the right players who can play the City system. Rotate the roster, reduce minutes and potential injury over the course of the season, still keep the same performance of the team.

I don't have much of a problem with rotating the above players mentioned, and I really hope we do. What I do have a problem with is that PV will inevitably include #fatmessi in that rotation, and probably more than we'd hope for. If I see TMac on a wing again I will lose it. He's not a bad player, but I just don't see where he fits in here now. Anything north of CAM for him would be criminal.

Somebody queue up a PV clip about the competition for spots on the roster...I can hear it already

"That's a good problem to have for the club. I am really quite pleased that we have so many talented players competing in training to want to start in matches. And that is all I can ask as a manager. What I see from them everyday makes my decision harder but I really quite pleased."

"That's a good problem to have for the club. I am really quite pleased that we have so many talented players competing in training to want to start in matches. And that is all I can ask as a manager. What I see from them everyday makes my decision harder but I really quite pleased."

lol he would actually say something like that

I am really quite pleased with this content. Totally what PV would say.

Speaking of potentially losing players to WC duty, I added that to the little roster visual I made. NYCFC 2018 LINEUP.jpg

Reactions: Taurus
Speaking of potentially losing players to WC duty, I added that to the little roster visual I made. View attachment 7803
There will be international breaks besides the World Cup next year. Plus we have some yutes with national team duty. Do you think it makes sense to change WC to NT and mark all players we might miss due to NT duty?

There will be international breaks besides the World Cup next year. Plus we have some yutes with national team duty. Do you think it makes sense to change WC to NT and mark all players we might miss due to NT duty?
I think WC is a different monster because it's a long period of absence, even if MLS breaks for the group stages. I can start marking players NT our YNT, but that's almost our whole roster! It might be easier to label players NNT, not national team. Let's see:

NNT
Keeper: Stuver & Rawls.
D: Sweat, SAS
M: Awuah
F/W: every one of our damn forwards and wingers still plays for their NT or YNT!

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I think WC is a different monster because it's a long period of absence, even if MLS breaks for the group stages. I can start marking players NT our YNT, but that's almost our whole roster! It might be easier to label players NNT, not national team. Let's see:

NNT
Keeper: Stuver & Rawls.
D: Sweat, SAS
M: Awuah
F/W: every one of our damn forwards and wingers still plays for their NT or YNT!
YNT releases are not compulsory.

Reactions: LionNYC and adam
Speaking of potentially losing players to WC duty, I added that to the little roster visual I made. View attachment 7803
We haven't seen Callens called up in a while, but the form he was in last year, I think he's definitely deserving (though to caveat, I will add that I don't know a ton about Peru's CB quality).

I'd hate to lose Callens next year to international duty, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't rooting for him to make it to the WC for his country.

We haven't seen Callens called up in a while, but the form he was in last year, I think he's definitely deserving (though to caveat, I will add that I don't know a ton about Peru's CB quality).
I'd hate to lose Callens next year to international duty, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't rooting for him to make it to the WC for his country.
Based off of Twitter and Reddit he should be starting for Peru but he was in a shitty situation when he rejected a Copa America call up in favor of battling relegation with his old club.