2018 Roster Discussion

There is a legitimate discussion to be had that this isn't the year to wait until the summer to sign someone considering the World Cup

Expecting any big signings in the January window? I would imagine if they’re waiting for that then they’re paying a transfer fee?
I’m just hoping we’re not going into the season as we stand right now with the hopes of bringing people in during the summer window.
It’s been quiet lately.
Reminder that there was a lot of panic last year as well when we only had a few players signed, and it was unwarranted as they filled up the roster before the season started.

There is a legitimate discussion to be had that this isn't the year to wait until the summer to sign someone considering the World Cup
Or it is the time because great players who aren’t getting sufficient time to earn a place need a showcase.

It’s just a very case by case situation. As it always is, I guess.

Or it is the time because great players who aren’t getting sufficient time to earn a place need a showcase.

It’s just a very case by case situation. As it always is, I guess.

A player who plays in the world
Cup probably isn't available until when? August? September?

Also market prices sky rocket after major international tournaments. If we're eying a player who might be playing we need to get it done now.

Or maybe we've banking on the nations from the players we want to be terrible during the World Cup so prices actually drop.

That being said, when have we actually spent significant money on a transfer before, so what's the point of waiting now or then.

Reactions: Kjbert and Fake Jew
Also market prices sky rocket after major international tournaments. If we're eying a player who might be playing we need to get it done now.
However if your a player or that players club, do you want to sell/sign before the wc? In most cases, no.
Clubs are hoping to gain value after the wc.
Players the same, but also many prefer not to make any moves, disrupting their rhythm right before the Wc.

Reactions: adam and Fake Jew
When was the last time Doyle or anyone that thinks Yaya is a good idea actually watched Yaya? Until this point I'd assumed the majority of the pro Yaya camp was filled with the typical EPL snobs that look down their noses at MLS and wrongly assume even completely washed up players like Yaya are better than most MLS players no matter how many Steven Gerrard's crash and burn. But Doyle should know better.
If there was some way to motivate Toure (other than daily birthday cake delivery), I think he has the skills to actually be productive in the league. But a man that can't be motivated by Pep Guardiola is not motivatible (and yes, I know that's not a word).

If there was some way to motivate Toure (other than daily birthday cake delivery), I think he has the skills to actually be productive in the league. But a man that can't be motivated by Pep Guardiola is not motivatible (and yes, I know that's not a word).

We can make the argument that him playing at Yankee Stadium in the smaller field would be easier for him as it wouldn't require as much pace or stamina.

But let's not rationalize that signing Yaya Toure is a good thing. It isn't.

We can make the argument that him playing at Yankee Stadium in the smaller field would be easier for him as it wouldn't require as much pace or stamina.

But let's not rationalize that signing Yaya Toure is a good thing. It isn't.
I disagree, in the sense that Yaya can still play at a high level in MLS; I'd just hate him as a DP. I have no issue with him coming over as a non-DP, however.

A player who plays in the world
Cup probably isn't available until when? August? September?
Varies, depending on what round they get eliminated. If they're merely there for the group stage, last games (matchday 3) are on either 6/25 or 6/26, so we could probably get them back in the squad mid-July. However, if they are part of a country that makes it far into the knockout rounds, which are played early July, they may not come back until late July or early August.

This is presuming they didn't have, get, or aggravate an injury before or during their WC stay. If that happens, then who the hell knows.

Also, the team may give said player(s) an extra week or two break due to all the travelling if they're smart. Late July would be the best bet looking ahead to get someone back from the WC assuming they don't get hurt.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Varies, depending on what round they get eliminated. If they're merely there for the group stage, last games (matchday 3) are on either 6/25 or 6/26, so we could probably get them back in the squad mid-July. However, if they are part of a country that makes it far into the knockout rounds, which are played early July, they may not come back until late July or early August.

This is presuming they didn't have, get, or aggravate an injury before or during their WC stay. If that happens, then who the hell knows.

Also, the team may give said player(s) an extra week or two break due to all the travelling if they're smart. Late July would be the best bet looking ahead to get someone back from the WC assuming they don't get hurt.

If that’s the case, it would sure be nice to know if we’re playing for an aggregate points title or just loading up for a playoff run in the summer.