2018 Roster Discussion

is sands really a CB? anytime he played with us it was that DM role not CB

That’s his position on the U17s. We played him at CDM preseason and he looked good in it. That’s where he subbed in at as well. I could see him backing up both positions, he’d get more minutes that way, especially if he’s CB #4.

Reactions: Kjbert
That’s his position on the U17s. We played him at CDM preseason and he looked good in it. That’s where he subbed in at as well. I could see him backing up both positions, he’d get more minutes that way, especially if he’s CB #4.

right but i dont know if PV sees him as a CB though even though he has experience there. pre season will be a better indicator and if we dont get any more CB's then yes he will be counted as one.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
right but i dont know if PV sees him as a CB though even though he has experience there. pre season will be a better indicator and if we dont get any more CB's then yes he will be counted as one.

They list him as a CB on the roster. No reason he can't deputize at CB and CM. He could do what Sweat and Lopez did.

They list him as a CB on the roster. No reason he can't deputize at CB and CM. He could do what Sweat and Lopez did.

i still see him as back up like sweat but not a CB first, again we shall see how pre season goes and if we get another CB will answer questions not based on lists

i still want another CB in case of injuries/ suspension etc or the CB 3 you were saying. unless you meant someone else there

Yes if we stay 4 ATB which is likely with our current midfield. might need a second if we go 3/5 ATB
This is where I am. I’m ok with him being CB #5 if we are playing 4 ATB. I’m just not comfortable yet that he has the body to play as a CB in this league and I prefer him as a backup DM.

If we plan on playing 3 ATB however, need another

Chanot
Callens
CB3
Sweat
Sands

You want another one on top of that?

Well, I want 5, plus a utility guy who can play CB and fullback (or CDM, I suppose). That list includes 3 dedicated CBs and 2 guys who play other positions to some extent (neither of whom were primarily CBs in 2017). So, yes, I think we need another one on top of that list.

Look at it this way. Let's assume a roster of 27 players. That means you have 24 outfield players. How does that break down? I think 5 CBs plus a utility guy makes sense when you run the numbers. I also think you are dealing with 3 really good players, another just a notch below that, and 2 guys who are league minimum types.

This is where I am. I’m ok with him being CB #5 if we are playing 4 ATB. I’m just not comfortable yet that he has the body to play as a CB in this league and I prefer him as a backup DM.

If we plan on playing 3 ATB however, need another
We always have the option of picking some up else up during the summer window as well.

Or drafting one
I've been waiting for some Generation Adidas news and rumors and draft articles forever.
giphy.gif

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
When was the last time Doyle or anyone that thinks Yaya is a good idea actually watched Yaya? Until this point I'd assumed the majority of the pro Yaya camp was filled with the typical EPL snobs that look down their noses at MLS and wrongly assume even completely washed up players like Yaya are better than most MLS players no matter how many Steven Gerrard's crash and burn. But Doyle should know better.

I don’t think Doyle thinks it’s a good idea. I think he’s trolling us.

Yes he is. He's also 3 years older. Is Sands where Glaad was 2-3 years ago? How do we find out?
I don’t see how this is even close. Kind of agree with you that you can’t know.

Doing some weird balance of age and experience and potential, I think Sands has a better range of passing than Glad. I don’t expect James will grow into a physical CB presence, and I think his best qualities would be wasted in a back 2 unless it was for an absolutely dominant team.

I don’t think Doyle thinks it’s a good idea. I think he’s trolling us.

I don’t see how this is even close. Kind of agree with you that you can’t know.

Doing some weird balance of age and experience and potential, I think Sands has a better range of passing than Glad. I don’t expect James will grow into a physical CB presence, and I think his best qualities would be wasted in a back 2 unless it was for an absolutely dominant team.
If we go 3 ATB, he projects out to RCB?

Expecting any big signings in the January window? I would imagine if they’re waiting for that then they’re paying a transfer fee?
I’m just hoping we’re not going into the season as we stand right now with the hopes of bringing people in during the summer window.
It’s been quiet lately.

Expecting any big signings in the January window? I would imagine if they’re waiting for that then they’re paying a transfer fee?
I’m just hoping we’re not going into the season as we stand right now with the hopes of bringing people in during the summer window.
It’s been quiet lately.
For what it's worth, which may not be much seeing as how we've only had two previous off-seasons to go by, we've made big-ish signings late in the window. Again, hard to predict trends based on only two cases but just thought I'd mention it.