2018 Roster Discussion

I would like to know when roxfontaine and The Third Rail will adopt "Africa" as a song of theirs during matches.

I'm sick of hearing f*cking Hey Baby. If I never hear that song again, I will bless the rains. Africa would be a unique addition to our gameday ritual and there's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do to change my mind on this.

I would like to know when roxfontaine and The Third Rail will adopt "Africa" as a song of theirs during matches.

I'm sick of hearing f*cking Hey Baby. If I never hear that song again, I will bless the rains. Africa would be a unique addition to our gameday ritual and there's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do to change my mind on this.

I've thought about this as well. I think that the chant from the Dark Knight Rises would be pretty cool to start the game with. An example of what I thought about was from this link from the beginning to about 40 seconds.

https://www.ad.nl/transfer-talk/tt-sheffield-wednesday-wil-pelupessy-eneacute-n-nelom~a1d7ab55/

Now his team is negotiating with Sheffield Wednesday.

Come on Claudio, get him here.

Honestly, do we use our TAM to get him here or trade up in the SuperDraft.

We're still going to need 2-3 more International Roster slots or green cards from players. Come on Villa and Chanot, get your approvals.
Reports are saying Pelupessy turned down the move. If that's the case time to move on, we want players who want to be here.

I've thought about this as well. I think that the chant from the Dark Knight Rises would be pretty cool to start the game with. An example of what I thought about was from this link from the beginning to about 40 seconds.

I am all for any chant that gets the crowd involved. I love the Icelandic Skol thing. That's not our thing and we shouldn't do it. But I love this stuff.

I want New York centric chants that involve more of the crowd. A lot of that is on the layout of the stadium itself but we have to be able to come up with something other than Hey Baby and New York is Blue and White.

Reactions: Shwafta and Ulrich

I have no idea what Bane is chanting but the rhythm is good for getting the energy levels up at the beginning of a match. Obviously make it NYC applicable.

The biggest obstacle would be figuring out who leads/follows with the chant since the masses in the stadium won’t understand the song for at least the first few games (or more). But holy hell, if the entire stadium did engage in a mass call/respond chant, it’d be extremely effective.

I don't think that's right -- the contract wouldn't have started until 2018, no matter when it's announced. Players are only paid in-season, so a contract being signed for next season shouldn't have any impact on the previous season's salary situation.
Yes, but the heart of what I am saying is still correct. You can't sign a DP, without a DP slot. There would have never been an official announcement otherwise. There's a reason why Jesus was announced on Jan. 1st.

Yes, but the heart of what I am saying is still correct. You can't sign a DP, without a DP slot. There would have never been an official announcement otherwise. There's a reason why Jesus was announced on Jan. 1st.

But my point is this: They could have announced it whenever, because the official contract doesn't start until Jan. 1. Baseball players who announce their signings in December don't start counting against the salary cap and roster rules until the start of the season. Teams in the NHL don't have to be salary cap-compliant until Opening Night. Pirlo's contract would have ended on Dec. 31, and Medina's contract wouldn't have started until Jan. 1. They never would have overlapped even if announced earlier.

Reactions: Sabo
But my point is this: They could have announced it whenever, because the official contract doesn't start until Jan. 1. Baseball players who announce their signings in December don't start counting against the salary cap and roster rules until the start of the season. Teams in the NHL don't have to be salary cap-compliant until Opening Night. Pirlo's contract would have ended on Dec. 31, and Medina's contract wouldn't have started until Jan. 1. They never would have overlapped even if announced earlier.
That's nice, but this is MLS. Teams don't put out press releases on team websites until they are officially allowed to make the signing. This is why everyone was so pissed at Lampardgate, because it was atypical to how MLS usually works. If teams want to announce things before they can officially, they do through unofficial channels like the press.

That's nice, but this is MLS. Teams don't put out press releases on team websites until they are officially allowed to make the signing. This is why everyone was so pissed at Lampardgate, because it was atypical to how MLS usually works. If teams want to announce things before they can officially, they do through unofficial channels like the press.

I think you're missing my point -- Pirlo's contract was for the 2017 season, Medina's contract was for the 2018 season. It doesn't matter when they announced it because the two contracts were for separate seasons.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Would be massive for MLS but terrible for NYCFC. He'd likely play less than 50 minutes in the entire tournament.
And high likelyhood of getting injured. Face it, this is WC, the highest level, unlike our league. Those defenders are far more skillful, nastier and stronger.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
And high likelyhood of getting injured. Face it, this is WC, the highest level, unlike our league. Those defenders are far more skillful, nastier and stronger.
It really depends on the team. I refuse to believe Iran's centreback Muhammed Ansari is stronger than Sjoberg.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Speaking of which, Colorado is looking to sell/trade Sjoberg. Traded in 2015, Best XI defender in 2016, now on the trade block.

MLS is improving at a rapid pace.
I would love it if we brought in Sjoberg. But that's really mostly due to him being an alum from my alma mater.

I think you're missing my point -- Pirlo's contract was for the 2017 season, Medina's contract was for the 2018 season. It doesn't matter when they announced it because the two contracts were for separate seasons.
We can talk circularly all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that MLS doesn't officially announce transactions before they can be made. The only DPs officially announced in 2017 for the 2018 were LAFCs DPs because they had the open slot.

RedBulls committing to spending $10 Million+ on transfer fees this season per Twitterati

234 been singing Africa already... along with Justin Bieber. :tearsofjoy: Goodfella