2018 Roster Discussion

man how different team looks after few months ...team looks very different even though good amount of players still there.

we have like 5 picks today i assume we keep at most 2 for squad

I'm amazed at the 2016-2018 transition. 17 of our 23 players have been acquired in the last 2 seasons. PV & Reyna completely overhauled this team after PV's first season. I would love to know what was discussed that first off-season after being bounced by TOR. They must have seen how slow & exposed our midfield was (like the rest of us), I midfield now is the youngest part of our team.

Reactions: Kjbert
Nice work.

Yeah, my main concern is that our starting midfield 3 is probably still Herrera, Maxi and Ring. In a year where there's so much TAM floating around, I would expect our rivals to improve.

The upside is we didn't really see those 3 together that often last season. And when they were, we were pretty dominant as a team. Add to that the the pieces around them have improved at RB, LB, and LW. I think we all believe we can improve our DP over Maxi, but I'm starting to feel he fits the system and we'll score from other areas. No MLS team is perfect. And if this doesn't work, then there's always 2019...

Reactions: SoupInNYC
One of the most impressive parts of Berget's game is the way he's always looking to be played through and behind the defense. We missed a lot of that creativity when Ugo would come on. We're starting to look like we're going to be a real problem with these signings.

The upside is we didn't really see those 3 together that often last season. And when they were, we were pretty dominant as a team. Add to that the the pieces around them have improved at RB, LB, and LW. I think we all believe we can improve our DP over Maxi, but I'm starting to feel he fits the system and we'll score from other areas. No MLS team is perfect. And if this doesn't work, then there's always 2019...
Yeah, just feels like staying still is moving backwards at this point.

On the flip side, Herrera, Sands and Awuah will be more developed, and we probably won't see much decline from Maxi or Ring yet, if any.

Yeah, just feels like staying still is moving backwards at this point.

On the flip side, Herrera, Sands and Awuah will be more developed, and we probably won't see much decline from Maxi or Ring yet, if any.

Last year we started with Maxi, Pirlo, Ring. Which could morph into Tummy, Pirlo, Ring or Maxi, Pirlo, Mikey (dear god). Now we're starting with Maxi, Yangel, Ring. With Tajouri & Sands coming on. And hopefully one more good sub signing.

Also, don't discount chemistry. There's something to be said about having all 3 of our Mids who've played together for a season. Or, that our whole Starting Spine is also intact from GK, CBs, all 3 Mids, ST. We upgraded the backs and a winger. Should mean less teaching this season, and more coaching. Players not thinking as much. It's exciting.

Last year we started with Maxi, Pirlo, Ring. Which could morph into Tummy, Pirlo, Ring or Maxi, Pirlo, Mikey (dear god). Now we're starting with Maxi, Yangel, Ring. With Tajouri & Sands coming on. And hopefully one more good sub signing.

Also, don't discount chemistry. There's something to be said about having all 3 of our Mids who've played together for a season. Or, that our whole Starting Spine is also intact from GK, CBs, all 3 Mids, ST. We upgraded the backs and a winger. Should mean less teaching this season, and more coaching. Players not thinking as much. It's exciting.

You have to think this team is one of the favorites in MLS for the upcoming season. Look at all the improvements we've made -- and we were second in the league last year! I don't know if we're better than Toronto, but is it reasonable to say we're at least on level with them? I think it might be. If even half of these signings hit, this is going to be a damn good team.

I don't know how to link an old post (instead copied below), but can I kindly get some credit for this one :)

Jo Inge Berget's contract is up on December 31, he is a good fit for us as a goal-scoring striker/left wing, and he definitely has a beard.

JayH, Nov 7, 2017 Edit Delete Report
A signing that will definitely boost attendance numbers from select Manhattan and Brooklyn neighborhoods.
Holy hell Portland and Seattle fans are gonna be jealous!!! This dude probably looks like their neighborhood person behind the counter serving them coffee or bespoke donut.

Our moves have mostly been about depth, and not replacing starters. But, given that we almost never played with our first choice midfield and were missing our starting LB and best CB most of the year, depth is important.

Which positions are going to have a new starter for us this year? RB, LW, maybe CB. I think that's it.

So, the gambit is that better depth means we will have overall a better team start to finish.

Updated again. I think Rawls needs to be looking around for another job. If so, we only have 2 players left from our our inaugural season: Villa & Tummy. And we got even younger. Take Rawls out of the lineup and our average drops to 24.6.

NYCFC 2018 LINEUP.jpg

As I just said in the shoutbox, we really need to start chanting "QUITE REALLY PLEASED" when something good happens. If it's good enough for our coach, it's good enough for us!

Reactions: canchon
As I just said in the shoutbox, we really need to start chanting "QUITE REALLY PLEASED" when something good happens. If it's good enough for our coach, it's good enough for us!

That should be the phrase on the collar for this year's kits.

Nice work.

Yeah, my main concern is that our starting midfield 3 is probably still Herrera, Maxi and Ring. In a year where there's so much TAM floating around, I would expect our rivals to improve.

What's your concern exactly? Even though I don't love Maxi and Herrera as a midfield pair stylistically, this is one of the more talented trios in the league. Pick up a starting-caliber 6 for rotation purposes and press-heavy matchups and this roster is hard to argue with.

Last edited:
Reactions: sundance
After today’s Scandinavian signing, the pieces are falling into place to play either a 2-6-2 or a 2-5-3, and I’m not kidding. The 2 is a bit misleading, because I see Ring being a hybrid DMid/Sweeper who drops between Callens and Chanot(?) on D and links on O, so there is cover, and the wingbacks can also drop as needed but ideally would be pushing forward. Ring was already essentially doing just that last year, and he even filled in at CB when Callens took his Red.

—————-Villa—-DonutGuy/Jack—————
^——————Jesus/Jack————————^
Mata——-Maxi———-Hererra——Tinnerholm
-|———————-Ring——————————|
\/———Callens—-\/—-Chanot—————\/

———————-Johnson————————

Updated again. I think Rawls needs to be looking around for another job. If so, we only have 2 players left from our our inaugural season: Villa & Tummy. And we got even younger. Take Rawls out of the lineup and our average drops to 24.6.

View attachment 7890

wow rawls is 26 ? i thought he was bit younger