2018 Roster Discussion

I can understand why we went this direction despite not having a second striker option. The majority of our players going out on international duty are defenders and midfielders.
Can we do without villa? It’ll be tough but I think we’ll manage. Can we do without Herrera, Mata, Wallace and any other players called for int duty for an extended period of time? Much more difficult without the signings we’ve made (let’s pray they were correct).
What kind of break are we looking at for World Cup?

I can understand why we went this direction despite not having a second striker option. The majority of our players going out on international duty are defenders and midfielders.
Can we do without villa? It’ll be tough but I think we’ll manage. Can we do without Herrera, Mata, Wallace and any other players called for int duty for an extended period of time? Much more difficult without the signings we’ve made (let’s pray they were correct).
What kind of break are we looking at for World Cup?

MLS will only take 9 days off for the World Cup, only two group stage matches. If the USA qualified, this would have looked much different. So for NYCFC purposes, we are hoping for early exits by Sweden and Costa Rica.

Reactions: SanBartG and Kjbert
MLS will only take 9 days off for the World Cup, only two group stage matches. If the USA qualified, this would have looked much different. So for NYCFC purposes, we are hoping for early exits by Sweden and Costa Rica.

And Peru (Callens)

Reactions: SanBartG and Kjbert
Luckily none of these countries will go far?
Not always popular with fans, but my view is WC experience would be more valuable in the long-run for us over the potential loss of 1-4 points in the regular season. Obviously, injuries possible, still take the risk for development.

Not always popular with fans, but my view is WC experience would be more valuable in the long-run for us over the potential loss of 1-4 points in the regular season. Obviously, injuries possible, still take the risk for development.
Also, it could be very valuable in terms of us being able to sell players for boatloads of GAM. I think this mostly applies to Matarrita and could perhaps apply to Tinnerholm. I get the feeling that even if he has a solid WC, Wallace won't be sought after all that much.

So are we rooting for Villa to somehow make the World Cup squad or nah?

I hope he makes it, but it would suck if he missed a bunch of NYCFC games to sit on the bench

Reactions: SoupInNYC

I hope he makes it, but it would suck if he missed a bunch of NYCFC games to sit on the bench
Villa making the World Cup squad I'd love. We might be losing our best player but if an MLS player gets called up by a country like Spain for the World Cup it changes the league forever.

Villa making the World Cup squad I'd love. We might be losing our best player but if an MLS player gets called up by a country like Spain for the World Cup it changes the league forever.
giphy.gif

Would be massive for MLS but terrible for NYCFC. He'd likely play less than 50 minutes in the entire tournament.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

I wonder if Ciman will get called up again for Belgium. He has started for them in the recent past, but I get the sense his play has dropped the last year or so.