2018 Roster Discussion

My guess is we'd be offering something more like Lewis + McNamara + extras.

Don't touch my JLew.

giphy.gif

Reporter: “Patrick, what do you think of RSL’s Rusnak?”

PV: “I’m quite really pleased with the play of Rusnak, he is a dynamic player and I enjoyed coaching him at Man City academy.”

Reporter: *runs off to write article about PV trading for Rusnak*

What's why we need to decipher the difference between QRP and RQP.

Herrera is on loan. A good way to scare off future young MCFC signings to be loaned to NYCFC is to send one to Salt Lake City.

Sure, but he'd still be on loan from MCFC even if he moved. On the one hand, yeah, he's probably not itching to live in Utah. On the other, he'll want to leave MLS pretty soon, so he's got to play wherever he can maximize his value right now. If Vieira were to give any kind of signal that Herrera's minutes might take a hit this year, all parties would want to look for a trade.

Last edited:
As long as it doesn't end up QPR.

Well wouldn't that end up something like...

MLS Cup, it's the 94th minute...

VILLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!....................I SWEAR YOU'LL NEVER SEE SOMETHING LIKE THIS EVER AGAIN. WATCH IT. DRINK IT IN....THEY'VE JUST HEARD THE NEWS IN NEW JERSEY....TWO GOALS IN ADDED TIME TO SNATCH THE TITLE AWAY FROM (Western Conference Team).

Man City is not sending Herrera to RSL. That's silly guys. Stop.

Rusnak had better production than Maxi inn 2017.

RSL is not taking on Maxi's contract.

Lewis is a backup o this team for the foreseeable future. He may not eve have a future with this club. He's expendable. Ad you expend him while he still has value. If he doesn't play this year again, he may ot have any value.

Man City is not sending Herrera to RSL. That's silly guys. Stop.

Rusnak had better production than Maxi inn 2017.

RSL is not taking on Maxi's contract.

Lewis is a backup o this team for the foreseeable future. He may not eve have a future with this club. He's expendable. Ad you expend him while he still has value. If he doesn't play this year again, he may ot have any value.

To be clear here: You're absolutely right, Herrera's not going to RSL. And Rusnak's not coming to NYCFC. The question was just about what it would take for a hypothetical deal to be within the realm of possibility.

On Maxi vs. Rusnak:

Offensively they're pretty comparable. Rusnak had a slight edge in xG/96, Maxi beat him in xA (even though Rusnak had significantly more key passes, which is interesting—Maxi only set up great shots I guess). Maxi's xBuildup numbers are just slightly better. Of course you can argue from conventional stats that Rusnak had more goals and assists, but advanced stats are more repeatable. If you're making predictions about how many goals they'll create for their teams this year, it's a wash.

The big difference is in possession and defense. Last year Maxi completed 59.3 passes/90 to Rusnak's 41.4. Even accounting for NYCFC's better team possession, that's a huge difference. It wasn't just short passes either—Maxi played a lot more long balls. Their completion rates were about the same, so Maxi's not necessarily a better passer but he's definitely working harder to control the game. That's valuable. And defensively it's no contest. Maxi's tackles and interceptions are more than double Rusnak's, which further helps NYCFC dominate the ball.

So you've got two guys doing about the same job creating goals, but one of them is also bossing the midfield and busting his ass off the ball. I'm glad I've got that guy on my team.

Last edited:
To be clear here: You're absolutely right, Herrera's not going to RSL. And Rusnak's not coming to NYCFC. The question was just about what it would take for a hypothetical deal to be within the realm of possibility.

On Maxi vs. Rusnak:

Offensively they're pretty comparable. Rusnak had a slight edge in xG/96, Maxi beat him in xA (even though Rusnak had significantly more key passes, which is interesting—Maxi only set up great shots I guess). Maxi's xBuildup numbers are just slightly better. Of course you can argue from conventional stats that Rusnak had more goals and assists, but advanced stats are more repeatable. If you're making predictions about how many goals they'll create for their teams this year, it's a wash.

The big difference is in possession and defense. Last year Maxi completed 59.3 passes/90 to Rusnak's 41.4. Even accounting for NYCFC's better team possession, that's a huge difference. It wasn't just short passes either—Maxi played a lot more long balls. Their completion rates were about the same, so Maxi's not necessarily a better passer but he's definitely working harder to control the game. That's valuable. And defensively it's no contest. Maxi's tackles and interceptions are more than double Rusnak's, which further helps NYCFC dominate the ball.

So you've got two guys doing about the same job creating goals, but one of them is also bossing the midfield and busting his ass off the ball. I'm glad I've got that guy on my team.

If we are talking for one season, sure. This season Maxi will probably be equal to Rusnak overall. I think the reason that most of us really want Rusnak is because of age. Dude is only 23 and is likely to be performing at a DP level for years to come, whereas Maxi is fringe DP right now and is not getting any younger.

Your stats are great but I also watched Maxi miss sitters, fall down when being breathed on and get outpaced constantly last year.

Nice complementary piece but shit as a DP2 for the team we strive to be.

Rusnak can be a game changer right now. Maxi already hit his ceiling.

I don't know why this is even an argument.