2018 Roster Discussion

Man City is not sending Herrera to RSL. That's silly guys. Stop.

Rusnak had better production than Maxi inn 2017.

RSL is not taking on Maxi's contract.

Lewis is a backup o this team for the foreseeable future. He may not eve have a future with this club. He's expendable. Ad you expend him while he still has value. If he doesn't play this year again, he may ot have any value.
If Lewis has absolutely no future on the team, then he’ll definitely play a good number of minutes this year in front of guys deemed better.

Can someone please explain the thought process behind the whole "Lewis has no future with this club" thing? I get that hes depth right now, but hes 20 and has shown a lot of promise. Hes already 10x better than fatmessi. Not being a starter will only make him better as he fights for the job.

I just cant see how anyone here can wite him off or toss him away as trade bait yet.

I can't figure out how to embed this, but watch this again and tell me he has no future here: https://www.clippituser.tv/c/xybnbp

ETA: Willian took like 4 tries to nail basically that same exact shot just the other day (okay maybe that's a stretch but so what. A thing of beauty).

ETA: Still not done - the best thing about that goal is he did it all on his own. From pretty close to the halfway line, past 3 defenders. A lot of games we end up with all the possession in the world in the opponents third but cant break through. That balance, dribbling, and set of balls to try it is exactly what we need, especially now with Jack gone.

Last edited:
Can someone please explain the thought process behind the whole "Lewis has no future with this club" thing? I get that hes depth right now, but hes 20 and has shown a lot of promise. Hes already 10x better than fatmessi. Not being a starter will only make him better as he fights for the job.

I just cant see how anyone here can wite him off or toss him away as trade bait yet.

I disagree with that line of thinking. Maybe a season of fighting, but beyond that, a lack of playing time greatly stunts a players development.

I disagree with that line of thinking. Maybe a season of fighting, but beyond that, a lack of playing time greatly stunts a players development.

Yeah, something in between Pulisic's stance and yours is probably the sweet spot. Competition for the starting role is good, but you need more game time than Lewis got last year. The fact that Jack looked completely gassed by halftime of most games around mid-season just pissed me off that much more. You've got some solid winger depth, PV. Use it this time.

Although some items have been said here, I don't think anyone is really saying that Lewis has no future with this club.

I think there are a couple of things:
  • Some people think (myself included) that we are way over-hyping Lewis based on limited minutes last year. Yes, he definitely impressed and definitely deserved more playing time last year. But I'm not ready to say that he is the club's future (different than saying he has no future here) or even to say that he should definitely be starting.
  • I think some of those thoughts were said in relation to the rumored attempted signing of Rusnak. I think most people would definitely include JLew in a trade if it resulted in bringing Rusnak here. That's a no-brainer.
I could be taking some people's comments out of context or perhaps misinterpreting them, but that's where I sit on this.

There's two questions here: Who is the player and what are we sending in return?

The first name that comes to mind is Tim Parker of Vancouver. That being said Goff is reporting of trade talks between Red Bulls and Vancouver for Parker.

So who does that leave? Hedges, Opara, Parkhurst, Marshall, Besler, Moor, Birnbaum.

Too old or too highly valued by their current team.

Maybe Maund of Vancouver or Glaad of RSL. Also floating Christian Dean of Chicago. Miles Robinson of Atlanta would be a name out of left field.

In return for a backup, young American CB for this team? McNamara would be too much. Maybe some GAM/TAM but we need to trade for international roster spots even if Chanot and Villa get their green cards with Ofori coming in, hopefully.
A little late but last year I heard NYCFC was interested in Robinson, don't know how far it went but that who I would have put my money on. Generation adidas and a non-international.

No idea if they're still interested though.

A little late but last year I heard NYCFC was interested in Robinson, don't know how far it went but that who I would have put my money on. Generation adidas and a non-international.

No idea if they're still interested though.

Atlanta needs a CB and defense in the middle for that matter, though Robinson has played 0 minutes for Atlanta and only made several appearances for Charleston Battery.

Lewis featured pretty heavily in the highlights. Any insight on what his shortcomings are supposed to be?

From what we can see in games it doesn't seem like a skill issue. Lewis is clearly super talented. Grasping at other things we have seen my bet is maturity, he's only 20 but in a lot of the videos he seems to act even younger. He often comes off as a giddy kid hanging out with a bunch of adults. The 3:38 mark of the behind the scenes video from the RSL game is also not a very reassuring sign regarding his current relationship with PV.

From what we can see in games it doesn't seem like a skill issue. Lewis is clearly super talented. Grasping at other things we have seen my bet is maturity, he's only 20 but in a lot of the videos he seems to act even younger. He often comes off as a giddy kid hanging out with a bunch of adults. The 3:38 mark of the behind the scenes video from the RSL game is also not a very reassuring sign regarding his current relationship with PV.

Yeah I noticed that too. After winning the penalty also.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yeah I noticed that too. After winning the penalty also.

Yeah, who knows what's going on, maybe it was nothing, could be he was mad he didn't take the penalty, had to play with the second unit, just general lack of playing time or current situation. But with what we know about PV from his time as a player and a coach sulking around because your unhappy about something is likely not helping a player earn his respect.

When a player's been hyped up to the extent that Lewis has after so few minutes on the field, that sounds like a great trade chip to me. Potential is always seductive, and we all want him to succeed, but out of everyone affiliated with NYCFC, we're the people who have seen him the least. If management know something about him that we (and other teams) don't, then I sure hope we take advantage of it.

(Fwiw, I think there's literally nothing to read into him not slapping five with Vieira on one particular video)

When a player's been hyped up to the extent that Lewis has after so few minutes on the field, that sounds like a great trade chip to me. Potential is always seductive, and we all want him to succeed, but out of everyone affiliated with NYCFC, we're the people who have seen him the least. If management know something about him that we (and other teams) don't, then I sure hope we take advantage of it.

(Fwiw, I think there's literally nothing to read into him not slapping five with Vieira on one particular video)
Potential? You talking about potential? I'm talking production. Kid has produced when given the chance .

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and Ulrich
Potential? You talking about potential? I'm talking production. Kid has produced when given the chance .

True, he's averaged a goal every other 90 minutes. And I'm saying if we got an offer that valued him as a player who will do that consistently then I'd snap their hand off. Clearly some people have been dazzled by his limited minutes, why not profit off it, let someone else take the risk?