2018 Roster Discussion

Eventually you have to play your kids. Why sign them? We know McNamara is limited. Ofori hasn't shown. Play sands. Give him a shot. The summer window hasn't opened yet. Give him a few games and line up some help in the interim.

And then put Herrera back on the books of Man City. Can't be paying him if he's done until September.

I have to agree, not just because he's Peruvian, but he's the kind of guy who has always been overlooked because of his height, but he's quite the bully inside the 18 and always performs and scores in bunches. Finally, after being the top scorer, or close to, in Liga MX for 2 years, he's getting some love. My suspicion would be SKC if they have a DP spot.

No way, why do we need this forward ? or any other forward? We signed the great Berget !!!!! #vieraout

Eventually you have to play your kids. Why sign them? We know McNamara is limited. Ofori hasn't shown. Play sands. Give him a shot. The summer window hasn't opened yet. Give him a few games and line up some help in the interim.

And then put Herrera back on the books of Man City. Can't be paying him if he's done until September.
The fact that TMac is even on the squad and getting minutes is malpractice. We picked him up in the expansion draft (from DC), which meant he wasn't a starting caliber/contributing player otherwise DC would have held on to him for his low salary value. That expansion draft was solely a method to stock our roster with players - it was not a mechanism to find quality; nobody taken in that draft should be on an MLS roster four season later. Four seasons is more than enough time to find replacements that push expansion draft players to the USL. Sands showed more hustle and grit last night than TMac did, and Sands is the type of player (Home grown) that needs minutes to improve since he has a much higher ceiling than TMac, and frankly, Sands' floor is already higher than TMac's.

For all the reasons above, Sands should be the replacement for Herrera, even over Ofori.

I'm no expert, but it certainly seems like Vieira has zero consistency with the type of midfielder he includes in his midfield three. It's become pretty predictable how we'll play just by looking at those spots. Yesterday I called the performance and scoreline based solely on the midfield. https://www.reddit.com/r/NYCFC/comments/8p552d/nycfc_lineup_vs_red_bulls_6_subs_including_2/e08immx/

Our play style seems to require a defensive mid and two box-to-box, or two defensive mids and a 10. It is clear that Ofori actually wants to play like a regista. It doesn't feel like he has the workrate to play the 8 nor the aggression to play the defensive 6. That means when Ofori is on the field, we need either two 8's or a 6 and an 8. No 10's. (I'd consider him a backup to Maxi.)

We have been giving minutes to a grand total of two acceptable players in the 8 or 6 slot: Ring and Herrera. With Herrera out, we need to give minutes to Sands and sign a new capable 6/8 this summer.

Another more radical option would be to start playing with inverted wingers. Tinnerholm is more than capable, and Sweat seems suited. Something like this for lineup:

F: Berget, Villa, Tajouri-Shardi
AM: Maxi, Medina
DM: Ring
D: Sweat, Callens, Chanot, Tinnerholm

This would hinge on one of Sweat or Tinnerholm always stepping into the middle of the pitch to play as a defensive mid. The attacking mids would interact heavily with the wingers and play sideline to sideline to maintain width, as the fullbacks wouldn't be bombing up the lines.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Another more radical option would be to start playing with inverted wingers. Tinnerholm is more than capable, and Sweat seems suited. Something like this for lineup:

F: Berget, Villa, Tajouri-Shardi
AM: Maxi, Medina
DM: Ring
D: Sweat, Callens, Chanot, Tinnerholm

This would hinge on one of Sweat or Tinnerholm always stepping into the middle of the pitch to play as a defensive mid. The attacking mids would interact heavily with the wingers and play sideline to sideline to maintain width, as the fullbacks wouldn't be bombing up the lines.

I've been advocating for this for 3 months. THREE FUCKING MONTHS.

Play on your front foot. For some reason , when we go to that balls to the wall 4-2-4 we look great.

For some reason , when we go to that balls to the wall 4-2-4 we look great.

I would disagree with this. I think we play best when we have defense-oriented players playing in forward positions. I think we have looked really bad at times when we try the over-simplistic method of throwing more numbers forward and they don't work together.

Our strong suit isn't actually maintaining possession in the attack. It's winning it back quickly when we lose possession. We look extremely average when we remove the players who do that from the pitch.

Thank God we have that TAM. Probably smart we hung onto it. Second year Herrera has had a long-term injury.
We better get Cap flexibility for his season ending injury. If he’s on loan, then let MCFC recall him and we’ll reassess next season.