2023 Leagues Cup

both he and busquets changed the game when they came on.
That's interesting. Missed the match. Just watched the 7 minute recap. The only plays they showed with Messi involvement were a blatant offside (that did show off his skill for a Martinez tap in) and the free kick at the end.

I would have thought MLS would want to feature everything he did.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
That's interesting. Missed the match. Just watched the 7 minute recap. The only plays they showed with Messi involvement were a blatant offside (that did show off his skill for a Martinez tap in) and the free kick at the end.

They might be trying to play nice with LMX and give equal weight. Without watching the 7 minutes, I would guess they show a few missed CA chances mostly from the first half, of course the CA goal, and then the other Miami goal, and maybe the Fray injury.

Leon - Vancouver shootout went 19 rounds

I'm pretty sure that's a Leagues Cup record. ;)
Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 1.22.56 PM.png

As best as I can tell, none of the games tonight affect NYCFC in MLS, affect NYCFC in Leagues Cup, or are likely to see Messi subbed in.

Any particular game have some other angle or player that might make it worthwhile?

As best as I can tell, none of the games tonight affect NYCFC in MLS, affect NYCFC in Leagues Cup, or are likely to see Messi subbed in.

Any particular game have some other angle or player that might make it worthwhile?

can always root for red bulls and philly to lose?

Indeed. It's been years since I've seen him run offside that much.

getting the opportunity to play with messi, busquets, alba and being reunited with a coach who knows you and won a championship with you... i bet he's in a happier place for sure. miami's offense is gonna be extra dangerous going forward. they just need to work on their defending.

They put up an every touch video.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Not gonna lie -- I didn't like this Cup idea wen it was first announced.

I was completely wrong. It has made the dog days of Summer in MLS incredibly fun and exciting.

Reactions: Revfugee
and the busquets to messi show continues.

crazy how two quality players + a rejuvenated josef have turned miami into instantly competitive and borderline good.

Last edited:
I'll be shocked if they lose another game all season

EDIT: except if they play on turf and Messi and friends don't play

Reactions: snugglefarts
I'll be shocked if they lose another game all season

EDIT: except if they play on turf and Messi and friends don't play

I honestly, unironically, literally agree with you. I truly believe that Inter Miami could win the Leagues Cup, the Open Cup and MLS cup. Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined myself saying that.

But seriously, who's going to stop them? He's just so much better than anyone else in the league. And for the basically every game for the rest of the season he'll be facing teams that have never faced him before. It's going to be a massacre.

And how many players is Inter Miami planning on signing? I think it's quite a few. I want to say that I heard someone say that they have brought in 3 of the 22 players they're planning on bringing in.

Robert Taylor, enjoy the ride, you lucky bastard.

Reactions: Kenny and Vallos
I doubt they’ll go undefeated for the season that seems like hyperbole. I also doubt that MLS defenders are going to “ figure out “ how to defend a man who’s averaged .83 goals a game in top European leagues and 5 times scored more goals than games played .

Reactions: Vallos
Further WRT Miami: I think teams will adjust. I won't be shocked if Miami makes the playoffs and goes far, but I think teams will look at what has been happening and make corrections, just as they did with Pirlo in 2015. He looked unstoppable for 4-5 games and then suddenly not so much. I know Messi is another level (or three) but some of the play against has been ridiculous. Miami's fourth goal last night involved a Miami fast break where all three defenders chased Messi and he made n absurdly open and easy pass to Taylor. It was U8 level defending, but everyone is in the "OMG it's Messi what do we do?!" stage. They are also giving Bousquets too much room to work, which is the same mistake teams made with Pirlo when he first came in. MLS defenders adapted simply by closing in on Pirlo immediately every time he received the ball. It won't be this easy all the time.

Miami needs 26 out of 36 possible points to get to 44, which may or may not be enough. Miami actually has had a slightly harder schedule than NYC so far, but their remaining is not as easy as NYC. Even split of 6H 6A. They play Away games at LAFC and Atlanta, plus surprisingly-tough-at-home Chicago. DC had an amazing run to the playoffs after Rooney came, and Messi and Friends is a bigger upgrade than Wayne alone, but DC also had almost all home games because their stadium opened and they played almost all Away the first half of the season. I'm not even kidding about 1-1 against NYCFC. Since shutting down the set piece leakage, NYCFC defense is very solid.

Finally, if Miami powers through and wins the tournament, I expect a completely natural let down afterwards, and then they focus on a fresh start to try to win the league in 2024.

Again, I won't be shocked if Miami makes enough of a run to squeak into the playoffs, but I'd put the likelihood at least somewhat against.