2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It would be poetic if we eliminate them in the playoffs with him in our net!

One of my friends just reminded me, he started against us back in 2019. We won 4-2. His family actually sat behind us in section 114b that day. Maxi scored two PKs that game and I remember turning around and assuring them Freese would make the save on the first one because Maxi couldn’t score pens to save his life. Maxi proceeded to bury the kick for a goal. He then scored a second penalty later on and I turned around, shrugged and laughed. Oops… lol

Edit: wow what a forgotten memory that I remember clear as day now. The human brain is weird.

One of my friends just reminded me, he started against us back in 2019. We won 4-2. His family actually sat behind us in section 114b that day. Maxi scored two PKs that game and I remember turning around and assuring them Freese would make the save on the first one because Maxi couldn’t score pens to save his life. Maxi proceeded to bury the kick for a goal. He then scored a second penalty later on and I turned around, shrugged and laughed. Oops… lol

Edit: wow what a forgotten memory that I remember clear as day now. The human brain is weird.

He was also in net for the 2021 conference final. If memory serves, he was pretty good in that game until we finally broke through.

So we're reportedly interested in signing a 24-year-old goalie, a 23-year-old central defender, and maybe a 26-year-old left back.

I'm perfectly fine with a youth movement, but you have to have a little experience on the roster. You have to have a few veterans to lead and teach these young guys how to act. Are Maxime Chanot and Alfredo Morales really going to be the only leaders on the roster this year? I think that's my biggest question mark with what we're doing. On some level, we need some experienced guys out there.

So we're reportedly interested in signing a 24-year-old goalie, a 23-year-old central defender, and maybe a 26-year-old left back.

I'm perfectly fine with a youth movement, but you have to have a little experience on the roster. You have to have a few veterans to lead and teach these young guys how to act. Are Maxime Chanot and Alfredo Morales really going to be the only leaders on the roster this year? I think that's my biggest question mark with what we're doing. On some level, we need some experienced guys out there.
Parks has been playing professionally for 8 years. Martins is 28 and professional for 10.
It’s a young squad pending other additions but it has a decent base of veterans.

Chanot and AM were the most vocal and active leaders (along with SJ) even when Maxi and Callens were here, so I don’t think leadership will be a big concern (and also add in some of the others as MG just noted).

The age convo going around makes me wonder if htat's why the team might be thinking of finding some core aging star with loads of experience? The last X years we've not needed that, having Maxi and the others... but now with them all gone, they're considering it? (shrug) just a thought

Reactions: Kjbert
Parks has been playing professionally for 8 years. Martins is 28 and professional for 10.
It’s a young squad pending other additions but it has a decent base of veterans.

Fair -- I guess I still consider Parks young, and I didn't think of Martins. You're right, the two of them are definitely in the leadership group. Still feels like a lot of young players we're bringing in the last couple years.

Reactions: mgarbowski
My only concern with this group of veteran players is injury history. Parks, Chanot, Martins and Morales have been known to be out of the starting 11 for long durations of time. I always saw Sean, and Callens as the rock that held up the veterans and it seems like 1 for sure, probably maybe both are gone.

My only concern with this group of veteran players is injury history. Parks, Chanot, Martins and Morales have been known to be out of the starting 11 for long durations of time. I always saw Sean, and Callens as the rock that held up the veterans and it seems like 1 for sure, probably maybe both are gone.
Chanot is usually fine if you wrap a bloody bandage around his head, but yes.

barring yet another blood clot, i think Parks should be good this year. he doesn't have the same wear and tear on his body due to his being out for those the last 2 seasons. hopefully he'll be able to play a full season this year and not have any bad injuries.

morales is a worry. he's already got both ankles taped up real good and it's preseason.

That’s my recollection too. Maybe he can step out from Blakes shadow the way Stuver did from SJ’s.

Freese was on $137,000 guaranteed salary last year, so our three goalies are likely to cost under a combined $500,000 and are all Americans. Johnson, on his own, was $550,000. So hopefully this means we can make upgrades elsewhere under the cap.