After Speaking With My Account Manager

First and foremost, NYCFC disrespected us, the supporters, fans, season ticket holders, etc by selling us false pretenses.
I don't want a refund.
I also don't want to voice my opinion to some "sales representative" that at the end of day does not give a f... of what I have to say.
I am pissed and there's really nothing g I can do. Its been days and the team has not even face forward to us about the fiasco so pretty much its all business at the end of the day.
I'm happy that NYC finally has a team, whether is a farm team, feeders club or whatever name they want to call the team nowadays.
For what is worth, I will definitely and cannot wait to give FP a proper welcome in July.

Sigh. Rant's over. I'm feeling much better.

I sent an e-mail to my rep (below) yesterday, didn't have a chance to post or catch up on this thread until now. I'm skimmed and the only additional 'factual' points I have to add from his response is that 1) they are searching for a 3rd DP right now, 2) he didn't know what exactly the contract situation was before/now but didn't expect that there would be transparency on that because the FO has not clarified with the reps.

He was genuinely interested in hearing from me/sympathetic to the issues I raised. Even if it felt like he was issued talking points, or given no information on certain points I wanted addressed, I did appreciate the call. He also mentioned that my jersey issue was being forwarded to the fan services dep't and he would get back to me about how it's going to be resolved.

Subject: Why I would like NYCFC to exchange my Frank Lampard jersey

No doubt you and other account executives at NYCFC have received a deluge of e-mails and phone calls from season ticket holders about Frank Lampard, which, from where I am sitting, is as it should be. But I’d like to give you a bit of background about where I am coming from, personally.

I didn’t grow up playing soccer, and only began casually watching it during the 2002 World Cup. Occasionally played pick up games with classmates in the park during college. Watched a bit more of the 2006 World Cup than I did in 2002. Then during law school, my classmates had intramural pickup games on Wednesdays, people of all skill levels (or no skill at all) were welcome. Probably as a result of that, I began to watch soccer more regularly, mostly the English Premier League. But two years ago, I attended my first MLS game in Chicago with my sister when we were visiting family. It was a lot of fun. The following season I casually watched Chicago but it was hard to follow a team closely from so far away. By that time, there had already been murmurs about when NYC would get an expansion team and I was greatly looking forward to it. I’ve never been a season ticket holder to a sport before. But working at a public defender office in the South Bronx just blocks from Yankee Stadium, I was excited to become one of the first three thousand “founding members” of NYCFC, which I did in April 2014. I’ve been enthusiastically following NYCFC’s signings, joined The Third Rail, and read the NYCFC forums when I can.

In September, Frank Lampard sat down with Rog and Davo (also an NYCFC season ticket holder and supporter) for a Men In Blazers interview. During that interview, he reiterated remarks he had made earlier when he “signed” with NYCFC. Regarding MLS, he said:
  • The quality has gone up and up. We can see that. I’ve been watching games in the MLS back home for a long time now. The respect MLS has around the world has gone up huge amounts, and it’s the same for me.
  • I know from talking in dressing rooms over the last years that players are interested in moving out here and playing. It might not have ben the same five or 10 years ago, but certainly now they are.
And about playing for NYCFC, he said:
  • I’ve seen a real long-term plan from everyone involved in the club and I wanted to be a part of that
  • I’ll give everything. I’d love to make the New York City fans see that in me and realize that I’m a player that wants to show I’m a part of them so we can bring a team here that we’re very proud of. If I can do that I’ll go away a happy man.
It was on that basis that, when I decided to shell out $150 for authentic jersey with player customization (the first soccer jersey I have ever owned with any individual player’s name and number) I selected Lampard. Not because I am specifically a Frank Lampard fan or loyalist, but because, rather foolishly, I took those comments and interviews about team building at face value. I valued Jason Kreis’s opinion that when looking at soccer ability, leadership and character, Frank Lampard was “A-plus-plus-plus.”

As a founding member, I find it hard to express how distasteful this entire affair has been. From Kreis saying in September 2014 that there was “no truth” to the “rumor” of Lampard’s loan in Manchester being extended, to silence from NYCFC while Pellegrini spoke publicly about his desire to keep Lampard (and of Lampard’s desire to stay), to the announcement of the loan extension, to the revelation that it was not a loan extension at all but a season long contract with Manchester City with a “break clause” that was supposed to end January 1, to Pellegrini’s further innuendo that Lampard may stay on at Manchester City for another season.

I would be embarrassed to show up on opening day at Yankee Stadium in his jersey. I would be embarrassed to wear his jersey when he shows up for MLS midway through the season, if he does at all.

Please don’t respond to this e-mail by:
  • sending the same canned response that other fans have received that you “understand that there will be some disappointment amongst sections of our fans”
  • reminding me that Lampard scored the winning goal for MCFC against Sunderland and MCFC is rewarded by his contributions on the field every single day
  • parroting Claudio Reyna, that Lampard is eager to come to NYCFC this season, he’ll be ready to play on arrival, and will be a permanent member of the squad (which neither the publicly available information, nor Lampard, has confirmed)
Please do:
  • offer to exchange my NYCFC jersey for another not bearing Lampard #8
  • make this situation right for your fans, the team and the league

Last edited:
I sent an e-mail to my rep (below) yesterday, didn't have a chance to post or catch up on this thread until now. I'm skimmed and the only additional 'factual' points I have to add from his response is that 1) they are searching for a 3rd DP right now, 2) he didn't know what exactly the contract situation was before/now but didn't expect that there would be transparency on that because the FO has not clarified with the reps.

He was genuinely interested in hearing from me/sympathetic to the issues I raised. Even if it felt like he was issued talking points, or given no information on certain points I wanted addressed, I did appreciate the call. He also mentioned that my jersey issue was being forwarded to the fan services dep't and he would get back to me about how it's going to be resolved.
That is a great letter

I'm not sure it's about whether you root for NYCFC or MCFC first but rather how many MCFC fans see the role of NYCFC in CFG. Most MCFC fans see NYCFC's role solely in terms of the benefits it provides to MCFC: i.e. potential avenues to get around FFP, development, brand growth, etc. I'm a MCFC fan, but I don't see NYCFC's role that way. Rather, I see NYCFC as its own club making its own statement and impact on the US scene, with benefits to MCFC only tangentially through development and enhanced scouting ability in underserved US.

I agree 100%.

Mike I respect your opinion on the matter, but I don't think CFG made a 100M plus investment for their flagship to benefit only tangentially. That's not to say the power won't shift down the road (a long ways down the road, like when I'm wearing diapers again). We are our own club, to a degree. I do think we'll make our own statement and impact but it will most definitely by heavily influenced and driven by Man City. and I knew that when I deceided to follow NYCFC. Doesn't mean I'm 100% OK with it, but it's the reality of the situation.

CFG is sell a brand call CITY. CITY is a football group with football teams in different countries that have the same values. 1) To play great attacking football and 2) to give back to the local community they are in. True the blueprint for this was set up in manchester and this before the takeover. I feel the aim of the group is 3 teams one set of values. This is what the Cityzens program points to. Right now Manchester is driving it as NYCFC is not set up, in the future it will be more local.

Agree this is a strong letter. Please follow up when you hear about the jersey.

Related but separate, there were at least some statements about asking for ticket refunds (not as much as CFG defenders always brought up, but some nonetheless). I have not heard any reports on that. If anyone asked for a refund I would love to hear the response from the club. Not just the yes or more likely no, but the details around it.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
CFG is sell a brand call CITY. CITY is a football group with football teams in different countries that have the same values. 1) To play great attacking football and 2) to give back to the local community they are in. True the blueprint for this was set up in manchester and this before the takeover. I feel the aim of the group is 3 teams one set of values. This is what the Cityzens program points to. Right now Manchester is driving it as NYCFC is not set up, in the future it will be more local.

Enough already with the fracking values.

Fraud. Lies. Deception

And if people keep raising the so called wonderful CFG values at some point we have to talk about other issues relating to ownership. I'm being as vague as I can be here. I think everyone knows what I mean and let's just not go there. But let's not pretend this Group has any really positive values either. At best the values they pretend to have are a whitewash.

Reactions: doctorhoosier

pretty much what I said. But don't forget about Japan in the global scheme, CFG have a 20% stake in Yokohama F-Marinos

Agree this is a strong letter. Please follow up when you hear about the jersey.

Related but separate, there were at least some statements about asking for ticket refunds (not as much as CFG defenders always brought up, but some nonetheless). I have not heard any reports on that. If anyone asked for a refund I would love to hear the response from the club. Not just the yes or more likely no, but the details around it.

I read somewhere, can't recall where maybe on Facebook or Reddit, that one fan did receive a full refund, but only after the rep repeatedly kept trying to convince this person to keep them. If this is true, it means you can get a refund if you're persistant.

pretty much what I said. But don't forget about Japan in the global scheme, CFG have a 20% stake in Yokohama F-Marinos

I am not sure yet about Yokohama. This may have been done to get money out of Nissan. Setting up a team or buying a team in Japan makes sense but having a 20% stake, don't know what the reason is for that. NYCFC and MelCFC are about growing the CITY brand showing the world the CITY way as so to speak. Not sure what Yokohama brings to the table.

Last edited:
it's this simple:

frank went to MCFC w/ the expectation to just keep in shape & not really not play a whole lot. MCFC had some injuries, he got more minutes early on than i think we all expected. he did really good & became valuable to them, unexpectedly. the end.

I am no sure yet about Yokohama. This may have been done to get money out of Nissan. Setting up a team or buying a team in Japan makes sense but having a 20% stake, don't know what the reason is for that. NYCFC and MelCFC are about growing the CITY brand showing the world the CITY way as so to speak. Not sure what Yokohama brings to the table.

I think there are stricter rules about foreign ownership in Japan. I remember reading that there was something which prevented CFG from buying Yokohama outright, and that they were trying to get those rules relaxed.

Reactions: Goodfella
it's this simple:

frank went to MCFC w/ the expectation to just keep in shape & not really not play a whole lot. MCFC had some injuries, he got more minutes early on than i think we all expected. he did really good & became valuable to them, unexpectedly. the end.

You missed the part where, long before there was any hint of injury problems or his performance level was known, they signed him on a one year deal to MCFC that made the transition from playing until January to playing the full season as painless as possible. Or the part where they told everyone that he was signed to NYCFC and (cleverly avoided saying it outright but) allowed everyone to believe that he was in Manchester on a loan when he was really under contract.

it's this simple:

Did your rep say that to you? My rep said that almost verbatim. Unless...you are my rep?

The other possibility is, and this would be concerning, CFG/MCFC lied flat out to NYCFC. They told them the lie, and NYCFC believe it told all us. Hard for me to believe that NYCFC is this clueless, but it could have happened. Other possibility is that CFG/MCFC forced NYCFC's hand.

I don't know. All these scenarios are so hard to believe, even what has actually transpired.
Considering how "blindsided" by all of this my rep appears to be, I'm of the belief that this is a possibility.

They could be lying to us, too, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Reactions: Paul
Did your rep say that to you? My rep said that almost verbatim. Unless...you are my rep?

haha, no.

but i think to describe the timeline differently would be unfair/and not based on the facts.

i mean damn, everyone thought lampard was washed up and had nothing left to the premier league. i just can't be anything other than disappointed and even then, it's a few months more to wait. i'm supporting NYCFC, not any one player and the team isn't materially different.

You missed the part where, long before there was any hint of injury problems or his performance level was known, they signed him on a one year deal to MCFC that made the transition from playing until January to playing the full season as painless as possible. Or the part where they told everyone that he was signed to NYCFC and (cleverly avoided saying it outright but) allowed everyone to believe that he was in Manchester on a loan when he was really under contract.

the only reason his contract was a problem is b/c he exceeded expectations so incredibly. but i agree, this disturbs me.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think there are stricter rules about foreign ownership in Japan. I remember reading that there was something which prevented CFG from buying Yokohama outright, and that they were trying to get those rules relaxed.

I hope they can buy it even though I'd have to change my name. Also we need to set up a team in China.

haha, no.

but i think to describe the timeline differently would be unfair/and not based on the facts.

i mean damn, everyone thought lampard was washed up and had nothing left to the premier league. i just can't be anything other than disappointed and even then, it's a few months more to wait. i'm supporting NYCFC, not any one player and the team isn't materially different.

I have to say Lampard surprised me. Having said that it appears he is better off the bench. He was not great on Sunday. Though in fairness to Frank the whole team was rubbish.