Atlanta - Postmatch - Eastern Conference Semifinals Leg 2

i have it from an inside source that Villa and Dome dont get along. Supposedly a lot of the "bigger" players dont respect him.

If that’s the case, it’s hard to tell if Villa is truly done or just lacked the effort because he won’t fight for Dome

In either case I thinks time to let Villa go and hope CFG spend the $$$’s to bring in a big name replacement that had Domes backing , gets butts back in the yankee stadium seats and he can rebuild the team around next year

In the league office, there's definitely some match fixing or tinkering or leanings to help the league grow. And it should be criminally prosecuted by the DOJ.

giphy.gif

You have to segment the data. As mgarbowski mgarbowski pointed out, there are 3 phases to the Dome reign. Part 1) continuation. Part 2) experimentation. Part 3) proposal.

I liked the way we set up positionally in the second half. It was ballsy, physical and technical. I think we are some cohesion and or one or two key signings away from producing Man City esque football.

I fully agree...the fact that 14/15 last rosters were all different, injuries notwithstanding, tells me Dome is in an experimental phase, although my 3rd phase would be "execution," and in order for that to click we need time. Remember, he made it clear from the get-go that the Shield was not the objective. He also came at a time where there was seemingly no time to adjust, it was Vieira out/Dome in and that's that, so no real ramp-up period. Mathematically we were coasting to the playoffs when Dome came on so I'm guessing it was sacrifice time to experiment. I'm sure with the revenue Man City is bringing in, CFG has some breathing room to play a little with NYC, at least from a business perspective. Granted, there is a lot of stock in Dome because of the Guardiola factor and I am all-in on that as well. Will we get to Man City level play? I'm thinking no, but everything is relative...I certainly think we can be the Man City of MLS. What we absolutely need is our own damn Stadium! I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds home games difficult to watch, and the fact that we play on a pitch with laughable, albeit legal, dimensions, is just something that shouldn't be, especially for a CFG squad. Maybe throw in a big DP signing as well and we may be able to enjoy and build upon the DC United effect. We have lot to look forward to next season. It's really easy to blame Dome, the numbers all point to it. But my eye is on the big picture and the machine that is CFG behind all of it. Let's see what the off-season shenanigans bring. Come on City!!

I fully agree...the fact that 14/15 last rosters were all different, injuries notwithstanding, tells me Dome is in an experimental phase, although my 3rd phase would be "execution," and in order for that to click we need time. Remember, he made it clear from the get-go that the Shield was not the objective. He also came at a time where there was seemingly no time to adjust, it was Vieira out/Dome in and that's that, so no real ramp-up period. Mathematically we were coasting to the playoffs when Dome came on so I'm guessing it was sacrifice time to experiment. I'm sure with the revenue Man City is bringing in, CFG has some breathing room to play a little with NYC, at least from a business perspective. Granted, there is a lot of stock in Dome because of the Guardiola factor and I am all-in on that as well. Will we get to Man City level play? I'm thinking no, but everything is relative...I certainly think we can be the Man City of MLS. What we absolutely need is our own damn Stadium! I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds home games difficult to watch, and the fact that we play on a pitch with laughable, albeit legal, dimensions, is just something that shouldn't be, especially for a CFG squad. Maybe throw in a big DP signing as well and we may be able to enjoy and build upon the DC United effect. We have lot to look forward to next season. It's really easy to blame Dome, the numbers all point to it. But my eye is on the big picture and the machine that is CFG behind all of it. Let's see what the off-season shenanigans bring. Come on City!!
Though I do not share your rosy outlook, I admire it.

Last night I thought was arguably Taty's best game of the season*. He was dangerous and making good runs. The shot he took was very well done. There was also a point in the 68' minute where he was making a great run in behind the defense that I think he could have easily been played through, but Medina failed to see it and/or pull the trigger.

*Best game of actual play. As everyone else noted, all the other crap he pulled last night was ridiculous and embarrassing.

I do hope he's back. I thought the biggest issue he had his short time here this season was a lack of chemistry with the team.

I agree with you, I thought he played well and I hope he stays. His antics were embarrassing but I'm willing to chalk it up to a 20 year old getting lost in the moment. Maybe some credit should also go to Guzan for being a savy vet that wanted the kill some time and cleverly baited a less experienced player into helping him kill over a minute of time while Gieger had to police it. I hope Taty stays and we bring in more players like him. He plays hard on both ends and he's completely unfazed by the physicality of the league. He took no time to adjust and immediately fit right in. Meanwhile somewhere Medina just crumpled at the thought of an MLS defender.

I agree with you, I thought he played well and I hope he stays. His antics were embarrassing but I'm willing to chalk it up to a 20 year old getting lost in the moment. Maybe some credit should also go to Guzan for being a savy vet that wanted the kill some time and cleverly baited a less experienced player into helping him kill over a minute of time while Gieger had to police it. I hope Taty stays and we bring in more players like him. He plays hard on both ends and he's completely unfazed by the physicality of the league. He took no time to adjust and immediately fit right in. Meanwhile somewhere Medina just crumpled at the thought of an MLS defender.
And he can't leave before he scores on a bicycle kick.

Reactions: gbservis
My perspective is probably biased by seeing the 42-pass goal that Man City scored against Man U in the morning, and seeing enough in our play to suggest that we might get to some MLS-y version of that. I think the aspiration is there, but I'm not sure about the execution at any level of the club operations in NYC, if I'm honest.

So we can all agree that NYCFC was the worse team over both legs and did not deserve to beat Atlanta in this series.

However, they did have some small individual moments that did not go their way. At this level - individual moments change football matches. Focusing on ref calls, imagine two things go nycfc’s way:

1. Either Josef is called for a penalty or that play is allowed to continue and NYCFC scores (either by penalty or the actual goal) in the first game
2. Martinez is called off and/or his foul on Herrera in the attacking phase is called in the second game to end that attack

Keep everything else the same and the game is tied 2-2 going into the second half. Yes, game states would have been different if those calls went that way, but it just feels that NYCFC has gotten the short end of the stick on those calls (how many times does instant replay say the ref got the call wrong, etc).

At this high level small individual moments turn the game. Until the Josef goal in the 80+ minute yesterday Atlanta had scored three goals: set piece, penalty, free kick. Individual moments.

So we can all agree that NYCFC was the worse team over both legs and did not deserve to beat Atlanta in this series.

However, they did have some small individual moments that did not go their way. At this level - individual moments change football matches. Focusing on ref calls, imagine two things go nycfc’s way:

1. Either Josef is called for a penalty or that play is allowed to continue and NYCFC scores (either by penalty or the actual goal) in the first game
2. Martinez is called off and/or his foul on Herrera in the attacking phase is called in the second game to end that attack

Keep everything else the same and the game is tied 2-2 going into the second half. Yes, game states would have been different if those calls went that way, but it just feels that NYCFC has gotten the short end of the stick on those calls (how many times does instant replay say the ref got the call wrong, etc).

At this high level small individual moments turn the game. Until the Josef goal in the 80+ minute yesterday Atlanta had scored three goals: set piece, penalty, free kick. Individual moments.
I really thought our only chances were going to be set pieces. Herrera’s almost header was a cracker. Chanot got his. And the one run of play that I thought was going do it was Maxi’s header between the CBs.... but all three of those were types of plays we weren’t good at this year, so 1of3 was the best we could expect from setpieces and 5’2” headers. Our Breda&butter this year was scoring during the run of play, and we didn’t look creative enough to pull it off.

After a few days I've come to accept that Atlanta was just the better team with better players and a better coach. Some of that is from an owner that's more willing to spend than ours but also not to be overlooked is the fact that Atlanta came into the league with much more favorable set of expansion team rules. There was a ton of extra TAM/GAM and whatever else they want to call it running around on that pitch for Atlanta. It sucks to be one of the last teams to enter under the old crappy rules. For the health of the league I'm happy they have tweaked things to make sure teams come in on a better footing. Not forcing teams to try to build a fan base with a pitch full of Wingerts and Grabavoys is a very good thing for the league as a whole. Now the league just needs to improve its vetting process and stop letting cheap owners in like Minn United.

My only residual frustration is with CFG at this point. The difference between spending on guys like Almilron vs Medina was on full display. It's going to take me a long time to get over them wasting prime Villa years because the decided to go cheap post Lampard and Pirlo. My worry is that they don't see a reason to spend until we get a stadium and they are going to go cheap and try to string things a long until then.

My worry is that they don't see a reason to spend until we get a stadium
I'm honestly curious what the mood inside CFG is about the stadium situation. I'm wondering at what point they decide it's too hard to get done. We know that the organization wouldn't be morally opposed to simply outright buying whatever they need to make it happen (land, politicians, etc.), which makes me wonder if the UAE connection is simply too politically compromised for the city to want to play (metaphorical) ball.

Reactions: Ulrich and gbservis
I feel you. I was there. I would say go back to the mgarbowski mgarbowski analysis in the "chasing a narrative thread". There is a clear difference between the last 10 and the first 9 games. The last 3 we played the same system as the first 9. And apart from a few defensive mistakes, we were dominant.

Is there a 2018 version of this thread? Or did you just mean applying that kind of principle/analysis as he did in the 2017 version? Couldn't find anything for this season