CCL - April 6 - Seattle (Away)

PS -- I also think the best thing Ronny could do for this squad is book some getaway where the boys can all get together for a night at a beach house or something and get absolutely shithouse drunk. No business, no football. Just blow it out and wake up the next day and eat big plates of scrambled eggs and go home and dress for practice and sweat it all out.

Not that I have any personal experience with anything like that. I'm just sayin' . . .

we' also aren't as deep as we used to be. our starting 11 used to have a top 5 in the league at nearly every position. now, we're lucky to have 3 (taty, maxi, callens)
I agree about the depth, especially on defense with the injuries. But the starters? We lost 3 starters from last year: Sands, Gudi, and Medina. Maybe count Shradi as half (he started 14 games in 2021). Sands is the only one on any top 5 lists, though we certainly miss Gudi. And he only started 20 games himself - he was basically 60% of a left back duo. I would argue our starting wingers last night are an upgrade over a Medina/Shradi combo, even if Talles and Andrade aren't Top 5 (yet?).
Oh, and we totally miss James Sands. Totally.
I think our 2022 problems are missing Tinnerholm, Chanot, and Sands.
Chanot, Sands and Callens allowed both outside backs to go forward with minimal risk, and almost always cleaned up other players' failures on defense. Tinnerholm required less cover than the Thorarinsson/Amundsen combo on the left, so the big three could shade their attention to their sidewhile completely smothering the middle. Tayvon Gray is solid but is not as complete on the entire range of the Tinnerholm spectrum of offense to defense and back. Having Chanot and Sands late last year allowed us to get through the playoffs despite missing Tinnerholm. Chanot/Callens/Sands were that good.

I really wish we hadn't given up the third goal, however it happened. But 3-1 in Seattle without Maxi or Chanot (Tinnerholm is gone for too long to cry about any single game) is a decent result.

Last edited:
That third Seattle goal really changes the complexion of the series, and to be given on a VAR review…really tough break.
Kind of like the 4th Columbus goal in the playoffs a few years back.

Overall, I thought Seattle just looked like total class. Yes, you can pick on some defensive mistakes as you can with any goal. Still, they weren't easy mistakes to exploit, and Seattle did. They had a clear strategy and terrific execution. They're on a higher plane right now - no shame in losing to those guys.

Reactions: ZYanksRule
I agree about the depth, especially on defense with the injuries. But the starters? We lost 3 starters from last year: Sands, Gudi, and Medina. Maybe count Shradi as half (he started 14 games in 2021). Sands is the only one on any top 5 lists, though we certainly miss Gudi. And he only started 20 games himself - he was basically 60% of a left back duo. I would argue our starting wingers last night are an upgrade over a Medina/Shradi combo, even if Talles and Andrade aren't Top 5 (yet?).

I think our 2022 problems are missing Tinnerholm, Chanot, and Sands.
Chanot, Sands and Callens allowed both outside backs to go forward with minimal risk, and almost always cleaned up other players' failures on defense. Tinnerholm required less cover than the Thorarinsson/Amundsen combo on the left, so the big three could shade their attention to their sidewhile completely smothering the middle. Tayvon Gray is solid but is not as complete on the entire range of the Tinnerholm spectrum of offense to defense and back. Having Chanot and Sands late last year allowed us to get through the playoffs despite missing Tinnerholm. Chanot/Callens/Sands were that good.

I really wish we hadn't given up the third goal, however it happened. But 3-1 in Seattle without Maxi or Chanot (Tinnerholm is gone for too long to cry about any single game) is a decent result.
Sands is the bigger one for me right now. I don't think he allows Rusnak's run to go completely unmarked (either by marking it himself, or communicating it to someone else, he was a great on-field communicator) and I think he doesn't allow the space for the cross on the second goal either.

But like you said, 3-1 at Seattle isn't a terrible result. Would have loved 3-2 or 2-1, but 3-1 is ok. Especially without Maxi.

Sands is the bigger one for me right now. I don't think he allows Rusnak's run to go completely unmarked (either by marking it himself, or communicating it to someone else, he was a great on-field communicator) and I think he doesn't allow the space for the cross on the second goal either.

But like you said, 3-1 at Seattle isn't a terrible result. Would have loved 3-2 or 2-1, but 3-1 is ok. Especially without Maxi.
Wasn’t able to watch last night, what was the reason maxi was not available?

Wasn’t able to watch last night, what was the reason maxi was not available?

Injured in training on the turf field Wednesday night. I did not hear them say what the injury was on the broadcast but they did mention a couple of times that we would likely have him for the return leg so hopefully, the commentators had details that the injury is minor and they weren't just blindly speculating.

Reactions: JCMore
Injured in training on the turf field Wednesday night. I did not hear them say what the injury was on the broadcast but they did mention a couple of times that we would likely have him for the return leg so hopefully, the commentators had details that the injury is minor and they weren't just blindly speculating.
Announcers said it's a "trunk injury" - whatever that is. Announcers also said team is optimistic he will be available for the return leg.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Anyone else as confused as I am that we got to enjoy John Strong and Warren Barton for the live broadcast, but for the highlights on the MLS app, the announcer is the same guy who did the earlier rounds?

Reactions: Shwafta
I think "trunk" injury term came up a few times on the broadcast... assume it's something in the upper body?
[IMAGE LINK]
1649338248532.png

Reactions: gbservis
That third Seattle goal really changes the complexion of the series, and to be given on a VAR review…really tough break.
We’re not getting the breaks on top of not playing well.
I think "trunk" injury term came up a few times on the broadcast... assume it's something in the upper body?
[IMAGE LINK]
View attachment 11985
Rony said bruised ribs.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Anyone else as confused as I am that we got to enjoy John Strong and Warren Barton for the live broadcast, but for the highlights on the MLS app, the announcer is the same guy who did the earlier rounds?

MLS things? Maybe they needed audio where the announcers called the players by the correct names. I agree Strong and Barton were enjoyable for the most part but they could not get the names of our backline sorted the entire game I think every defender and D-mid got called "Callens" at some point.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Kind of like the 4th Columbus goal in the playoffs a few years back.

Overall, I thought Seattle just looked like total class. Yes, you can pick on some defensive mistakes as you can with any goal. Still, they weren't easy mistakes to exploit, and Seattle did. They had a clear strategy and terrific execution. They're on a higher plane right now - no shame in losing to those guys.

yep. I had this sinking feeling that this was a trap especially as Seattle was getting all their big guns back and the story was exactly that: Morris, Roldan, Lodeiro, Ruidiaz all either had goals or played a key part in them. That’s a dominant front four.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
[IMAGE LINK]
It's either this, or his luggage.
UfPL.gif

That
NYCFC have played 10 matches so far this season and have had 8 different back line / defensive mid combinations.

I agree that does not help, but that involves so much of the starting 11 that it almost becomes an inconsequential stat. For example in the last 10 regular season games from last year, they rotated through 9 different double pivot /back line combinations.

That

I agree that does not help, but that involves so much of the starting 11 that it almost becomes an inconsequential stat. For example in the last 10 regular season games from last year, they rotated through 9 different double pivot /back line combinations.
Right, but I think it's a lot different at the end of the season with guys who have been there all year long vs at the start of the season when the guys playing there include:
  1. A new signing (Martins)
  2. A player returning from significant injury (Parks)
  3. A player returning from international duty and another system/partnerships there (Callens)
  4. A player who has never started for the first team (Gloster)
  5. A player playing in a completely new position (Acevedo at RB)
  6. A player who is playing out of their preferred spot, even if they have played it before sparingly (Jasson)
  7. Three different formations (4-2-3-1, 3-4-3 with a diamond, 3-5-2)
When it's the end of the season, a lot of the above has been worked out and the guys are going to be a lot more comfortable with interchanging parts, having accrued many, many minutes over the season and in training.

i have not checked the App, but were the other highlights of other CCL games the same? It could be a concacaf thing that they have to use their feed for highlights.