CCL - March 15 - Comunicaciones (Away)

No one will believe me, but I actually did think at the time of the subs, "With this altitude, perhaps we should have waited 10 minutes."

Héber, sadly, is done.

Could've used some Tums during the final 20 minutes of the match. I'm not going to say that the substitutions we're too early, but it definitely felt like putting all 4 in at the same time was Ronny taking a victory lap.

Once in, none of them really did much of anything and I have serious concerns about Heber and what he can contribute at this point. Can we all agree that Gloster should never see the field again? Acevedo was also awful - a complete turnover machine.

Can we also address the formation? This 5 at the back is not working. There's not enough support in the midfield to get the ball from the back to the forwards.

TL/DR - glad we survived but that was an awful performance outside Taty and Talles.

On the last Comunicaciones goal, a long ball was played and would have likely gone out for a goal kick, Callens was calling for Gloster to let it go. Gloster plays it back with a header, Comunicaciones takes possession, long shot goes in.

Very poor communication (on Gloster's part IMO) leading to the frenzy into stoppage time. He struggled elsewhere too, but that one really sticks out at me.

Reactions: danger
Subs were fine - and advised. The players were the issue.

Acevedo was a turnover machine in the first half, but he did seem to improve later. Among the subs, Gloster and Thiago...woof. Gloster never understood that they were hitting long and kept losing men on the wing. Thiago had no sense of the ball and was so slow to react on defense. His greatest asset is his speed - why not use it to close down on that long shot?

Thiago has proven his worth in the right situation, so he gets a pass. Gloster, though...let's hope there is some academy fullback we can promote. Or, can someone find Gudi? Hell, find out what Ben Sweat is doing.

Is it possible to have heber play nycfc II game during the FIFA break? I feel like he needs minutes, and confidence by scoring a goal. When he comes in he is needed to be in top form (or close to it) but he is not there yet ( I still believe in him)

No one will believe me, but I actually did think at the time of the subs, "With this altitude, perhaps we should have waited 10 minutes."

Héber, sadly, is done.
I was thinking the same thing about Heber. I’m wondering, where is he? And then when I notice him I’m like, is he almost 40 years old?
Our depth looked very shallow tonight. What a bullet dodge.

Is it possible to have heber play nycfc II game during the FIFA break? I feel like he needs minutes, and confidence by scoring a goal. When he comes in he is needed to be in top form (or close to it) but he is not there yet ( I still believe in him)

Heber needs a start. Let him open the game 4/9 against DC. It will give Taty some rest between semi-final legs, and DC is second tier (two wins against Charlotte and Cincinnati, a loss against Chicago - I am unimpressed).

Reactions: LionNYC and Shwafta

At 1.25 minute of the video, we were saved by the goal line technology (if it has been introduced in CCL) or by the VAR! Without it, the referee could have made a mistake.

Last edited:
Also, how great is it to write an article praising NYCFC's set piece defense and they give up 3 across two legs and let up several other chances tonight......
Hopefully this one was an outlier. Lots of things went wrong, and we got some really bad individual performances. Maybe it was a combination of the altitude and the short rest, maybe we just didn't have it. And of course we weren't all that great against Comunicaciones in the first half of the first leg, either. It may have been just one of those CONCACAF things.

But we better not play like this against the Union. They'll hand us our ass.

Reactions: Shwafta
On the last Comunicaciones goal, a long ball was played and would have likely gone out for a goal kick, Callens was calling for Gloster to let it go. Gloster plays it back with a header, Comunicaciones takes possession, long shot goes in.

Very poor communication (on Gloster's part IMO) leading to the frenzy into stoppage time. He struggled elsewhere too, but that one really sticks out at me.

It was also gloster who took the ball down the flank and decided to serve a cross to NOBODY instead of taking it to the corner to eat the clock. I don't get why the coaching staff aren't hammering game management into these guys? Maybe they are and they aren't listening.

At 1.25 minute of the video, we were saved by the goal line technology!

I still don't think it goes in. The angle is poor. If I had the time and cared enough, i'd do the geometry but we advanced so i won't. lol..

They got their goal. The 3rd goal was offsides for sure and VAR didn't over turn it.

Yikes.

Some very bad performances. I'd like to chalk it up to congestion and elevation, but some players, like Gloster, were awful.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
MOTM - TATY without a doubt. without his golazo, we'd be out. plain and simple. the xG on that is probably what... .00002? lol

Talles with a great header, but otherwise wasn't very impactful. Staying down waiting for fouls is not gonna work. Get up and play. Young and strong, play like it.

I think there was something up with everyone tonight. I don't think anybody had consistent clean touches. Everyone had heavy touches and misjudged the ball. The ball died on that turf when you normally wouldn't expect it to.

It's no wonder that place is a fortress for las cremas.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
È stato anche gloster a prendere la palla lungo la fascia e ha deciso di servire un cross a NESSUNO invece di portarlo all'angolo per mangiare il tempo. Non capisco perché lo staff tecnico non sta martellando la gestione del gioco in questi ragazzi? Forse lo sono e non stanno ascoltando.

Continuo a non pensare che entri. L'angolo è scarso. Se avessi il tempo e mi interessasse abbastanza, farei la geometria ma siamo avanzati, quindi non lo farò. LOL..

Hanno ottenuto il loro obiettivo. Il 3° gol è sicuramente in fuorigioco e il VAR non lo ribalta.
[/CITAZIONE]

Yes, I also think that it isn't goal! But I have a curiosity: is there the goal line technology in CCL or this has been a VAR decision?

Last edited:
The game is being replayed on FS1. I wasn’t able to watch it earlier because it was on FS2. Also because I was passed out for the first half which didn’t help. Does anyone know what was shown on FS1 earlier that would have warranted not showing the game live to a larger audience?

is there the goal line technology in CCL or this has been a VAR decision?

VAR decision. there is no goal line tech anywhere in concacaf or leagues in concacaf

i think ronny's take away from this game is a great one.

Last edited:
That was a mess. Glad they escaped. As soon as Talles scored that goal, they took a shot of Ronny and you can clearly see him saying to put in Heber, and it looks like he starts listing guys. Clearly he thought the tie was over after that goal, and it almost wasn't.

One more game, then they get a well-deserved week off.

Everyone is getting on us on social media how bad we were and we shouldn't advance.

Yea I can admit we played poorly..but we scored the goals we needed to. Don't hate the player hate the game!

Also, if Seattle and revs choke this week, it'll shut those haters up real quick