CCL - March 15 - Comunicaciones (Away)

1. Anyone notice on the Taty goal his body language is really weird. He's leaning back, falling away. It's the kind of shape that usually results in skying the ball or just a weak shot. From that distance you'd expect the player needs to have their whole body moving through the ball to generate enough power. Just speaks to how strong Taty is.

2. Heber. Too much hate. When he came in we were in a defensive shell. He had zero support, zero service, zero Maxi. Any forward looks spent in that role.

3. Comunicaciones. Is it possible that they are just really exceptionally good, especially at home? Everyone is saying how horrible we were. I think they are exactly that good. I thought they were dangerous and unlucky in CT. I thought they were dangerous and unlucky in the first 60' last night.

4. Their 3rd goal. Absolutely passive offsides.

5. Their 4th goal. Anyone have the xG on that? It was from further out than Taty's goal I think. Thiago was running out but also guarding against full charge and getting beat. If SJ isn't screened he probably makes the save. It was a wonder strike. Sometimes that happens and you don't really need to blame. Players made reasonable decisions and just got beat by superior offense.

6. Ronny mentions long, sticky grass. The whole first half I kept commenting that our players seemed to be leaving their passes short.

7. Their press. Either they are just that good or Ronny failed to adjust. We seemed to always be out numbered or lacking an outlet. Was that because we were playing 3 ATB? Was it some other tactic? Or is Comunicaciones just that capable of sprinting for 90' at altitude?

Everyone is getting on us on social media how bad we were and we shouldn't advance.

Yea I can admit we played poorly..but we scored the goals we needed to. Don't hate the player hate the game!

Also, if Seattle and revs choke this week, it'll shut those haters up real quick

this is why im an nycfc fan not an MLS fan.

No one will believe me, but I actually did think at the time of the subs, "With this altitude, perhaps we should have waited 10 minutes."

Héber, sadly, is done.

same , the goal came against the run of play and they were dominating us

I would have preferred he waited a few more minutes to gain control and then switch out 2 players , then wait 5-10 min more and do 2 more

sticking 4 b-teamers on all at once with so much time to go was asking for them to go for it

1. Anyone notice on the Taty goal his body language is really weird. He's leaning back, falling away. It's the kind of shape that usually results in skying the ball or just a weak shot. From that distance you'd expect the player needs to have their whole body moving through the ball to generate enough power. Just speaks to how strong Taty is.

2. Heber. Too much hate. When he came in we were in a defensive shell. He had zero support, zero service, zero Maxi. Any forward looks spent in that role.

3. Comunicaciones. Is it possible that they are just really exceptionally good, especially at home? Everyone is saying how horrible we were. I think they are exactly that good. I thought they were dangerous and unlucky in CT. I thought they were dangerous and unlucky in the first 60' last night.

4. Their 3rd goal. Absolutely passive offsides.

5. Their 4th goal. Anyone have the xG on that? It was from further out than Taty's goal I think. Thiago was running out but also guarding against full charge and getting beat. If SJ isn't screened he probably makes the save. It was a wonder strike. Sometimes that happens and you don't really need to blame. Players made reasonable decisions and just got beat by superior offense.

6. Ronny mentions long, sticky grass. The whole first half I kept commenting that our players seemed to be leaving their passes short.

7. Their press. Either they are just that good or Ronny failed to adjust. We seemed to always be out numbered or lacking an outlet. Was that because we were playing 3 ATB? Was it some other tactic? Or is Comunicaciones just that capable of sprinting for 90' at altitude?
I'm going to say it was Acevedo not making himself available to the CBs when we had the ball at the back, making it seem like we were outnumbered. Was really hoping for Acevedo to shine being that he'd be getting time with Sands gone and Parks slowly getting back into the swing of things. He's gotten time and has.... done nothing with it. Disappointed in him thus far. Looks like Parks - Morales are our top two CMs, guaranteed starters when 100% healthy.

Any reason why Santi wasn't even in the 18? Just a rest day or did he get a knock vs. Montreal?

The third goal for los cremas should literally be a training video for what is passive offsides. The player literally moves toward the ball then let’s it go through his legs. Unbelievable that this wasn’t called back.

Reactions: moogoo and LionNYC
I'm going to say it was Acevedo not making himself available to the CBs when we had the ball at the back, making it seem like we were outnumbered. Was really hoping for Acevedo to shine being that he'd be getting time with Sands gone and Parks slowly getting back into the swing of things. He's gotten time and has.... done nothing with it. Disappointed in him thus far. Looks like Parks - Morales are our top two CMs, guaranteed starters when 100% healthy.

Any reason why Santi wasn't even in the 18? Just a rest day or did he get a knock vs. Montreal?
Santi picked up a knock vs Montreal. Ronny mentioned he was close to playing this game (this was said before the game).

It also doesn't help that Thiago Martins played in the middle of the back 3. He's the weakest of the three center backs in terms of passing so I'm really not sure why he's the guy in the middle there. Perhaps he's great organizationally and that's why, and I guess I would get that. I would just want someone stronger passing the ball under pressure there.

I mentioned before:

The last time we conceded four was against Tigres last year in the quarter finals of CCL. After that, we never let it 4 or more. We let in 3 against Dallas and Nashville during our rut, and against NE when they won 3-2.

I believe this was an outlier game. Besides, we now move on past another quarter final....!

The third goal for los cremas should literally be a training video for what is passive offsides. The player literally moves toward the ball then let’s it go through his legs. Unbelievable that this wasn’t called back.
Agreed. Every replay I saw indicated he attempted to play the ball in an offside position. The only thing I could see that would justify a no call would be if there wasn’t enough video evidence (a clear camera angle). I even said it was offside in real time

Reactions: LionNYC and moogoo
Small sample size of viewing CCL matches is that they are freaking chaotic. Officiating inconsistent with overly aggressive and actually abusive play allowed. I would say that last night was a lesson that you need to be mentally strong and somehow stay focused and in control. Last night was an escape job...

Small sample size of viewing CCL matches is that they are freaking chaotic. Officiating inconsistent with overly aggressive and actually abusive play allowed. I would say that last night was a lesson that you need to be mentally strong and somehow stay focused and in control. Last night was an escape job...

for sure.

I'm looking forward to seeing how seattle and the revs cope away from their plastic.

playing away in CCL is a different animal for MLS teams who are used to nicer fields and facilities. i dare say the MLS teams that won the CCL before the current iteration were able to do it not because they were that much better than today's teams, but because they knew how it was to play and perform on crappy fields, which was basically the norm back then.

I have yet to see DP quality from Thiago Martins. I am open to seeing him develop and gel with the team, but this is a 26 year old DP, he should be lighting up the field everytime he touches the field imo

I have yet to see DP quality from Thiago Martins. I am open to seeing him develop and gel with the team, but this is a 26 year old DP, he should be lighting up the field everytime he touches the field imo
I've seen good speed and aerial ability. Passing has not wowed and that "tackle" last night on the first goal we gave up... eesh.

he's not a true DP. he's a DP right now but likely won't be if we bring in a true DP in the summer.

also, even if he were a true DP, he hasn't been here that long and not everyone we want to be a great player is that great player once they arrive (e.g., Medina).
I think Martins has had some decent showings with his limited minutes. Last night was pretty bad from everyone except maybe Taty. Everyone gets a pass from me except acevedo.. he's just continuing his stink fest.

Reactions: twsj91
I've seen good speed and aerial ability. Passing has not wowed and that "tackle" last night on the first goal we gave up... eesh.
That was a 50/50. And that time it happened to go the way of their player.

I'm not a defender, but is what he attempted to do a valid way to try to get rid of the ball in that situation? Or is there a better option?

Agreed. Every replay I saw indicated he attempted to play the ball in an offside position. The only thing I could see that would justify a no call would be if there wasn’t enough video evidence (a clear camera angle). I even said it was offside in real time
I had questions about the second goal. I thought that almost all of the Comunicationes players had gone before the ball was kicked.
Can't tell from the angle if maybe Callens kept them on,

I'm not a defender, but is what he attempted to do a valid way to try to get rid of the ball in that situation? Or is there a better option?
I just thought he could have done better as our DP center back there.

I actually thought the second goal was offsides but the angle was tough. maybe Callens was keeping them on.Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 11.01.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-16 at 11.02.10 AM.png

My conspiracy theory of the day is that they didn’t actually have VAR tech at the game last night. Between the SJ goal-line clearance and the 2nd and 3rd Cremas goals that appeared clearly offsides to me, it’s inconceivable that none went to VAR.

As a defender my whole playing career, in this situation I would have gone in with a lot more force and made sure the ball wasn't getting past me.

Even in the highlights, you can hear a THUD when they both go in for the 50/50 tackle. The reason Martins loses is because he wasn't balanced and was already leaning to the side, thinking that he'd probably win the ball. This greatly reduces the force he's able to apply behind the ball. The cremas player was straight on center with his balance and force, so he wins it with no problem. Martins should have kept his body/balance centered to the ball to make the tackle or at worst, pushed the attacker to one side and then made the tackle. Seems like this was Martins underestimating the opponent or maybe inexperience?

I actually thought the second goal was offsides but the angle was tough. maybe Callens was keeping them on.

There is a better angle that was shown during the live broadcast that goes across the back line. Most of the cremas players are offsides, but the guy who heads it is onsides. Parks LETS HIM GO thinking he is offsides but everyone behind him (Parks) had dropped deeper already. He (33?) heads the ball, and there are 2 players in front of goal. One of these players is offsides and the other looked onsides to me by a bit. Johnson makes the save and the player who is onsides finishes. The offsides player didn't make any attempt.

the third goal, #33 for cremas as clearly offsides but it wasn't reversed. Let's say the first half goal line decision was a goal (i don't think it was)... refs probably gave them this one for that decision.